1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

husqvarna "OR" & "XC" transmission. ????

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    When was the last year that husqvarna offered the "OR" transmission? This off road transmission had gears 1 thru 3 that we're wide ratio and 4 thru 6 were close ratio. This transmission allowed awesome bottom end power through third gear and kept the rpm's up in the meat of the power band in gears 4 thru 6. You never had that rpm drop if you weren't going fast enough like we get with a wide ratio transmission when in 4 to 6 gear when up shifting. It had the best of both worlds the wide ratio for the bottom pulling and the close ratio that kept the rpms up at the higher speeds. This was very noticeable on the 250's over the 390 which has more power.

Now what's the difference between a "WR" & "XC" model in 1984?
    The only difference I can see that I read about is the XC model had the larger motoplat flywheel? Is there anything else that's different?

Thanks ahead of time. I have a book about husqvarna dirtbikes that covers this but I haven't seen it in 20 years. Thanks again, bigbill
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I think '80 was the last OR.... I know from '82 on, XC was WR tranny with CR suspension travel.
  3. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    The WR has less suspension travel than the XC. WR has lights and brake light and uses the SEM ignition. The fuel tank is probably larger on the WR - not sure. The swing arm is half inch shorter if I recall correctly on the WR. WR runs a chain guard. WR has the speedo drive and speedo set up. WR has a frame rail under the motor for protection when climbing over logs etc. Best thing is to check Halls Husqvarna website and download the parts book PDF and you can find all the differences yourself via parts numbers and the diagrams.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Has anyone built a "off road" transmission using a wide ratio transmission gears with interfacing the 4th, 5th & 6th speed close ratio gears. I wonder if it can be done.

With a 250 we don't get that bog by the rpms not being in the power band like we get with the higher speed wr gears. I was very impressed with my or trans in my older late 70's husky.
    The orginal husqvarna engineers and designers were really sharp maybe a head of there time.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    too my understanding the OR had WR 1-2-3 gears CR 4-5 gears and its own warp drive 6th gear the frame had the bash bar under the motor and the rear fender loop a motoplat with lighting capabilities [but no lights] and its own odd weight flywheel lighter than the WR buy heavier than the internal rotor CR i guess i should know:excuseme: as i had a 79 250 WR [LECTRON] Super and a 80 250 OR [ ASCH PIPE] NASTY HARD HIT IN THE MIDDLE NOT SO SUPER SNAPPED THE FENDER LOOP OFF TWICE and yes 1980 was the last year
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    The later 80's XC , didn't have the same transmission ratio as the WR or CR, 1st was geared very high making it not very good for fast starts. I had a 83 250XC & it had a tall 1st . I compared the 80, 81 & 84 brochures & it looks like Husky combined the gears as before with the OR's.

1980 250 OR had a 29/70 ratio , 81 XC was a 30/68 , 84 XC was 32.77, they also played with the sprocket sizes too.

The OR or X/C were better for more open throttle riding, 1st gear was too tall for MX & also so/so for woods riding as u either screamed 1st or bogged 2nd on a 250. I never noticed much difference on the later 430 's , I have a 82 CR & had both a 83 430WR & XC.

The Guys are correct that the XC & CR shared the longer suspension components as compared to the WR's

Husky John
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I liked the "OR" tranny. On the bigger bores they just power through anything. The cr 390 was a exercise bike. I lost 60# in three months on it. A dirt bike works every muscle group.

A good rider here on any older husky bike is hard to keep up with. I weened my son on huskys. He rode my '80 cr 250 and my signal in front of the buddys riding the newer kxs was "you take it easy with that old bike" another words hammer these guys.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I guess I can only speak to 1982 models... 125XC and 125CR have identical trannies, 250XC and 250WR are the same and 430XC and 430WR have same. This is from specs, in 1982 Husqvarna Racing Handbook.