1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

High Flow vs. K&N Oil Filter

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Runner, Apr 18, 2012.

?

Do you prefer a High Flow or K&N oil filter?

Poll closed May 2, 2012.
High Flow 7 vote(s) 100.0%
K&N 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    The dealer performed the "power up" before buying. In fact it wasn't even mentioned that he'd do it, must just be assumed.

I dont know anyone in Aus who bought Husky that wasnt powered up. Next to the other brands like KTM etc who sell their bikes already"powered up" Husky wouldnt stand a chance over here if they were sold in stock trim.
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    In the USA, the bikes are supposed to be "delivered" stock, meaning the bike meets all regulations for noise and emissions. Some dealers would do the PowerUps after delivery, some dealers would not do PowerUps, insisting the buyer had to arrange to have it done and then bring it back for tuning.
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Apparently a number of Japanese and Italian manufactureres have been hauled up in Europe for advertising the p/u ratings in contrast to the ratings for their legally registered bikes. So it would seem that manufacturers are getting to the point where they sell bikes according to environmental legal restrictions ... but enable owners to "unplug" them immediately after purchase (which, by the way, lets the manufacturer off having to guarantee their products). There´s hardly a performance bike on the market without a manufacturer´s "Special Parts" (p/u kit) list. A great many owners here would be very unhappy if stricter police checks were carried out. I wonder how this is going to end ...
  4. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The K&N website once offered to develop kits to re-fit their air filters for most bikes but I can´t find anything on their latest webbsite. Has anyone experimented with a different setup to replace the Husky foam air cover?
  5. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    On the PU kit, it is unlawful for a dealer to make those changes. Some still do them, but as stated, they are to deliver the unit per manufacturers specs that conform to federal and state EPA regulations.

I bought mine from Malcolm Smith Motorsports. They could not, would not do any modifications or performance tuning. They could refer me to someone outside the dealership that could/would do that work. They said they had a two agents show up recently from California Air Resources Board, showed their badges, and requested access to the entire operation. They went thru records, the shop, and all of the motorcycles at the facility until they found something that violated their regs. they found two, fined them $10K each. So needless to say, for twenty grand they weren't going to be doing any performance tuning on new motorcycles.

Also, the foam air filter is factory spec. The CARB/EPA models had an internal baffel that some other countries did not have, likely NZ/Aus. I'm not sure what it's purpose was, perhaps to balance airflow for the catalytic converters, or possibly to quiet intake noise. Most likely the latter. I can't imagine anyone wanting to change the air filter to something else.

The oil filter is a paper element, plus the two screens on the bottom of the engine on each side. The screens are cleaned each oil change, and the paper filter is replaced.

Frankly I'm surprised at the confusion.
  6. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No confusion ... I´d just prefer a K&N air filter. Also, I´m surprised (and sad) to learn the the US can be just as prohibitive as the EU.
  7. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Did Rocky Mountain send you the 563 filters or the 154? They don't list that info on their site. I've ordered the 563 HiFlo's from Motosportz, but want the K&N's to compare.
  8. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    RM sent me KN-563 filters. The part # is 1093760062.
  9. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Thankyou, Andrew, the part number is what I needed. Cheers!
  10. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    You're very welcome!
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Never had a stainless filter as stock. Now onto 5 Huskies. Currently have 2 TE 310's an 09 ans 10 model.
  12. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
  13. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    From what ive been told the K&N filters are re branded HF filters
  14. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I've heard that, but not sure.

I'm just not sure if I should use the one with the hole all the way through. Not talking about the bypass valve end here- what I'm curious about is why one has a thru-hole inside and the other does not. The one that came out didn't have the hole, so I replaced it with the one that has no hole.
  15. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Sounds like a defective one or mis-marked part number, maybe got put back in the wrong box at a parts house. It's not supposed to have a hole all the way through - the oil is supposed to go THROUGH the paper element. :D