1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Husqvarna Nuda 900 Immo EWS Issue

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Kr33per, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Kr33per Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900
    Hi everybody,
    After an attempt to start my bike in cold weather and low battery, bike is stuck with the message EWS on the dashboard.
    I pass the first details of the diag but relays, fuses, antenna ring OK and bought a new battery.
    I have a K+DCAN OBD USB cable and Rheingold ISTA/D, ISTA/P and other standard bmw tools.
    With ISTA/D I was able to recover the error codes that were:
    009324 KOMBI: Undertension ==> Corresponds to the low voltage of the battery at the time of the worries.

I was able to erase the error codes and none returned. I first thought (not excluded yet) that the DME had taken a blow of juice apparently possible when we insist on the starter. But I can enter functional test of the DME in Ista is ok.

Wanting to see the info of the keys I launched ISTA/P and after scan I get the message. "Problem with EWS. (KOMBI) is not configured correctly (No key has been learned) It is therefore not possible to guarantee correct processing with ISTA/P. Contact BMW Motorrad for further information)

I read on other threat that keys data are stored in Dash: 25L160. I will dump the eeprom to see if it seems ok.

Is there any other software I can use to find info about EWS and keys? In ista/d there is nothing related to EWS, is it normal. If there is indeed an issue in the dash, What is the procedure to replace it?

PS: Another rider has a similar problem with the same motorcycle and took him to the Husqy / KTM concess. Their answer: We will change the DME but we are not sure, it will cost 1200 € and 10 weeks of waiting. In Rennes were i live BMW says "Not our Problem".
    KTM says: "We cant help you"
    Husky says: "We can't help you"

Sorry for long story and thank you for your help [IMG]
  2. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    It's ridiculous that KTM says that they can't help. They are obligated to, but there are so few Nudas and TR650s out there that there isn't much motivation for them to do so.
  3. Kr33per Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900
  4. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Why don't you go to an BMW motorrad dealer? They use the same lock, keys and antenna on their bikes. Maybe they can solve your problem.
  5. Kr33per Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900
    Unfortunately like I said in the first post, BMW dealer at least in my region don't want to work on it.
    Answer was. "Husqvarna is not BMW anymore, We can't do anything for you"
    In other words they don't care.
  6. Kr33per Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900
    1981/5000
    Problem solved :DAs I thought for a while, eeprom 25L160 in the Dash was corrupted.Explanation:- Keys of the bike contains an RFID chip.- the EWS anti-start is managed by an MC9S12X chip which is in the dash. It contains a 128-bit private key. The same private key is also in the ecu (It allows an association between ECU and dash that prevents a simple change of dash to steal the bike. (Or to make it necessary to go to a dealer...)- Keys informations, mileage, VIN and more are stored in the eeprom 25L160 in the dash.
    When the ignition is switched on, the EWS MC9S12X chip reads the key information via the transponder antenna around.If the key is known in the "eeprom" it sends an encrypted "OK" signal to the ECU using its 128-bit private key. (The ECU using the same key to decrypt)
    Each time the bike starts, informations are written in eeprom and it is there that there is a danger. Even if it takes a few milliseconds to write the eeprom if the battery voltage drops or increases or if the ignition is turned off during rewriting there is a risk of corruption. This is how the first 3 lines of my eeprom were replaced with 00.By analyzing the dump of 2 other nuda found on a forum. I saw that lines 2 and 3 were common to the 2 motorcycles so generic. And line 1 was identical to a other line in the dump.I therefore rewrote the eeprom with those values and it worked :D
    To better understand here are the links to the 4 eeprom dump. You can read them here https://www.onlinehexeditor.com/Dl.free.fr/csHQSW4MiTo read the eeprom I used an 11€ programmer on ebay china (EZP2010)To open the dash and take out eeprom you have to desolder (use a desoldering braid) you have to be very careful when removing the screen (a screw is behind)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Mik-3, Kushy and aha2070 like this.
  7. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Ohhhh shit!
  8. r3ktorr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900R
    Thank you for the excellent guide, Kr33per! I had the same problem, and your fix worked for me!
  9. Kushy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF450, XR650R, RS250,ZX7RR
    Hi all. Does anyone still have a copy of the good *.bin file Kr33per kindly posted up way back when?
    The link to it is dead now and I've got the same problem I think.
    Tried to start on a low battery and it crapped out in the process and have the EWS fault code now after the dash boots up.

I'm really really hoping someone still has it.

Many thanks. Jerry - Adelaide Australia
  10. Kushy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi. Would anyone still have these?
    I've done the exact same thing and the link to the good one is dead now.
    Help anyone?

Jerry

11. nikwest Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900
    Hi Jerry,

I am currently having similar issues with EWS shown in my display. However I have read out the data from my machine and send it to somebody from the German husky forum. He checked the data and said that it looks ok. So my issue seems to be the antenna. I measured 20 Ohm between the right side contacts of the plug which plugs into the display. I think it should be 0 Ohm. If anybody has some ideas, please let me know.

So if you are interested I can send you my EEPROM dump, but no guarantee that it is working.

Greetings

nikwest

12. r3ktorr Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900R

Ive uploaded a ZIP here. It contains 6 files. 2 sets of NOT working files + their fixed version. Also 2x other working examples. Im not that active here, but if you have any questions feel free to send me an email at r3ktorr@gmail.com and I will try to reply as quickly as I can.

Attached Files:

13. Kushy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    r3ktorr! You are a champion! Thank you so, so much! Will thank you in gmail also! Jerry
  14. coolluk_007 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Many thanks to @r3ktorr for help with that stupid issue with Husqvarna TR650 strada !
    In my case the same problem with discharge battery by heated grips and after recharge EWS problem
    What was checked :

1. Antenna - 20 Ohm is OK - compare with other TR650
    2. Connection to dashboard OK
    3. Connection to BMS (ECU) OK so cabling looks OK
    4. Check electronics inside BMS - looks OK - not easy to open

Nothing helps to decisions with eprom check - the same problem with 3 first bytes in this memory
    With r3ktorr we compare this file from Nuda and my husky and we try restore correct information
    It was helped ! So if somebody have problem with TR650 I can help with that issue and I have correct bin file for that :)

One more time many thanks because nobody can help me KTM/BMW service :(
  15. coolluk_007 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Of course additional grounding of ECS was made without successful :(