1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Horse Power Ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, May 20, 2013.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just thought I would pass along that I intalled a HPI Ignition on my 84 M-Star 500 and rode the bike for the first time Yesterday. Ok so its not a Husqvarna and Yes I realise that I'm on Cafe Husky. But since both Bikes use a Motoplat and there has been a demand for a replacement . So first off its a 500 ( OK its really a 490) and it will start useing the Kick Starter. Keep in mind these Bikes came with a Compresion Release. The instalation was straight forward its comes with an internal Rotor that weighed 5 ounces less than the Motoplat. The Rotor dose not use a Keyway so You need to mount the Stator where You want it and then line up the mark on the Rotor and install it. Then it can be fine tuned by moving the Stator just the Motoplat. There is a Coil provided and also a CDI box. The CDI box should be protected from vibration so I mounted it to the Air Box. Oddly enough the kit dose not come with a Spark Plug Cap, ( a Lawyer must be involved) so I got a NGK at my local shop. It said resistor on the Box but there wasn't a rating so it was assumed that its not a resistor. I'm running a B8ES Plug. With no Plug in the Hole it dosn't have a Bright Blue Spark and when the Bike was Cold it took a bit to get it going. It takes a couple of Kicks when warm. I set it at 3 mm BTDC with 1.8 being stock. The Bike is pinging a bit on de acceleration so I think the Idle circut needs to be richened up a bit wich should help starting. I purchased mine from John at Canadian Maico he has sold 10 so far and so far and has had good reports. $325 price is not to bad either. I think that the Maico and Husky do not use the same Taper on the Crank but I may be wrong, I would assume that there is one avalable for the Husqvarna. They are from Belgium, not China.
  2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Nice report. I've helped a friend get an HPI running on a moped. Similarly, I was not impressed with the spark... it looks weak when kicking, and the bike is very hard to start. Runs great once started.

Just curious - How or why did you choose 3mm BTDC when the stock setting is 1.8mm? And, that could easily be all or part of you pinging.
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Does it have any sort of advance designed into it. Modern chainsaws for that price and even less have smart coils now. Even one setting for starting and another for running would be an upgrade.
  4. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I chose 3 degs because the instructions said to use between 2 and 4. John is useing one at 4 degs ( an older 440 motor) and is having good results. The bike is pretty new to me and I'm just getting it sorted out. My main reason for replacing the ignition was on my first real ride on this rebuilt Motor was that it flamed out wile rideing down a straight as soon as I was 25 miles from the nearest road. After wiggeling conections that had just been cleaned days before and finding nothing wrong a weak spark was detected 40 minutes later and the bike came back to life and ran fine for the rest of the day. The Bike has a Kehin flat slide that I bought set up for this motor. With my rebuilt Motor and the addition of a V-3 Reed I noticed it was running a bit leaner off Idle. I rode it once with the Choke on and didn't notice, a sure sign it needs richning it up is in order and will help starting. Looking at there Web sight I think that they say that the Stock Rotor can be retained. If so one could keep the same weight on the end of the crank, and who knows with a heavyer magnate would it make a bigger spark wile kicking it?
  5. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not sure about this.I think John mentioned that he has one that dose, and or there is a kit in the proccess to add it ? Looking at the Web sight is not to clear about this either. So I think its in the works, if not avalable now as an option.
  6. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    PIickilito -- that's too far advanced...It should be 2-2.1 for a 490/500 Maico. The older 400/440 (1972 to 1977) were 3.5 to 3.7.
  7. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Skoalman! I agree... was this maybe intended for 1982 XC 430?
  8. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    Do you mean to ask was the HPI for an 82 XC 430 or you referring to the timing specs I suggested for the Maico?...Those specs come from the numerous (Hey, wanna buy another Maico??? :thinking::D) Maico manuals that I have.
  9. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the original post, "82 XC 430" said he set his Maico at 3mm BTDC even though he has stock specs at 1.8... I was just curious why he did that, and wanted to make sure he got your information rather than thinking it was for me.
  10. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I set it at 3 because the HPI manual sugested between 2 and 4. I think that the directions are pretty generic, and probably don't take into account a big bore let alone a Maico. I'm going to go back to the 1.8 mm that I had with the stock Motopat. I thought a bit more advance would help starting. I am also going to replace the Spark Plug Cap, I have got a couple of Out Board Motor Rubber Caps that have no Resistor, but to me they are cheap. I have a Rubber NGK now that looks much better built, and I'm going to see it I can remove the resistor.
  11. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a brand new HPI stator for a CR500 for sale if anyone is interested. I am in the UK but will post worldwide.

This is the internal rotor stator.

Looking for 100 U.S. dollars and that will include shipping.
  12. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Since this old thread has sprung back up I thought I would pass along some new developments. I have since changed the timing to 2mm or so. This stopped the pinging but didn't help the starting any. I have since installed some extra Plates that John at Canadian Maico sent me. These Steel Plates are what the internal Rotor Magnates pass by. By adding more it creates a hotter Spark at low RPM and easier starting. I understand that the downside is that it also creates more heat and a shorter life span. Since I'm not ridding this bike daily I'm not to concerned about that part. The good part is that it will now start on the Kick Starter. I didn't say it would easily start, but I have made it to the starting line on time. I have talked to others some of who say the extra made no difference. They did for me.