1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

How do you know? Rear Shocks

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    How do you know both your shocks are equal? After you rebuild them. Or even before, how do you test them?

When I was assembling the 155mm howitzers for the US Army we assembled very large nitrogen fill shocks. The barrel when it fired slid back and compressed these shocks then it rebounded.

Now we had a hydraulic test stand that compressed these shocks and had pressure Gauges on the test stand that recorded their function. How do you test your Olin shocks.?
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If one shock is valved different it can skew the swingarm. Or bend the other shock.(older olins) the early 80's olins have ball sockets on the eyelets.
  3. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Measure the thickness and count the shims on the valve head. If you have the same number and thickness shims on both shocks then your valving is the same. Many suspension shops also have shock dynos that can test the damping curve.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Thanks for clearing that up.

We had a shock dyne at con diesel where we built the shocks for the 155mm howitzers. Monster shocks were loaded to 200psi nitrogen filled. I wanted to take one home for my front lawn with its 30 mile range....the shocks are near the guys head standing near the red arrow.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZ1900AhDU
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Thank you for the clip, Bill
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I worked on the hydraulics, barrel sleeves where the barrel slides in, the gear wheel drives to raise and lower the barrel, the manual operated disc brakes. Everything is helicoiled.