How Big A Tank - FI TE610

Discussion in '610/630' started by Howard70, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Moving over from the large tank thread -

If you could get any size tank for your fuel injected TE610, how many gallons would it hold? If we get enough responses I'll forward the results to Aqualine - they are considering an FI TE610 tank and have asked what size would work.

My vote is for 6 gallons.

Howard Snell
  2. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

For me its all about the shape. I really want a tank that carries the fuel way down low to allow for a optimal center of gravity.

If the tank is designed right, i would love 6 or even (like the monster 650R tank from IMS) 7 gallons. But this simply must carry the fuel way down low. Given the Husky fuel pump, that shouldnt be an issue.

If the tank is of a 'conventional' design, meaning it carries the fuel in the same place as the stock tank, just wider and maybe a little taller/deeper, then i would vote for 5 gallons. After 5 gallons the bike will suffer from a negatively altered center of gravity.

Something similar to the IMS 7 gallon XR650r tank would be awesome.
  3. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several
    How far do you have to go without gas? To me a tank that big would make the bike feel awkward and out of balance. You'd be adding another 20 or so pounds to the bike and I really wouldn't want mine heavier. But...that's just me and probably why I'm considering a 510.

Doug
  4. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whatever it’ll be, I would love to have the option :cheers:

:thumbsup:
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 510 rally bike has 6 gallons up front, but its mostly all down low.
    Its amazing how little change there is in the handling of the bike. In fact it feels even more steady than stock in some ways.

Its all about where the weight is. Up high, i would totally agree with you. The bike would be very hard to ride if all the extra fuel was up high.

Another secret to large fuel tanks is fuel foam. Its amazing what all that sloshing around does. Foam keeps things much more stable.

Just some ideas. :thumbsup:
  6. desmo900 Husqvarna
    A Class

I vote for 6 gallons. I have 6 gal. on my xr650r but i can only get 185 miles off road.
    This is another reason why Im looking at the 610
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My buddy rode this 6 gallon tank once and sold it on the spot to a freind at a huge loss. He said it made his bike not even worth riding. He is a good rider and was struggling all day.

Like Mike says, high placed sloshing weight can ruin all the fun.

[IMG]
  8. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

Anything in the 5-6 gallon range would be nice.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    That looks HUGE and not fun to ride at all...
  10. rajobigguy Administrator

I'm trying to understand the enthusiasm about a large tank for the 610. They have a range of between 120-150 miles per tank, they aren't a full on competetion bike so there is no time penalty for stopping to get gas and if you are planning a really remote adventure you can always carry a couple of liters in some MSR bottles just for that event. Why do so many people want to be saddled with a hugh tank?:excuseme:
  11. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm not greedy, just one more gallon for me!:thumbsup:

:D OK, maybe two more......:)
  12. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

that giant KTM tank is horrible. ive ridden one with that in baja, it was just not an option.

the 7 gallon IMS tank for the 650 is great. Its got a fuel pump and carries the fuel down low. Guys raced with it in the Baja 2000 and preferred it over a 3.2 gallon tank, just cause the weight was down low.

Fuel pumps open up fuel tank design, big time...
  13. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Why a big tank?

While I can't speak for others who'd like a larger tank in the 6 gallon range, my need/desire for something in that range comes from riding in areas where it is easy to go 200 miles between fuel stops - without doing any exploring on side roads, etc. Add to that a camping trip that might be 100 miles in and then you want to ride to ride around and explore for a day or two....

However, I do agree with Mike Kay that a tank in the 6 gallon range has to be designed well and carry the fuel as low as possible.

In terms of using a couple of MSR bottles - If that was enough fuel then I wouldn't be looking at a larger tank at all - I'd just add the MSR bottles to the stock tank and be happy!

If you're wondering where in the US a 6 gallon tank wouldn't be enough, check out a transit of the Arizona Strip from Gold Butte through Grand Wash, Shiviwits Plateau, Whitmore Wash, Mount Trumbull, Toroweap, Kanab Point and exit at Fredonia. Depending on how many side trips you take to various points on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that could be 500 to 600 miles.

Howard L. Snell
  14. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I REALLY want to ride a trip with ya sometime. Sounds like some wild countryside. :cheers:
  15. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Me, too!

I hear what you're saying, Howard. I had a 200+ mile ride planned while in NV over Thanksgiving, but due to a detour around a frozen snow-covered pass, I never made it to my destination. I had a 200 mile range with my 5gal IMS tank, and I had another gallon on the back, but it wasn't enough. The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire:p

FarRangin'Chick
  17. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Mike & Woodschick:

Great to hear from other fuel junkies. Keep the AZ Strip ride in the back of your minds. A self-supported version might develop into something a small group of riders could do together.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire" - That's the best summary yet!

Howard
  18. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

For some of the more remote 200+ stretches, adventure riding.

And the all too common:
    [IMG]
  19. tlking6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

5gallons would be my vote, down low and not alot wider preffered. You dont have to fill it up all the time but for when you do it would be nice to get 200 miles and with the power up kit my scoot gets a touch over 40 off road
  20. Tagati Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would like 7gal
    Hey I live in Australia :thumbsup: