high idle on cold start

Discussion in 'TR650' started by CarstenB, Jan 31, 2018.

1. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    my Terra idles quite high (2800-3000rpm) for the first two or three seconds on cold start when ambient temperature is below say 15C (60F) then drops to below 2000 and then settles at 1600. I don't remember that high initial idle from before the ECU reflash. When i do a adaption reset and rebuild, it doesn't do it for the first few cold starts but then goes back to that behavior.

Just wondering if others observe this too.
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I had similar behavior. Over several weeks of use it seems to have decreased and starts mostly normally now — at least normal enough that it doesn’t concern me, but still is subtly different than before the reflash. It seemed to help when I did extended first gear idle crawling, like very slow putting around on trails, or like when I just idled around a cemetery once. I suspect it had something to do with certain adaptations not getting built correctly.
  3. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  4. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    thanks. I guess things will improve once it warms up again down here. Just bothers me that the cold engine revs higher than necessary.

Regarding the stalling you mentioned on advrider: my Terra tends to have slight hick-ups in idle when the fuel level is low. In the meantime i can almost predict when the fuel light will come on just by this behavior. It's not really bad and it does not stall, just occasionally misses a beat. I guess the fuel pump sucks in air when the fuel swaps around in the tank. I may need to position it deeper.