Help a NOOB out please - TE630

Discussion in '610/630' started by Tarsky, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    Per the title, I'm a noob when it comes to dirt bikes, enduros, dual sport, etc. That said, I suspect I'll get some heckling, but you never learn if you're afraid to ask questions, right?

So, I have a 2011 TE630 that I really love to ride. When I bought it, I took it to my local dealer and said "look it over and do whatever needs to be done"...again, because I don't know the first thing about these bikes. They changed all of the fluids, put new tires on it, put some parts back on that the previous owner took off for some reason and $700 later...I picked it up.

I've ridden it approximately 200 miles since then and it's performed perfectly! Today, I had my first no-speed get off and laid it down on the right side while on a really tough ravine climb. Literally, I laid it down softly. The ground was too uneven for me to continue to hold the weight of the bike up. My buddy helped me push it out of the ravine and we rode an additional 2 hours...all is well.

I put it in my trailer and took it home and when I got home, I noticed a small pool of oil under the bike. I do have a Touratech skid plate and there is no signs of any damage there, so I kept looking around the bike. On the right side of the bike, I found some oil and dirt below what I believe is the airbox. It appears that oil is seeping from the airbox, down into the skidplate and it's leaking from a corner hole in the skidplate.

So, I took off the rear side plastic and started trying to open up the airbox for inspection...

Problem #1 - 2 of the bolts won't come out. At first, I thought the bolts were stripped but it turns out that the bolts are turning but the threaded part that they bolt into is turning in the plastic housing....great, right? The only fix I can see is to drill the heads of the bold out and hope that I can get new threaded inserts. Any other ideas?

Problem #2 - I can visibly see that the air filter is soaked in oil. Is that normal? I mean drenched! Again, I suspect that this is a noobish question, but I've never had to deal with this sort of thing before. Assuming that I can get the airbox open, I'm assuming that I'll need to replace it. Does anyone know a good place to get one?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Not getting a picture or a question. Hard to help?
  3. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    Yes, very strange indeed. Let's try this again:

Per the title, I'm a noob when it comes to dirt bikes, enduros, dual sport, etc. That said, I suspect I'll get some heckling, but you never learn if you're afraid to ask questions, right?

So, I have a 2011 TE630 that I really love to ride. When I bought it, I took it to my local dealer and said "look it over and do whatever needs to be done"...again, because I don't know the first thing about these bikes. They changed all of the fluids, put new tires on it, put some parts back on that the previous owner took off for some reason and $700 later...I picked it up.

I've ridden it approximately 200 miles since then and it's performed perfectly! Today, I had my first no-speed get off and laid it down on the right side while on a really tough ravine climb. Literally, I laid it down softly. The ground was too uneven for me to continue to hold the weight of the bike up. My buddy helped me push it out of the ravine and we rode an additional 2 hours...all is well.

I put it in my trailer and took it home and when I got home, I noticed a small pool of oil under the bike. I do have a Touratech skid plate and there is no signs of any damage there, so I kept looking around the bike. On the right side of the bike, I found some oil and dirt below what I believe is the airbox. It appears that oil is seeping from the airbox, down into the skidplate and it's leaking from a corner hole in the skidplate.

So, I took off the rear side plastic and started trying to open up the airbox for inspection...

Problem #1 - 2 of the bolts won't come out. At first, I thought the bolts were stripped but it turns out that the bolts are turning but the threaded part that they bolt into is turning in the plastic housing....great, right? The only fix I can see is to drill the heads of the bold out and hope that I can get new threaded inserts. Any other ideas?

Problem #2 - I can visibly see that the air filter is soaked in oil. Is that normal? I mean drenched! Again, I suspect that this is a noobish question, but I've never had to deal with this sort of thing before. Assuming that I can get the airbox open, I'm assuming that I'll need to replace it. Does anyone know a good place to get one?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  4. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    I'm not sure why my post didn't show up the first two time, LOL.

Perhaps the 3rd time will be the charm...

Per the title, I'm a noon when it comes to dirt bikes, enduros, etc. That said, forgive me if my questions are basic 101 level.

So I have a 2011 TE630. It's been running perfectly, no issues whatsoever. On Sunday, I had my first "get off"...a zero speed, lay down on the right saide while trying to climb out of a steep ravine. I laid it down softly as I could not hold up all of the weight of the bike standing on one foot on a near 45 degree right to left embankment. My buddy helped me push it out of the ravine and I continued to ride it for another couple of hours...no issues.

I took it home in my trailer and then I unloaded it, I noticed a small puddle of oil under the bike. I have a Touratech skid plate and there were absolutely no signs of damage so I kept looking around the bike for the source. On the right side of the bike, I found some oil and dirt below what appears to be the airbox. The oil seems to be seeping out of the airbox under the engine and into the skidplate.

So, I took off the rear side plastic and tried to open up the airbox for inspection...

Problem #1 - of the bolts wont come out. At first, I thought the bolt heads were stripped but it turns out that the bolts are turning but the thresded inserts that they bolt into are turning...great, right? The only fix that I can see is to drill out the heads of the bolts out and hope that I can get new inserts. Any other ideas?

Problem #2 - I can visibly see through the inspection window that the filter is drenched in oil. Is that normal? Again, I suspect that this is a noob question, but I've never had to deal with this before. Assuming that I can get the airbox open, I'm assuming that I'll need to replace it. Any suggestions?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help
  5. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I just had one of the insert turn go loose on my airbox. I took an air wrench to it and basically turned it until the plastic holding it melted and I was able to pull it out. I "glued" it back with JB weld. Not sure if it'll work, but it was enough to put it all back together.
    You can buy the airbox part from Hall: $43
    http://www.halls-cycles.com/default.asp?page=xstore&keyword=8000H2367

As for oil on the filter: These need to be oiled to catch fine dust. Obviously a regular clean up is needed, especially if you ride in a dusty environment.
    If the previous owner went a bit overboard with the oiling, it will eventually pool to the bottom and come out from the drain hole.
    I bought new filters and use https://notoil.com. It simplify the cleaning process tremendously. I have been using it on all my dirt bikes forever.
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    If your bike was running when it fell over on the right side, you were pumping oil out of the breather tube in the head into the airbox, which is probably what you see seeping out.

As far as the spinning airbox nuts, it's a common problem, you can search here for the solutions that some have tried.
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Yes, very often if bike is on right side engine oil will come into airbox and drain out.

The spinning nuts are common problem.

8. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Do all the inserts of the bolts spin?
    I had that problem, but not all the bolts spun, so I was able to slide a pipe plier, grabbing the inserts like this:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The force of my hands wasn't enough to prevent the insert from turning, so I utilized that small vise.
    NCSteve likes this.
  9. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    Awesome info guys. Much appreciated. No, not all of the inserts spin, but two of them do and of course...they are on opposite sides of the box, so it will be hard to do it as pictured above.

Yes, the bike was running for a bit while on it's side as I slipped to the ground and had to get back to the bike and hit the kill switch. Sounds like I pumped some oil into the box as you guys suggested.

Thanks again for all of the help...the pictures, links, etc
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

That's pretty creative:D
    I've got one or two that spin but I can still get the filter out easily enough that I don't worry about them.
  11. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Thank you. :D

Tarsky, there must be some problem with your account: your reply was written before RDTCU's reply, but it appeared later.
  12. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    for some reason, every post of mine gets held up for a moderator to approve before it get's posted. Not sure why...shrug.

Update: Ok, so the 2 bolts that are spinning are at opposite corners of the box. Because of this, I cannot get a pair of pliers in there to hold the inserts. I've also tried to spin the bolts and inserts with an impact wrench to try to melt the plastic as was suggested...to no avail. At this point, I think my next step if to try to remove and replace the entire box and filter. Can the airbox be removed without opening it up?

Again, thanks for all of the help everyone!
  13. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    I get this message every time I post...

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

14. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

You've got a low post count, it will go away as you post more.
    This is to help cut down on spam
  15. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    ahh, ok. It is what it is :)
  16. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Yes, you have to:
    -remove the bolt which passes through the airbox and links it to the subframe,
    -remove the fastener which connects the airbox to the rubber fitting, or the one which connects the fitting to the throttle body,
    -remove the breather hose.

Haven't you tried to destroy the head of one of the screws? Maybe you would scratch the airbox, but since you would trash it anyway (I suppose) you could give that a try.
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Yeah the screws are dimpled, you could try drilling the head off gently
  18. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Be careful when drilling heads off bolts holding plastic parts together. Go slow so the drill bit and bolt dont get hot, or it will melt the plastic into a mess.
  19. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    HERE AN FYI FOR EVERYBUDDY THAT DIMPLE MEANS SOMETHING... THAT IS A JIS SCREW JAPANESE INDUSTRIAL STANDARD AND SHOULD HAVE A SPECIAL DRIVER ITS NOT A REGULAR PHILLIPS ALL TOUGH THAT WORKS FINE IN MOST CASES GOOD LUCK FINDING THE DRIVER EVERY TOOL TRUCK DRIVER LOOKS AT ME LIKE IM ON CRACK ALL THE DRAWERS OF LITTLE METRIC SCREWS AT THE LOCAL HARDWARE STORE SAY JIS RIGHT ON THEM
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I think you might have misunderstood my post a bit...
    http://pi.roostin.com/images/items/large/BMH/BMH0011/X001-Y006.jpg