How To Get A Key

Discussion in 'TR650' started by KCWolf, Sep 9, 2020.

1. KCWolf Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bonneville SE
    Hey Everyone,

I've been running with one key and decided a spare might be nice, so I started the long journey of searching for a resource to get one. It's been hard finding a resource to get a new one and I've seen others looking for information, so thought I'd share what I found.

To start, all of the dealers in my city were telling me to just go to a locksmith, but all the locksmiths in my town couldn't code the key. After calling around for a week or so I finally called Husqvarna directly and they told me the only sure way to get a key is to go through a dealership. To do so, you have to help set the dealer up with a special process to get these keys (note: They must already be a Husqvarna dealership; This is also assuming the dealership is oblivious to the process).

The Process:
    1) Call the dealership and let them know the key needs to come from Husky through the dealership.
    2) Get the Primary contact at the dealership (probably the parts person) and get their contact info.
    3)Call Husqvarna Customer support and leave the following information:
    • Let them Know you need a key for a TR650
    • Your Name & contact info
    • Vehicle's Vin #
    • Name of local dealership
    • Main contact at dealership & their contact info
    From there Husqvarna will reach out to the dealership and educate them on the process. After that the dealership will be able to order the key for you and it should arrive in a couple months(they said 2.5 months for me I think). The charge for me was just over $100 USD to give you a reference point. I hope that helps, ride safe my friends!

-Wolf
  2. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I think this theft deterrence BS has gone too far. This process should't be so difficult and expensive. The disadvantages have outweighed the advantages.
    mysery1 and PaulC like this.
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Wow! What a headache! It was a lot easier for me. I called MotoXotica and spoke with Ann. She did the research, and I had a key sent to me from Austria a few months later. Mine, too, was $100. Good dealerships are worth their weight in gold. Thank you, MotoXotica! :applause:
  4. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Thought I would need a new key but it still works.
    20220525_104411.jpg 20220525_104420.jpg
    mag00 likes this.