Husky Baja Gathering, Labor Day: Info

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Welcome all Husky Riders:

George Earl of Uptite Husqvarna and myself are organizing a Husky gathering down in Baja the last weekend of August, Labor Day weekend--Friday thru Sunday. We will be doing about 270 miles of riding over 2 1/2 days. Chase truck will be provided, bi-lingual guides and baja savy sweep riders with tools and spares. Two groups, one for faster riders and the other for slower riders. Its just a fun ride, not a race, and more than a couple guys are very new to off roading. We will ride some single track, some open ranch roads, and even an easy section of the Baja 1000 course.

Lots of time to sip a cold one and socialize with your fellow Husky riders at the end of each day.

Yes, it will be hot. No there arent any banditos where we are going.
    Costs will be about $100-150 per day--you pay your own way for hotels, fuel, food and beer.

Feel free to call George or PM me or check out the thread on TT for more info.

Here is a video clip from lairpost, of a similar Baja trip organized on TT a couple years ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=761637031972970216
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Mikes link does not work for me either, but your link does. Only mike can say if they are the same.

It may be some niggly issue with vBulletin configuration or Mike may have made a mistake.... but nothing is being done on my part to be causing problems, at least not on purpose.
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

They are the same. I copied and pasted from Brett who sent me the link.
    Weird.

But cool video. :)
  4. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tried moving it away from the : and it still wont work.

Possible VBulletin/tech issue?
  5. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mike, did you use the link button or BB codes? If not, it may be that vBulletin code did something with it. Your link has the url truncated with an ellipses in it:
    Code:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37031972970216
    And the other doesn't:
    Code:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=761637031972970216
    If you just type a long url in here, vB parses the url and replaces some of the characters with '...' and wraps it in [ u r l ] [/ u r l ].

Man I wish baja was closer...looks like a great time!
  6. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

Mike
    Sounds cool..err hot..I mean great. I would jump on it but we will be just back from Bonneville and in need of some rest. Still trying to make a Northern Husky ride happen up here later in the season as well.
  7. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Gandolf. You where right.

Michael, looking forward to that NorCal ride. Count me in. Might even be a local by then.

Boonville is cool. Philo isnt bad either....but Geyserville rules....well ok Mercuryville and Washington, California rule, well....Stewarts Point isnt bad either. Cant wait to move back to NorCal. :)
  8. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

Oh dear..are you an old Skaggs rider?:rolleyes:
    Looking forward to it!
  9. 75Hus400wr Husqvarna

Just did a Husky ride a weekend ago, Tecate to San Felipe and back, Sat/Sun. Good times in Baja for Huskys this summer. Chase guy used from Chula Vista, part of a now defunct, HVA race team in Baja in 06/07.
  10. 75Hus400wr Husqvarna

I dont know about him, but I still have one more set of spare race wheels for sale if one of you SMR guys wants to do this ride and doesn't have dirt wheels.
  11. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Baja Gathering 'itinerary'

Day 1 -- Going to Baja.

Friday August 29th 11AM--all leave Uptite Husqvarna in Santa Ana, CA.

Friday August 29th 3PM--all leave gas station on the US side of the border at Tecate.

Friday August 29th 4pm--arrive Hacienda Santa Veronica

The resort is located 20 miles east of Tecate, Mexico. Hacienda Santa Veronica Resort is hidden among oak trees in a quiet valley near the town of El Hongo. The former bull ranch offers excellent access to hundreds of miles off-road roads and trails.

GPS Coordinates for Hacienda Santa Veronica: 32°27'31.37"N, 116°21'40.91"W (Google Maps for Hacienda Santa Veronica)
    ----------------------

Day Two: Saturday Aug 30th -- Hacienda Santa Veronica to Mike's Sky Ranch

-6 am, breakfast at the Rancho.
    -6:30 am, load bags, stuff, in chase truck in front of restaurant. Big Black 4x4 F350.
    -7 am all riders leave Rancho, heading out in two groups, newer and intermediate.

