1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

How to keep the Ice Cream Express white ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by subarumy98, Nov 26, 2017.

1. subarumy98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi all

I normally go with powder coating, but am battling to keep this baby lookiing good.
    How does a painted 2k finish hold up ?
    Clear coat ?

All suggestions welcome..

Trevor
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    If you want tough resistance to brush scratching and such, I am not familiar with 2K finishes but I mostly use PPG Deltron and Omni(epoxy paint). Deltron and Imron were the offroad finishes of choice prior to powdercoating. Omni will give an OEM quality on frames and Deltron is for metal and plastic fuel tanks and plastics as it doe not require a flex agent. There are are likely systems that may be more effective and less toxic as that is always a prime concern spraying these coatings.
  3. Rocky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    1986 Honda CR250 ,03 WR450 Yam
    As a rep for a automotive paint company I use liquid paint on all my bikes. I honestly feel paint holds its own to powder and outperforms it on several fronts (adhesion, resistance to chemicals, appearance).
    I would recommend having frame sandblasted then refinishing with either epoxy primer or a true etch (not aerosol) followed by a 2k sealer and then topcoated with either base clear or single stage paint. I highly recommend using a hardener in the basecoat if the manufacturer has a recommendation for it to help resist chipping.
    I've also done a frame in single stage polyurethane and its holding up extremely well also
    Motosportz and Krudd like this.
  4. subarumy98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the suggestions. Into the garage to start stripping !!
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    photos..take plenty of photos...for us and you;)
  6. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    Send photos please
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    I know your talking about the frame, but it also it helps to not leave gas in the tank, run it til it almost empty every time,
    helps keep it staying white. I know there all kinds of primer/sealers for inside/outside the gas tank, but I've found
    it stays cleaner & you take a much less chance of anything bubbling up & lifting the finish the less fuel in it.

Also found to clean the plastic, it seems using a light colored or white rags , with your favorite cleaner works best,
    not sure why?
    86 400 XC likes this.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I’m very frugal sometimes but I want the best paint job for my dollar. I been using rustolium gloss white on my husky milk truck bikes. It seems to hold up well. But like any paint job the preparation is the key to a quality finish. When it’s dirty some simple green and garden hose does bring it back again as when it was painted.

A buddy of mine works in a body shop. He told me they painted a corvette with Enron epoxy paint. After it was done the owner wanted it painted in another color. He told me the Enron was rock hard and impossible to sand.
  9. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas

Bigbill, were you perhaps referring to Dupont's Imron product line? That stuff is nearly bulletproof, but it is expensive and hard to apply. Probably not a very good choice for anyone but a professional body shop.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yes that’s the paint Imron. The body shop does custom work to the customers requests.