1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How to install fuel sock

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by ducatijohn, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ducatijohn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310, 72 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 BMW R90S, 99 Kaw ZRX1100, 78 Duc
    The garbage that's in pump gas can and will eventually clog up the tiny injectors in our small bore bikes. That's why most KTM riders either use a Golan fuel filter or a fuel sock. I looked at the Golan filter but didn't want to cut the high pressure fuel line for installation, plus space was an issue under the tank as everyone knows.
    I found this: www.split-stream.com
    I took a chance an ordered a fuel filter sock made for a 2013 KTM with screw in cap. It was a snug fit but it worked! I then removed the gasket from the Husky gas cap, made a couple of new gaskets, inserted them into the gas cap and now I have less worry about junk in the tank.
    The photos below shows the fuel sock, gas cap, gaskets and sock inserted in the tank. The web site states that injector nozzles are 50 to 60 microns in diameter. The fuel sock openings are 25 microns in diameter so now I can ride worry free. Don't forget to take out the fuel sock periodically and back flush the crud out.

20131130_085600.jpg
    20131130_085709.jpg
    20131130_085719.jpg
    Shawbridgehusky and dratharr like this.
  2. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    what did you make the gasket out of?

I did see Twin Air makes fuel socks also.
  3. ducatijohn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310, 72 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 BMW R90S, 99 Kaw ZRX1100, 78 Duc
    I tried a gasket out of inner tube material but it was too flimsy and thin. I had a piece of medium durometer vinyl and cut out 2 pieces. You can find rubber sheet at Home Depot which will also work. Good luck!
  4. Joe Piddington Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE350
    Hey have you heard of or found one that actually just fits without playing with it? Thanks
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You don't want to use a Golan filter anyway. The stainless steel element in their filters shatters around the edges and clogs the injectors. This cost us our Glen Helen 24hr race last year. We have a brand new fuel system in the works, should be out soon.
    Shawbridgehusky likes this.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Nice Bultaco, oh and good idea on the socky!
  7. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Ordered one of the profills. First line of defense, especially if filling from a can on a windy day in the woods.
  9. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Profill arrived in 9 days. Fits the tank/cap nicely as is. Press fit it is snug and cap screws on easily. Seems well made.... Happy to say it does not slow down filling as the docs say it could, though I pump slow to reduce splashing. To that end sort of works as an anti splash screen instead of hitting the front of the tank and coming right back at you.

WP_20141011_15_10_35_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20141011_15_13_45_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20141011_15_24_42_Raw__highres.jpg
  10. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    I ordered one too, but so far after 12 days it has not shown up yet. So with Monday being a Holiday the earliest it will be here would be 14 days. Sometimes our port of entries slow things down a bit.

Paw Paw
  11. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510 - SMS 125 - TE 250 - TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    Interesting. I will go with a profill, first off because I hate the splash of gasoline on the red pipe when filling her up , and second if it stops dirt and protects pump and injectors, these will be $30 well spent
  12. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I got one on my TE511. It is fantastic and 0 issues so far. Still looks pretty clean tho :\
  13. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Ok my Profile unit came in today. It is a very tight fit! What I had to do to get it in was pull the sock back through the plastic opening to the out side of the tank while installing it so the sock itself would not be
    pinched between the wire and the tank. Then I just pushed the sock back inside the tank. I think it's going to work fine.

Paw Paw
  14. manu Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510 - SMS 125 - TE 250 - TC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    T509 - VMX 1200
    Ordered one a few days ago . I am more concerned about the anti splash thing because 98 gasoline "seems" clean here in France (I would not be as affirmative with diesel )