Husky Strada seized motor. Should I part it out?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by AdrRak, Jul 12, 2022.

1. AdrRak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
    Unfortunately my TR650 engine seized recently. I think that when I rebuilt the engine to fix the transmission, I put some stress on the crankshaft bearings during the work, and they eventually failed. I cannot turn the motor over with the hex key in any gear. The bike ran flawlessly for over a year after the rebuild.

My friends are telling me to split the cases and rebuild again and sell the bike, but I want to know if there is any demand for just parting the bike out, or selling it with a dead motor as a rolling chassis project bike? Everything else on the bike was great, a small leak in one of the fork seals was the only issue, it had about 23,000 miles, I was the only owner.

Some friends are telling me to not part it out, because I will be left over with buckets of unsold parts in my garage. But since our TR650s are such rare steeds, what do you guys think? I am okay with taking a financial loss on my end, but I want to dampen the blow by getting some money back, just don't know what route to take.

PS Why not rebuild the engine you say? Because I know how much work and disassembly it takes to get to the crankshaft, just to find out that I can't even find a replacement bearing anymore... I looked, they dont really exist anymore for our bike. And to rebuild, and list the bike... ooof. I have another streetbike that is my primary ride, i was planning on getting rid of the Husky anyway...
    WoodsChick likes this.
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    That's a good question. A few years ago I bought a rolling chassis for a pretty good price. Everything was in good running condition when the original owner decided some Do-It-Yourself electrical work was a good idea, even though they didn't know anything about electrical work. It was complete and put together when I got it except for a big pile of spaghetti/wiring. I feel lucky to have it, as we have 2 other fine-running Terras that we both really enjoy riding. I'm certain you could sell it as a complete roller to a grateful Terra lover somewhere. I will do my best to resist purchasing it! :) Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.
    AdrRak likes this.
  3. bikewanker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr,fz,gs,vfr, & &
    In for ignition/key set when you part it. Better add handlebars and might consider a dash. I guess you know my vote.
  4. Lawrence Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    DRZ400SM>Stolen/TR650 Strata>EWS :(
    hey man, I have a bike with a EWS light on that wont start(~12k miles). I'm located in San Pedro. One of us could make a working bike lol

what would you sell it for vs what would you pay for a rolling bike (minus ecu/dash, 12k on the motor)?
  5. AdrRak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
    Thanks for the replies. My bio info is old, I now live inland SoCal near Temecula, and the brutal heat has made it in the high 90s in my garage all summer, no way to work on the bike. Now that it has cooled off I will pull the motor and remove the top end and take a look inside. I will post updates on what I find.

(Lawrence, PM sent!)
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  6. AdrRak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
    I have decided to sell the bike as is, with a seized motor.

The reason for my long absence is that during my attempt of the engine rebuild last year, my baby daughter was born. There is barely enough time in my life now to work and sleep (ha, sleep!) so there is no way that I am going to tear down and rebuild my seized engine and get this TR running again. I just bought a used KTM 1190 Adventure that is more bike than what i need.

I dont have the time to part the bike out, so I want to sell it as-is. It currently has all of the plastics removed and fluids flushed. Perfect parts bike for someone else.

Please DM me if you are interested, I am located near Temecula, in Riverside County in Southern California. Thanks for looking!
    durtkillon likes this.