1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How to tell if the PCV is working?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by coleman1495, Aug 8, 2014.

1. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Okay so I just finished installing a PCV onto my TE449. I loaded the Zip-Ty racing Factory Map onto it and went for a test ride.

Honestly I cannot tell if it made a bit of difference. It feels pretty much the same. I am assuming I would surely notice some power gain? The throttle does not seem crisp or improved in any way.

So the question is how can I tell If the PCV is working? What is something I may have missed.
    I am 99% sure I got all of the connections right. If I missed a connection somewhere wouldn't the bike not run right.
  2. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I don't have a PCV (But have the program loaded into my laptop), so I'm not much of an authority.
    When you are connected to the PCV to upload etc you should be able to see 'live data' of the TPS signal, RPM, coolant temp etc.
    If these aren't changing while it is running, I'd say you have a problem....
    Normann likes this.
  3. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    If you loaded map, got map,sucessfully loaded message, your seeing rpm, throttle position you should be fine,
    If you are still running a stock exhaust, it will not make a huge difference.
    You WILL NOT see coolant temp without doing more than basic install,
    Ignition plug, fuel plug, throttle position plug, if you missed on bike will not start or will run badly.
    Look at your screen and you will see the zip ty map is mild down low (stock) with most tuning at higher
    Rpm. With the FMF and the zip ty map I noticed a nice gain and little or no popping on decel.
    Go over you connections, if you have concerns, call power commander, they are the experts and usually
    Very helpful, and remember this is the internet.
  4. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    And there is that light at that boc in pcv, if those are not on. That pcv not working.....Like others say, also connect that pcv at computer/latop, you can see that throttle tps, revs.
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    :thumbsup:
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Connect to your computer. Choose "Get Map" and verify that you have the Zipty map loaded vs the oem. There are also green and red status lights on the unit. Which modifications have you made to your 449?
  7. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Okay so the map loaded is definitely the Zip-Ty Factory map. This map should be basically Race Map 3 correct? The green light comes on and stays on while the bike is running.

The only modifications I have made to the bike is removing the catalytic converter from the factory muffler and removed the smog canister.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Your good to go then and won't have the flame out issues. As far as power, the big can exhaust is your limiting factor, not your pcv.
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Racemap 3 is another set of maps that can be uploaded to the original ECU.

They still have one map for o2 running on the road & one map with the jumper plug installed to display 'Map II' on the dash.(Like original but updated) A dealer or someone with the HST program will have to do this.
    You can tune with the PCV from there.
    Raywoo likes this.
  10. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Alright so after further road testing I have decided that the PCV is in fact functioning (or doing something anyways). It seems more powerful in lower gears but actually feels like it lost top end power. I remember Tinken had stated once that race map 3 makes a significant difference in top speed. I can assure you that my top speed has not changed. Should I notice a difference in top speed with the PCV?

You say aftermarket exhaust will make a significant difference? Sorry if I seem a little skeptical about it. Removing the catalytic converter made a noticeable difference but I am not sure how adding aftermarket will help. Has anybody tried doing a dyno comparison with lets say an FMF and a decatted factory muffler?
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    For the TE511, it's between 11 and 15hp with a slip on and pcv, possibly more with air box modification.

[IMG]
  12. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Fmf plus PCV is a different motorcycle, like he said 10
    plus HP.
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Tinken, do you have a sheet available for the standard Akro slip-on?
  14. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Wow, yeah that would be worth the money. In terms of modifying the airbox I have been a little leary though. I have considered getting a TC airbox but I am not sure if that is a good idea or not. I live in central alberta where I have to cross muskeg from time to time. Wouldn't having a different airbox allow water to get in more easily? If not why did BMW only have an open airbox on the TC?
  15. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Keep in mind that figure is 511 and stock....with cat still inside the muffler.
    (Correct Tinken?)
  16. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    If you got an aftermarket muffler such as the Powercore 4, you will notice a difference in power. Surprisingly for me, I didn't really start feeling
    a noticeable power increase until after I added the Auto Tune. Adding the PCV by itself will give you better power overall and make it run right
    but it's not like the JD Tuner where you can instantly feel the power increase. The PCV, however, is way more tuneable with a lot more features
    and ways to tweak the power curve.
  17. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    So did you go from a factory muffler with a cat to an aftermarket muffler?
  18. JRW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Tiger 800 XC

I'm curious too. I've looked for stock TE449 numbers with jumper in and out and haven't really found an answer. Not claimed numbers, real numbers. :)
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  19. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    Yes, stock to FMF.
  20. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Okay makes sense. Removing the cat on the stock muffler makes a considerable difference. The question is how much of a difference is a fmf vs a decatted muffler?