1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Help on '74 Chain Guide

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by motorick, Aug 1, 2017.

1. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Stumped... chain guide & bracket have 6mm holes for bolts but the guide rubber inserts look to be 8mm. Can't imagine this was stock and they ran that loose on the bolt. Wrong rubbers? Easy solution would be drill out holes for 8mm bolts, but was curious if anyone had an early stock setup and could tell me how the factory had them : )

Attached Files:

2. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Stock has spacers with 6mm ID - see #18:

74 Chain Guide - Copy.jpg
  3. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Thanks, where in the parts manual does it state the 6mm? All my manuals just state "spacer"

Does anyone have an alternative roller solution? I've seen skateboard wheels used, but the dimension seems too small (roughly 20mm width / 26.5mm height w/ the 6mm center bolt).
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I've had a dozen or so used Huskys from this era make their way through my garage and theres been a combination of 6mm and 8mm ID sleeves. I have owned a new 73 450 but don't have the memory to tell you what ID the sleeve was. My take on it is that the bikes came with 6mm ID sleeves and when the sleeves got torn up from replacing worn rubber wheels a piece of 5/16" ID tubing replaced the stock 6mm sleeve.

From the sound of it you're going to ride this bike a lot so you want to improve on the part. If so a quality bearing with small OD one piece urethane wheels would be a great replacement. Unfortunately I haven't seen any after market part like this I can recommend.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If you search on eBay for this part they have a selection through the years to look at. Some have smaller holes that appear to be 6mm. Just for a looksee.
  6. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    All Balls do a small wheel with a sealed bearing ..raised centre section for the chain to run on.. from memory it is a KTM fitment..