how do I get my Husky to start first second kick?

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by sebamax2, Jun 1, 2014.

1. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    well so far I have destroyed 2 sets of shoes and my finger from the kick back. When i first bought the bike (husky 570smr) It was meant to be a runner but when it arrived it hardly started with a push start but it run but it was impossible to start it with a kicker. Took the flywheel off and the magnets looked fine to me but the stator plate was shifted to the right for some reason, so i bolted it on back in place where the marks are , now it occasionally starts with the kick start but still a big pain to start. what can be done to have it starting nice and easy first second kick?
    $_12 (2).JPG $_12 (3).JPG $_12 (3).JPG $_12 (5).JPG
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the stator plate was shifted? sound like your timing is out of spec..i would start there. when you move the stator plate a very small amount its a big change in timing
  3. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    yes i know. got it back to original spec. now got to play with the carb hopefully that will sort it out
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    sharp left kicker by the way! some strong swede genes in that one! hope you get it sorted, looks like a fun bike
  5. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    thanks man. gonna play with the carb a little today to see if i can get it starting better
  6. Huskyfatman Husqvarna
    AA Class

My buddy used to race an '01 TE570, an never could get the hang of starting it, or the carb dialed. I think that is the only year of the Mikuni carb, and the reason there was only one year. I believe '02 had the FCR, and I know they had Dellorto through 2000.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

2002 also had the mikuni and they continued to use it thru 2004 on the 250/450/510.
  8. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    i have got the dellerto one. kehin was put on them 02+ nothing i can do that makes it start better, i guess i have to leve it like it is, i have to kick it over about 15 times untill it starts up, hopefully with time i will get the hang of it or come up with a solution
  9. Huskyfatman Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. dteml Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 410 98'
    I had all kind of problems with my stock delorto, on my TE 410 98''.
    The problem was solved as soon as I installed a Keihin FCR 39 from a KTM 520.
    No more overflow inside the cylinder issues, very easy start, also improved my overall bike performance!!
    It's no straight fit, but relatively easy fit.

Recomended upgrade for all delorto owners......:thumbsup:
  11. Will Husqvarna
    AA Class

What's involved in fitting it? New boot, but what else?
  12. dteml Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 410 98'
    First you will have to remove only the Choke plastic lever as it hits the inside of the tank and plug the hole with metal part of the choke.

Second remove all the side screws for washers pipes & the washer pipes.

And third in order to fit the carb you have to rotate it a little bit to the left.
    It also may require to heat the inside of the tank to make some more room for the carb to fit well.

I can post some pics if you like, in order you to see how it's bolted on the bike.
  13. Sund Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC610 1990 frame. Approx 1997 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R60/6 1976, Sold. YZF 250 Sold.
    Please add pictures. As I am considering to change my stock Delerto to a 41mm. Keihin FCR on a 1995 610 TC
  14. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    My 86 510 was the same way, I jump started it more then I'd to count. I was looking in a old Dirt Bike mag (86 test) & they had a starting technic, which I now follow. My also has the Del lorto carb, what they said is this & I follow it to the letter.

1) Cold gas & choke on 2) kick the bike thru (not hard, like you want it to start) 10-12 times. I find it will start easily if when I'm doing the cold pre start kicks thru, if it slightly back fires or pops. To me it means it getting the fuel in to the cylinder, just not at the right exact time 3) get the pison to top dead center, (I put the bike in second 1/4 stroke, In neutral of course (on my bike, I can usually feel the kicker get easier to move or I hear a de compression sound) STOP, let the kicker return to the top ,
    now kick it over.. NO throttle ... Mine start 99% of the time on the 1st kick

Sounds like a big pain, but once you've done a few times, it comes as 2nd nature.

Mine also does like to re-start again til it's warm, so I make sure I'm ready to go when it fires. After less then a 1/2 minute of
    running with choke on , it's good to go, just don't stall it for a few minutes or your jumping it.

Same technic starting hot just NO choke & still no throttle & no pre start kick thru.

try it u maybe surprised

Husky John
  15. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    yes thats what i have been doing got it to start a bit easier.kick it over with the choke on lightly about 4-5 times till it pops and thurn the choke off and give it a nice kick or 2 and it runs :P but im still thinking of changing the carb, i couldhave bought the mikuni 41mm but missed out on that, now wondering with the fcr 39 have you got any pictures of how it sits? and where to get a rubber boot to fit the carb? or would it be fine in the standard one?
  16. dteml Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 410 98'
    Ok , I will post some pics probably in the weekend.
    As for the rubber boot, my mechanic that fitted the carb, told me that the stock one might fit as well.
    He used one from a TE 570 SMR, as my stock one wasn't in good condition.
  17. dteml Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 410 98'
    Sorry I didn't have time to wash the bike......

Ok here you go...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I hope that helps.
  18. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That looks like the stock boot, good to know.
  19. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    I ended up putting on a different carb . Someone listed a mikuni flat side I thought it was the tmr 41 without checking it and bought it. Turns out it's a 40 mikuni flat side of a ktm 640 and it's set up for the husky as the guy had it on his 610. It starts with 2 3 kicks so I'm quiet pleased with it. Haven't got the throttle cables yet so I can't see if there is any difference but I think it's going to be alot smoother . I will let you know and post some pics up
  20. sebamax2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 570 smr
    Now if I knew it was a bst 40 of a lc4 I wouldhave bought the 39 fcr for the same money