husky 125 sms/ cr 125 engine swap

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by bashy22, Oct 17, 2015.

1. bashy22 Husqvarna
    A Class

hi just wanted to ask if its worth me doing this i can get a cr 125 engine fully rebuilt at a good price, would it be worth me swapping it out for my sms engine, will have to use sms stator and carb tho. will i see goo gains ? i think mine is running around 25bhp mark will i see 30-40 with cr engine ?
  2. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    About a month ago, I was in a supermoto track and I tried a 2006 125 sms of a friend of mine (he had just switched to a 450 Yamaha). He claimed 24 hp. I tried it for some laps and it was really slow, compared to my EFI 610. I never tried a Husky CR, but I noticed that racing 125s like TMs or Honda CRs or KTMs accelerate almost as much as my bike. Therefore, considering that a 125 Husky CR should be as powerful as those bikes, I think that 25 bhp vs 30-40 is a realistic estimate. Maybe not 40, but definitely more than 30.
  3. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510 - SMS 125 - TE 250 - TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    You will see more power for sure, but these race engines are not designed for street use. They are mainly top end figured, won't run long distances, and need more frequent maintenance. Now it is your money, and your choice
  4. bashy22 Husqvarna
    A Class

cheers guys yeah the engine is pretty much brand new all seals, bearings, piston, honed barrel the lot. and i just want it for weekend fun be lucky if i do 100 miles a week on it, allso good for spares aswell coming with v force reeds and tmx carb allso, currently running the 28 dellorto with tps sensor.
  5. bashy22 Husqvarna
    A Class

just looking into advancing the timing on my stator, as i think they come very retarded, and the cr stator is diffrent connections, so going to drill my stator and see if i can move it to advance it.
  6. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    get the CR engine but swap the gears from your SMS engine it makes a more pleasant ride and you will have still a lot of power available

its probably more ride able on the tarmac then the CR tranny
    a CR stock should make about a 35 Hp

Robert-Jan
  7. Kierstacey94 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sms 125 2012
    Anyone got a sms stator for sale 125 2012?