1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

High Flow vs. K&N Oil Filter

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Runner, Apr 18, 2012.

?

Do you prefer a High Flow or K&N oil filter?

Poll closed May 2, 2012.
High Flow 7 vote(s) 100.0%
K&N 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    I need an oil filter for my 2006 TE510 and need to decide between a High Flow and a K&N. Does anybody have a preference between the two? The K&N are more money, but the High Flow are claimed to be OEM.
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I have only used HF on mine, I have cut several open and have found no defects in the 563 filter.
  3. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    What is the difference between the 154 and 563? My bike shows it takes the 154, but I read some guys are using the 563.
  4. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Had the same question, did a bunch of research...here's what I found:

The 563 is the updated version of the 154.
    Part numbers:
    Hiflow: H154, H563
    K&N: K154, K563

The 563 is designed to handle increased oil pressure in the new motors starting 2009. they have an internal spring to prevent collapse.
    The seal is more substantial and stronger.
    The 563 is a millimeter longer than the 154 which probably makes zero difference in use.

George at Uptite says he'd use the 154 only in a pinch, the updated filter is what you want for the newer models. We all trust his opinion, I think. The 563 will also work in the older models, backward compatible.

As far as brand to brand, I was told the K&N used a better adhesive for the paper element and that a hiflow, if left in for an extended period (years), could eventually come apart. I don't leave them in for more than a few months so would use either brand that was available to me, handy to get.

My local dealer sold me a 154 for the 630 and I just found out about the 563, so I'm changing it out right away. I have about 50% of the change interval on it but don't wish to chance it. And oil and filter change is cheap insurance and peace of mind. Besides, it's an excuse to check all the screens which I have not done since the bike was new, now at 2200 miles. Oh wait, I did check the easy one, just not the one behind the big cover.
  5. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

i was once told hi flo makes the k&n oil filters for k&n.i dont know if this is this is true as i did not research it further but on both packages it says made in thailand.it is a small world after all!dan
  6. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I would be curious why they use different color paper then. Isn't K&N kind of a red/pink color and Hiflowfiltro an amber color? Maybe I'm just thinking of different elements for differing models.
  7. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    Interesting stuff, thanks guys. I'll go with the KN154 only because I can pick one up locally and my early bike does not need the 563 high pressure relief valve.
  8. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I did get a KN-563 filter and a gallon of Amsoil 20-50 so I went ahead and did a full service oil change yesterday. Last change was at 1200 miles, I"m at 2200. Last (first) filter at 650 miles.

The 563 filter is definitely different, does look upgraded. There is a spring inside, and the seal is more substantial, actually looks like it seals a little tighter. I also read somewhere the over pressure valve is higher pressure. It looks like it should do a better job filtering the oil than the 154.

Oil was still amber colored with some darker coloration. Certainly not at end of life.
    I wanted to pull the right side screen for insurance. I had not removed the big side cover with the pump and filter housing since the bike was new. Nothing on that screen. Only a spec or two of dirt on the left side screen.

Guess I'm good for at least a couple of thousand miles now. Bike runs like a swiss watch. :thumbsup:
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    So they look different and they can charge 30% more for the K&N.
  10. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I bought some from Rocky Mountain for $8 a piece. I think that's about the same price as I've seen HF sell for. :excuseme:
  11. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    A 'discounted' price for either should be about $5. No one should be paying more than $8 or the seller is profiteering. :D
  12. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Looks like George has done a reversal on this then. Last October I ordered three oil filters from him for my 2011 TE630 expecting Husky OEM. Instead he shipped HiFlow HF154 which I knew wasn't the listed filter for a 630. I called him and questioned it and he said he only uses the HF154 and no reason to buy the more expensive HF563. After I used those three up I bought HF563 and not going back.

_
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    1lunger likes this.
  14. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    My bike came stock with and is still running the re-usable stainless mesh filters. They seem to remove debris quite well and are in mint condition. Do they not provide these with the bikes in Canada/USA/Europe?
  15. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Are you talking about the screens that protect the clutch area and the oil pump, #s 7, 20, and 27.

[IMG]
  16. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes those filters, but also the other main filter on the RH side of the engine. Should I take a photo?
  17. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    In the USA, Huskys come stock with a paper oil filter
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Those SS filters are very expensive as compared to a paper element ... ESP to put one in every bike sold ... Who makes the one in your bike?
  19. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I understand that the SS filters in my bike aren't a one off and all other huskys have them here I as far as I know. Dont know who the manufacturer is, haven't seen it stamped anywhere on the filter (but it is definitely a stock item).

The bike also comes stock with a large "twin air" air filter element. Is this a stock item in the U.S.?

Maybe husqvarna decided it was worth the additional cost because of the relatively harsh/dirty conditions we experience here in Australia? Might be more effective to put in better parts rather than pay for extra warranty claims?? Just a guess..
  20. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I think the TwinAir filter came as a part of the PowerUp package, when you took out the intake muffler, you got to put on the TwinAir filter to open it up.