1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Husky Auto

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hoppy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. hoppy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR250 1982
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husky 701 & TE250 17
    Hello am looking at getting a 390 auto.
    Just wondering if there are lots of issues with them?
    Whats parts like to get?
    Looking for some info / articles on them.

Cheers Rob
  2. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Do you have lots of money . If so then parts are easy enough to get
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Main problem on a 390 is engaging drive, the gear and shaft wear quickly. however once you ride one you might think the coming expenses are worth it!!
    hoppy likes this.
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Yes, they are a bit more expensive to run than a 6 speeder. But Steve is right, the extra expense is worth it. If you get one, strip the box and check it (it's so easy). Make sure the sprags are not falling to pieces and the surfaces they run on are smooth. It's worth replacing the mainshaft and dog gear on the end as they will chew up easy. There is loads of info on here regarding what else to check.
    The oil is critical. Change it after every good ride (there is only one litre). Every other good ride pull the side cover and re-do the grooves in the clutch shoes.
    Since i have built mine, I have no issues at all (touches wood !). It is one of my favorite rides. I have a similar 390WR as a six speed. It doesn't get ridden much now ;)
    dumpbear and hoppy like this.
  5. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Most of the problems and "bad" reputation you hear about on the autos is due to riders not educating themselves on the correct way to maintain them and ride them. Lot of the problems are self inflicted by the rider. I have been riding the 360, 390 and 420 autos for over 15 years and the only problems I have had is 3 broken 1st gear clutch springs on three different occasions and two of those were from a bad batch of springs that were not heat treated correctly. They are by far more fun to ride than any of my other manual shift Huskys. When I go riding and need to decide which bike to ride one of the autos is my first choice especially when it is wet and snotty riding in the spring.

If you do purchase an automatic and do not know the history on it I would advise you to take the motor and trans apart to inspect it and replace items that are worn. After that, if you don't already, you will have a better understanding of how the transmission works and will last a long time.

If you need help and info this is the place to get it, lots of knowledge here on this site and auto riders.

Marty
    dumpbear and hoppy like this.
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Put a 1st spring clutch cover to avoid damage when springs break and epoxy glue some magnets to retain steel dust !

Spring cover military 1.jpg HPIM1776 - Copie.JPG
    hoppy and ajcmbrown like this.
  7. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    The nut on the primary clutch is it really torqued to 110nm it seem's allful high i dont want to snap the end off. I did that once on the mag side on a 360wr because the book said 70nm.:banghead:
  8. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Mine is 90Nm. Never had a problem. Just make sure you hold the primary clutch correctly. I put some pictures of my home made holder on the rebuild thread I did a while back.
  9. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    On my 420's I torque the clutch hub nut to 120nm/ 85ft,lb. The reason that I do is because on the 420's the thread and nut is the same size as the 430 auto's and Husky increased the torque spec on the 430's. I have never had a 420 clutch hub work loose. And never stripped the threads. The 360/390 auto's have a smaller diameter thread size and use the 90mn/ 65ft,lb.This is also what the 420 assembly manual also called for but was just a spec carried over from the 360/390. Go with 120nm/85ft,lbs and you will not have any problems.

Marty
  10. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Thanks Marty will do.
  11. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Also after you get the motor running again. ride it for about 10-15 minutes to get everything good and warmed up. Then let the motor cool down to "room temperature" and pull the clutch cover and re-torque the nut one more time and you are good to go.

Marty
  12. hoppy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR250 1982
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husky 701 & TE250 17
    I finally got to look at the bike running and to me it seemed to rattle a lot.
    Is it normal for the gearbox to be like that?
    I rode it the shifts were smooth and seemed ok.
  13. 250 auto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 auto wr 250 wr 390auto 420 auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta 350rr rockon mx2 rokon rt340
    They are noisy,make sure you have the idle as low as it can be before engaging, I set mine so it almost stalling then turn it back up once its in gear
  14. toomanykaws Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr125. 05 TC250. 18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 Enduro 990 adv, 17 kaws
    Going to look at an Auto tomorrow. Guy doesn't know what year. Thinks maybe 82-3. Says $200. He got a bunch bikes all at once from a sale. Six early 70s CZ's and boxes spare engines. Those are already sold. This could be interesting
    motomwo and oldbikedude like this.
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    nice work!! post up what else he has lying around husky wise
  16. toomanykaws Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr125. 05 TC250. 18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 Enduro 990 adv, 17 kaws
    CZ stuff is rough. Really are six engines. The two chassis are 72-3. Lot spare engine parts in boxes. To the restorer bet lot of those parts are useful. Guess the buyers for all of that didn't take it. Couldn't agree on price. The Husky auto is twin shock air cooled. Beyond junk. The lower engine cases looked good though and complete. No plastics at all tank was aftermarket and all broken. Must be 80-81 era. Think I seen better bikes at the scrapyard. Was worth looking I guess. Like to find a 86 liquid auto that's complete and runs !
  17. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    A little weird to ride at first, when it free wheels, but your love it. But like others said, ride it 1st, i bought a suppose riding bike,
    that was hard to start, and it turned into a mess.