1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husqvarna WR 125 (144cc) 2004 problems and questions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by keetsy, Apr 11, 2021.

1. keetsy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna WR 125 -04 (144cc)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Monkey 91, Yamaha XT 172cc 07
    Hi! First time writing here. I'm from Finland so please keep that in mind when recommending places or shops. Sorry for the messy writing...

I have had this bike for a quite a while. More hours fixing it than riding it. Not going to write a full history, since thinking for the right terms would take a whole lot of hours.

2014 I sent the cylinder + head to Eric Gorr who was then doing business with Forward Motion. He (or whoever) bored it to 144cc and machined the head. I have read bunch of things about him later. Had no problems getting the big bore set.

Some years later I opened the whole motor and did the bearings, clutch etc. At this point the 144cc kit was still new and not used. Assembled the whole motor and got it running. Not many hours later I felt the cylinder pressure wasn't as high as it was before. Opened the head and noticed some scratches on the cylinder wall.

Immediately thought not going to run the bike before further inspections. Few years later, again thinking if I should do something about it.

So yeah. The question is, where should I send the cylinder for coating and where should I buy a new piston. Any ideas for Europe? I once sent a 125cc sylinder to Holland (if I recall right) and it was okay.

I do have some ideas but this time trying to do as much research as possible.

I also had some problems with the clutch after assembling the motor but will tell about it later.

Attached Files:

2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    What sort of drop in compression ? Did you check the squish after rebuild? What thickness base gasket did you use? I t doesnt look all that bad . I would keep running it .
  3. Sonnie Mee Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Team Motorex Husqvarna CR125
    I agree it doesn’t look to bad I would change the piston ring and run another 16hrs
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I would run a ball hone in it, and that will show you where the coating has worn through. The aluminum will look starkly different than the coating after a few passes. I bet that bridge area will look like all aluminum. If it looks the same as the rest of the barrel after alight flex hone, then I would run it. If not....no.
  5. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165

You sure about ball honing a ported cylinder??

Cant imagine that wouldnt beat up the transfer ports, and my understanding is you cant hone nikasil anyway?
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I have never had any problems with plated cylinders in the last 40 years. I think you give little aluminum oxide berries on springy stems a little too much credit. It will only take 4 or 5 back and forth passes to give the cylinder wall a very nice finish.