-about 8 am (after a little bit of very easy/fun single track) Turnoff to Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857
    Junction heading to Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857: 32°20'17.74"N, 116°14'18.38"W (left turn)

-about 9am groups will take different routes here:
    Turnoff heading to Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857
    Turnoff heading to Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857: 32°14'51.28"N, 115°58'48.30"W (left turn)

- about 9:45 faster group will go here:
    Turnoff heading to Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857: 32°14'43.69"N, 115°57'13.98"W (right turn)
    Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857

------

Parque Nacional Constitucion--the first part of our ride will pass thru this gorgious area, full of pine trees and sagebrush and big open ranches that look like something out of the old west. Great area.

After leaving Hacienda Santa Veronica on Saturday morning, we will hit lots of great trails, then climbe up into the pine forest and cross into Constitution National Park. Constitution National Park is in the Sierra de Juárez mountain range, approximately 45 miles east of Ensenada.

Laguna Hanson is one of interior Baja California’s few semi-permanent bodies of water.

Laguna Hanson in the Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857

By 11 am groups will both be here:
    GPS Coordinates for Laguna Hanson: 32° 2'53.89"N, 115°54'39.25"W (Google Maps for Laguna Hanson)

By 12-12:30 we rest here and get gatorade, a beer, well water and fuel
    Rancho Ramona near Laguna Hanson
    GPS Coordinates for Rancho Ramona (gas stop): 32° 0'16.21"N, 115°56'52.60"W (Google Maps for Rancho Ramona)

--------

"Ejido Heroes de la Independencia"-- the next area we will pass thru.

Fingers crossed by 2 pm we will hit some paved road here:
    GPS Coordinates for Independencia and Highway 3: 31°36'42.72"N, 115°53'23.19"W (Google Maps for Independencia)

We have various routes we can take thru this area, depending on temps, time, how guys are feeling.
    Valle de la Trinidad

After a bit of a run on Highway 3, everyone fuels up at the Pemex in Valle de la Trinidad. After fuel we stop at the restaurant next door for some tacos before heading out to Mike's Sky Ranch.

GPS Coordinates for Valle de la Trinidad: 31°24'29.66"N, 115°44'3.60"W (Google Maps for Valle de la Trinidad)

---------

Mike's Sky Ranch

This secluded backcountry lodge in the middle of nowhere is a haven for off-roaders. Mike's Sky Ranch rests on a hillside overlooking the Arroyo San Rafael, which is a somewhat wooded river valley with steep, brush-covered mountains. The ranch offers motel-type accommodations for about $60 which includes family-style dinner and breakfast. The nearest town is Valle de Trinidad. There is a very famous bar, a pool, and the rushing stream nearby has little trout. Its a very famous place, to say the least.
    Sections of the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 courses pass through Rancho Mike's Sky.

4-5pm---GPS Coordinates Highway 3 and the turnoff to Mike's Sky Ranch:
    31°20'11.59"N, 115°34'27.97"W

6-7pm---GPS Coordinates for Mike's Sky Ranch: 31° 6'33.58"N, 115°38'7.75"W (Google Maps for Mike's Sky Ranch)
    7:30pm dinner is served.
    8:00-10pm beers
    10:00pm lights out!

----------

Day 3 Mikes To Rancho Santa Veronica

All i can really say is we will decide on the route back Saturday night and Sunday morning. There are many possible routes to take. We can split up and take two routes. Depends on the weather, how guys are feeling etc.

6am--breakfast
    6:45am--gear bags into chase truck.
    7am--ride starts.
    3pm--ride ends Santa Veronica.

------------

Day 4

Opional day of local single track riding around Rancho Santa Veronica. I will take ya to 'the edge' and back. Advanced riders. Trust me, most guys will be too tired to ride this day.

-----------

Other notes:
    Family is welcome to meet us with their trucks at Rancho Santa Veronica and then up at Mikes. They can follow the chase truck.
    Radios are not mandatory but if you bring one, just make sure it has SCORE channel programmed.
    This is gonna be a fun ride, not a race. Just like minded guys who love Huskys riding baja on some really fun trails.

SO for those of you with GPS this is the route. We will have options to mix it up coming back, it will depend on how everyone is feeling, and if the weather is permitting up to ride thru the hotter areas or not.
    Most of this ride is about 3000 feet and much is near 4000 sio while it will be warm, its usually not to bad.
  12. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    I will be there if all goes well.

Gary
  13. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class