1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Help to ID Husky

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Mark Harris, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Mark Harris Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 360 cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    Hi guys could someone help me ID this bike I think the motor is a 87 cr430 and the frame a 84 wr430 I'm a bit confused the motor has a mount where a water pump could be installed .

Attached Files:

2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Yes it would appear someone has swapped an aircooled cylinder on to a Watercooled motor from the pictures & your motor #.

Not a bad thing, as the later model motor had a bunch of improvement internally over the earlier ones. You've got the bike
    a lot of Husky guys, think Husky should have built, but didn't, as they went to the single shock watercooled bikes.
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    There was no 1984 430WR but magically ruwfo created one a few years ago :) Also the 82 430WR engine I have came with a 1986 aluminum LC clutch cover so as you are starting to find out, many 80's Husqvarna primary kick engine parts cross reference over a wide range of years.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The engine number does indicate 1987 430CR. Those cases are a better home for 430 engine components as the older twin shock cases tend to crack the rear engine mounting. The cases for the single shock engines seem to have gotten beefed up to accommodate the larger swingarm pivot(2mm larger).
  5. Mark Harris Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 360 cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    Thanks for all of your inputs . Seems weird they would use the same side cover on air cooled and water cooled .
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    husky used the same stuff everywhere they could.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Just a few comments.

I see the shorter nylon insert for the steering stop. At least in 1983 with the aluminum tank the wr and xc had longer stops because of the larger tank.

The Kick starter (kick lever) is the last version and it really should be used with a matching clutch cover as the offset of the centerlines of the lever shaft and the splined shaft is different (this is the steel external piece that has the splines and the post that goes inside the aluminum kick lever) and the clutch cover has a different rubber bumper mostly because the clutch cavity needs a bit bigger. I do not think there was an air cooled clutch cover for that kickstarter and the piece it attaches to. The last air cooled cover would be for an 1986 four stroke. It is probably necessary to use an 87-88 clutch cover with the 87-88 clutch basket.

An 1987 cr 430 should have 5 gear ratios, A 6 speed would have less rare parts in the transmission at least the gears in the 430 were used another 10 years or so in the older single cam section. I would have to check the literature to see if it had it's own primary reduction.

As to blowing out the rear of the engine castings at the swingarm pivot, while there is a little more material around the insert for the mono shock models (something strange may have been going at the first mono shock models) the rear of the mono shock cases blow out much more often and at a point where the engine internals, most of them are relatively healthy. I think the shock or perhaps the swingarm put stresses at that point that was addressed with changes to the way the tubes are arranged under the engine as time went by and really addressed by the Italians as this platform continued in the older single cam section.

How the 12mm swingarm pivot rod and the forces on the hardened tube that the swingarm bearings ride on transfers to the engine could be done in a good way or not.

Fran
  8. Mark Harris Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 360 cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    Thanks for the info .