1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Husqvarna TE 510 problems

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by nidingr, Jul 25, 2013.

1. nidingr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE510 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 1991
    I've got a Husqvarna te 510 09, and have lately been having some problems with my lights. The 20A fuse for the light keept blowing up every 20 min. So I asked the local Husqvarna work shop if I could upgrade to a 25A or 30A fuse. He said it didnt really matter if I used a bigger fuse, because they would blow if there was a shorage. So i bought a 30A fuse and used that instead.

When I first started the bike in neutral, it ran as it should. But when i put it in first gear and was about to take of, the whole bike died. Nothing worked at all. The fuses are intact so that is'nt the problem. I've checed that there are no loose cables what so ever.

Anyone out there that might know what's wrong? Could it be a blown coil?
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome! :cheers:

I'll move this over to 4st where you should get more responses.
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    You're gonna need to download a service manual with a complete wiring diagram and get familiar with the 20A circuit. You may have introduced more amperage than what the wiring could handle. You should re-install the correct fuse and replace ALL the fuses with fuses from an auto shop.
  4. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    There is a short in the wires or a connector. Check all wires for damage and take all connectors apart, inspect for loose or damaged connections. Apply a good anti-corrosion compound to all wire connectors.
  5. nidingr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE510 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 1991
    Thank you guys for answers, I'll check out the wiring once I'm done with my work for the day.
    But it couldn't have damaged some of the other components? Or could it be a main fuse in the system?
  6. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    Yes, you can burn out wires and components by installing the wrong size fuse.
  7. nidingr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE510 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 1991
    turns out one of the wires was bruned, and the Main fuse was blown.. but got the bike up and running again. got any suggestions on how i can make the 20A fuse for the light work longer than 20 minutes? maybe put in a resistance?
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    If the fuse is blowing, there is a short somewhere, there is a bare wire touching metal somewhere.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Coffee likes this.
  9. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Here's another thread on your same issue:

Bike has 200 miles on it, and obviously has a pretty bad short. Before I tear into it and isolate components and check the harness etc. are there any known issues I should be aware of that may save me some time?
    While trying a trail side repair I only had a 30 amp fuse (stock is 20 amp) and it immediately blew the main fuse and killed the whole bike. So I left the 20 amp lighting fuse (lower fuse on right side) out and after replacing the main fuse it runs great but no lights or speedo.
    With such few miles it's hard to believe the wiring harness could have worn through somewhere but I did notice it is very tightly installed on the frame. Seems like it could have been a few inches longer in some places.
    Any thoughts?

Been gone from this site for a bit but it was the bulb. After a close look the filament post melted and bent over completing the ground all the time. I ordered an LED build as replacement so I won't be stuck riding home in the dark.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/08-te-510-blowing-fuse-for-lights-speedo.29401/
  10. nidingr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE510 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 1991
    migh be the lighbulb then, because my bike only got 6 hours on it, so it would be weird that the wireing should be the problem.
  11. If you're lucky it's just the bulb, my stock Husky bulb shorted out as well, who would have thought a headlight bulb would do that.
  12. tikitweaker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '81 430XC '77 250WR '77 360WR basket
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Honda CB550K, 2003 CR80R
    I just experienced a similar issue with my dc fuse blowing. I searched and found this thread so I went out to look for the obvious chaffing and traced wires of aftermarket stuff that I put on. No luck there so I disconnected the tail, signals, headlight & horn. I put a new fuse in and started it. Then I plugged each back in and sure enough the headlight was the culprit. What's confusing is that I tested both bulbs and they work fine when hooked directly to the battery. The wires don't appear to have any worn spots. What gives?
  13. nidingr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE510 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 1991
    I belive my problem is the headlight, so I'm waiting for a xenon kit for my bike. Dont wanna get stuck riding in the dark... I can ride the bike for about 10 min before the fuse blows. The light bulb will light up, every time I start it with a new fuse, but it'll only last a while... Might wanna give the BA20D halogen light bulb a try, about 7$ so it's a cheap fix if it's the lightbulb.

Here's the xenon convertion kit I'm ordering.
    http://www.hdbright.com/ba20d-hid-h...na-single-5000k-p-476.html?manufacturers_id=2
    tikitweaker likes this.
  14. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Did you ever unplug the headlight from the harness and try riding like that?
  15. nidingr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE510 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 1991
    Mine works fine without the lightbulb
  16. shanehonda123 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 xr 650
    the wiring on the left side of bike it rubbing against the frame just in front of the battery had the same fault found it on the side if the road pulled the wiring harness forward and rode home cut and rejoin wires taped then protect them with a hard plastic covering
  17. jed8five Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te510
    I know this is a real old thread but as these bikes get older its harder to find info so heres my experience which happened to me about 12 months ago and since ive fixed it hasnt been an issue .
    I also had intermittent shorts on the what started on the accesories cuircut and eventuated to the main fuse, at random times of riding which made it very difficult to pinpiont the cause , after reading lots of forums on it and stripping the bike down to frame, pulling apart the wiring loom and re insulating it I was at end wits. So i got out a test light and went through every plug, it turned out to be an internal short in my horn not when pressed but with vibration it would randomly short , unplugging horn and riding for 12 months has confirmed this .
    Dirtdame likes this.
  18. hards Husqvarna
    AA Class

Old thread but the headlight bulb design is such that the low ( or high I cant remember ) beam shield folds over and contacts the other side creates a dead short inside the bulb, blows the fuse.
  19. Dustdevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE450
    On my 2010 TE450, I traced everything and eventually found it was my horn. The wiring diagram was the only way I was able to narrow it down. Unplugged for a while, until I could arrange for another. Not sure if 09 has fuel injection, but wiring won’t be that different. Mine was blowing the 20 amp fuse that powers most significant circuits. Once blown, ignition and fuel injection draw on the battery without help from the magneto/generator. It only runs until the battery runs low. Sounds like your short is in the headlight bulb. I can offer strong advice to never increase amperage on any fuse over the factory values. The fuses protect virtually all the wiring from melting insulation. By far, the hardest problems to solve are those with wires melted and multiple shorts.
    Motorcycle Ron likes this.