1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

How to identify 84 250 cylinder ?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by GaryM, Mar 24, 2014.

1. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    How do you identify a 84 250 cylinder ? This is last of air cooled.

Does it have the intake main flow right into the transfer port behind the sleeve
    acting as a large additional flow. In other words big extra holes to the transfers.

I will try and post a pic later
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    It is definitely different from the 82 WR cylinder as the 84WR was known to have weaker low end but much stronger top end. The 2 82WR cylinders I have I mentioned they seemed cavernous as there was much port area as there was non port. I thought they were ported but others seemed to think that was stock
  3. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It should have a lot of big holes and a couple of small ones. Yes it should have the small extra ports leading out of the intake area. Mine were not matched very well with the Cylinder Liner. If You use the search feature here You can find the Factory Porting Specs along with Pipe Specs for the 84's. Yes I happen to have a 84 WR project bike. The Cylinder looks like its the last thing that should be on an enduro bike, looks like it would be CR only. Which is odd that they didn't just use up there supply of 83's on the enduro bikes, which was typical for the WR's, to use the previous years parts up.
  4. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Thanks guys. I have one on my bench and just got it today. I was so surprised - what amazing porting with that tunnel cut to that transfer.

I found one picture on the HVA site to compare. Andy has one for a very tidy sum. I still will take pic with my camera when get the battery charged
  5. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    84 WR's are fantastic motors. Just gear them correctly with 56 tooth rear so the engine stays in the power through the gears. Stock gearing was too tall according to Cycle World magazine and they were hard to keep on the pipe between gears.
  6. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    true 84 will have exhaust eyelet ports.If there not there it's a 83
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

83 CR and XC same cyinder( with the transfers). 82 83 WR no...then XC cylinder stayed for 84 WR got the XC CR jug in 84 and CR got new jug that was LC
  8. firecrackerkid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390 OR, 84 250WR, 83 175WR
    I love my 84 WR 250 motor. So EZ to ride.