Help! Te 630 almost impossible to start when cold

Discussion in '610/630' started by targaman2, May 30, 2012.

1. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

I have an '11 630 that seemed to start well last year, but this year is a bear!I've looked and read all over this site and removed and inspected the pump and hoses,wires that are in the tank and they look fine.The bike has 250 miles on it since new.I've tried it 1)with the start lever pulled,2)tried turning the kill switch off and on twice,3)the only way it will start is if I crank and crank and crank twisting the throttle quickly and trying to coax it to stay running when it fires.(this can't be good for the starter).It will die several times before it finally will run but it idles erratically between 1650-2000 rpm.Once it is warm, it will re-start right away!I have a JD tuner on it and have set it at 3's across the board after nothing else seemed to help with the starting.Any suggestions?
  2. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Unplug the JD box and see how it starts.
  3. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Thank you Hammer,I tried that, makes no difference stock or JD...just as hard to start...
  4. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    When you turn on the ignition do you hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system? What does the spark plug look like? Is the green neutral light blinking? If this issue came with the first outing of your season perhaps the gas went bad.
  5. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    There's a bunch of clutch drag in these bikes. Do you have the bike in neutral when you're starting it? That makes a big difference.
  6. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Temperature sensor is bad. Very common failure. If you have iBeat it will probably show the fault code.

_
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1.. when it does run does the fan stay on 100% of the time? Even when just starting and still cold? This happened to mine and the new temp sensor was the fix.
  8. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

+2 I just replaced the temperature sensor on my 630 last week. It started running poorly and became hard to start, and when it did start, the radiator fan was running with the flashing neutral light. The temperature has been replaced with a newer version (different part #) all is well now.
  9. Troup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF - KTM SX
    +3 exactly the same here. temp sensor died at about 2000 miles
    Dealer kindly posted me out a new one under warranty.
  10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine starts straight off under all conditipns, hot or cold. BUT the green light still flashes all the time. Have tried everything. T´was ok before I did the p/u conversion. Haven´t got iBeat. Could it be the temp sensor? Is it worth exchanging the sensor just to see what happens? Or is the new one expensive?
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Not the temp sensor, don't exchange it. Flashing light is most likely a phantom lambda error code from your p/u conversion. If you planning on keeping your bike for awhile you really should get iBeat. If not I hope you have a dealer nearby and they give you free diagnostics. Would only take a few visits at normal shop rates to pay for your iBeat.

_
  12. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Hello Eric,
    Yes, the pump does pressurize,the plug looked normal but I changed it for a new on anyways.The neutral light does not blink.The gas has been changed to fresh 91octane.
  13. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

@jtemple,Yes, I do pull the clutch in with the bike in neutral.
  14. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

@Silverbullet,I do not have iBeat...I confess I don't know what that is.Is it model specific?I will order a spare temp sensor you mention just to be safe and try that, thank you.
  15. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
  16. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

@Fast 1,I haven't noticed that the fan is running all the time once I am riding, will take for a spin (when I get it running) and check that.Thank you
  17. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Haven´t got an iBeat (it´s quoted in the Husky Spare Parts list), and use a MAC so would need BootCamp to run it. There´s nowhere within a few hundred miles, so will just have to put up with the flashing light until one day I might just get down to Munich. Although iBeat would be useful to set the TPS.
  18. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Try a new NGK CR8EIX Iridium spark plug. A auto parts store may even have them in stock.
  19. targaman2 Husqvarna
    C Class

Thank you everyone for your help, I will try the Iridium plug as well...By the way, the Neutral light does flash all the time while I am driving the bike.If it sits for an hour or so (for lunch break) it becomes hard to start again!When cold in morning it takes about 3-4 minutes of off/on cranking and throttle bursts...can't be good for the starter.I give it a throttle twist with each crank burst and it will fire but not stay running.After about 20-30 of these crank bursts it will finally stay running however the idle surges up and down 1600-2000 rpm.After that it starts with a touch of the button and a quick twist of the throttle.I guess I will try the temp sensor...My dealer says 3 weeks to get it looked at in the shop :(
  20. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

contact Halls.. they have the temp sensor in stock.. don't wast your time with the spark plug
    jtemple likes this.