1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Hesitation or Bog when cracking Throttle Open

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by tonycar107, Oct 20, 2010.

1. tonycar107 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The back story is, 09 510sm I just opened up the stock exhaust (put perforated core and packed it), has power up kit intstalled. Saturday I will be dynoing it, but I would like to figure out the problem before that. My first ride after the exhaust mod it popped really bad on decel, so I added alot of fuel at closed throttle. My next ride I noticed a really quick bog at around 4000 to 5000 rpm when I went from no throttle to wide open quick. I then added some fuel in that area and it made it worse. What I don't understand is how could opening up the exhaust cause a richening higher in the rpm and simultaneously causing lean popping? I really am afraid of taking more fuel away at this point.

Thank you.
  2. tonycar107 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just went to the garage and tried more fuel, less fuel, disabling the accelerator pump feature, tried multiple accelerator setups and it still does a split second hesitation. This time I was at idle and went straight to wide open. I'm lost.
  3. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

make sure its warm. my bike will have a hesitation when cold but get better once warm
  4. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

I set up my 09 TE510 on the dyno (stock 49bhp) but in the real world it would cough and stall in the tricky stuff.
    Ended up closing the gap on 1 and 2 in the CO settings and it cured it. It reduced the flameout when you cracked the throttle at standstill too.
  5. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    your decel popping may be more of a exhaust leak symptom than an lean fueling symptom- so you may be chasing the wrong problem making it worse. I would put the settings back to what they originally were and start from there. I would reseal your exhaust joints with high temp rtv and let sit for 12-24 hrs to let it cure. Or ignore decel popping for awhile. Let the dyno do its job on saturday. Least you have that going for you.
  6. RideLI631 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 FE501, 09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard, Honda Shadow ,DR650
    Check your intake boot. If its loose it will make the motor bog randomly.
  7. tonycar107 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I am goin to try all the above. I just had the bike torn down to the frame, so there could be a exhaust leak or an intake boot loose. I think I am going to disconnect the pc too since it wasn't on there before.
  8. tonycar107 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just disconnected the pc and checked anything loose. Here is a shot of the spark plug. Looks pretty rich imo oh and the gap was small so I gapped it properly.

Attached Files:

9. tonycar107 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Rode it last night and today to work. Upped the idle to 2000 and still no pc connected and no more bog at all, popped on decel but nothing out of the normal. Think I was making it worse by adding fuel to stop the pop. Tomorrow should be fun.
  10. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Glad it worked out, Let us know about your trip to the dyno!
  11. SilverTT Husqvarna
    A Class

Having same issue. Really loud popping on decel and slight to heavy bog on mid throttle acceleration. Bike starts and idles perfectly. Seems like the bogging / chugging seems to get worse when bike is warmed up but not totally sure on that point.

Have changed plug in a while so I'll do that and also check the intake boot.

Anybody have a PDF version of the 2008 Husq 510SMR owner manual?
  12. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
  13. SilverTT Husqvarna
    A Class

Much appreciated HuskynxJ.

Where do you guys buy your plugs, oil, filters, etc. Everyone use Halls-Cycles pretty much?
  14. 4DIRT Husqvarna
    B Class

Buy a Power Commander V before the dyno. I was having the same problem on my TE450. I put a LeoVince and a Dynojet 5 and I have a new bike. Wow! You need to set it up on the dyno using a O2. My bike has power from 1500rpm to 9000rpm. It starts to drop off at about 8700 rpm.
  15. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    MOTOSPORTZ air and oil filters, brakes, sprockets and chains, damper.....
    OEM= Halls Husqvarna actually some OEM parts are at Motosportz too... ASK Kelly he'll let you know...
    OIL- local dealer or by the case I think there's a AMS oil dealer on here who's a sponsor....
    Spark Plugs, caps... Motorcycle superstore or thumpertalk store...
    I do everything online mainly- I don't leave town to shop much and am 2 hours from my dealer- I go the opposite direction to ride... If I leave town unless I have a bike on the trailer...:D
  16. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    Almost every FI bike I have had doesn't like to work well below 1800-2000 rpms. I could get it tuned where it will rip from that idle speed on up.

When I got my 310 and had the Husky Race ECU installed and tuned, it came with the idle set at 1900 and it is clean and crisp form idle to red line.

Agree about making sure the motor is well warmed up to operating temperature. Makes a big difference. My Aprilia Tuono ran like a BoH with the FP chip, but it was VERY cold blooded until warm and same thing, like higher than normal idle for seamless throttle response.
  17. speed junkie Husqvarna
    C Class

had same problem with my 08 sm450r when shifting fast. it was like it running out if gas with a carb bike. went away soon as i put a power up kit on. Now it rips!:thumbsup: