1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Headlight always on

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Zeke Contreras, May 23, 2019.

1. Zeke Contreras Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I have a new problem with my 2012 Husky TE310.
    The headlight will stay on even after the keys are removed from the ignition. On the dash, the bright lights indicator is on as well. Pressing the buttons on the left hand switch for the brights do nothing.
    I replaced my original head lamp with an LED one years ago and don't believe this is the problem.

Before this happened, the bike was blowing the main fuse and ruined a riding trip.
    I took the entire bike apart and only found the horn wire to be exposed. The screw that mounted it to the radiator had gone missing so it was dangling. It must have rubbed against the radiator to expose the wire.
    I also removed these after market auxiliary off road lights thinking it had something to do with it. On the first start, the brights indicator was not on and the headlight turned after I turned it off. I fired her up again this week to see if the everything was still okay including the main fuse issue. I rode in the neighborhood and stayed close with extra fuses in my pocket.
    The main fuse didn't blow, but the head lamp is staying on after i removed the keys. I had to unplug the headlamp for the time being.

I attached the electrical diagram to see if anybody can help me try a few things.

Attached Files:

2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    taillight too? I'd see if the DC relay (#12) is being powered or is faulty first. And you have a key, right? (13-14's are keyless). look at that also. (edit: oops, you mentioned a key... so take a look at the key switch)

good luck
    R_Little likes this.
  3. Zeke Contreras Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I ordered a new relay from motosport.com to see if I can swap out the DC relay as a test. It won't arrive until next week.

I checked and tail light is not staying on when the ignition is off like the main head lamp. I took it for a quick ride in the neighborhood and it didn't blow any fuses.

I was just messing with it by turning it off and back on several times and eventually the headlamp stayed off. I didn't take apart anything this time around so I'm not sure what's going on. Last time, I unplugged the headlamp from behind the light so the battery wouldn't drain before putting her back in the garage.

The brights indicator is still on the dash and the left hand controls don't help toggle it off. The left hand controls wiring goes underneath the gas tank. I feel like I have to follow that set of cables next.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    sounds like your high beam is being powered by something "else".

maybe start looking around that wire.
  5. Zeke Contreras Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I finally found the problem. I made time this week to empty the gas and remove the gas tank again. I only noticed the problem after I started to remove the tie wraps holding the wire bundles in place.
    A big bundle of wires was rubbing against the frame between the radiator. One wire is completely cut from the chaffing against the frame and I found another few wires with burns and even burned through the insulation.

I'm not sure how to treat the wires with the burnt insulation. I also need to protect the loom from chaffing against the frame so this doesn't happen again.

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah, italian huskys are noted wire-abusers. short looms, sharp corners (btw, check to see if the edge of the regulator is cutting into a loom).

congrats.

ps- repair: replace the wire (obviously), repair with heat shrink if possible, silicone or tape if not. remove the dirt & abrasives, try to give the harness some slack.