1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Harrow 100 Vinduro - end of July

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by suprize, Jul 9, 2014.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the Aussie (includes NZ) vintage mob are gearing up for the Harrow 100 Vinduro. this is a 2 day vintage (pre 85) fest with a jap vs euro theme for some high level sledging.

The course is 90 Km with a fuel stop and will be run as 1 loop on Saturday and 2 loops on the sunday.

1 loop finishers will get bronze, 2 silver and 3 loops finishers take home the gold!

I will be fronting the event on the WR 400 as part of the 100 club team (100 kicks to start the bike) the team is a mixed mash of XR 250, KDX 250 and the 400..

fun and games for all.

Unlike Andy who will be enjoying the delights of the French enduro scene and recording it on his "Box Brownie" I will endeavour to get some HD go pro footage up on the "riders in the scrub" youtube channel for all to see!

cheers
    86 400 XC likes this.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    very nice...jealous of the oz dedication to the old bikes. around here i just get puzzled looks from people.
  3. gday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    84KDX200,KTM125-85,250-85,85maico250
    Im on the 84 xc500 this year.
    this is my third harrow year , the highlight of vinduro calendar IMO
    Here's the link to the vid of 2012 on my old 490.
    http://bit.ly/1pzk09I
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    numbers at this stage are equal euro vs orientals....great fun for all ensured
  5. hoppy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR250 1982
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husky 701 & TE250 17
    Be great to do an event like this, shame you carnt use recreation registration.
    Could put some lights on my CR250.
  6. gday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    You can get a one event unregistered vehicle permit $50 , check out the VERI website .
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    If you wack some lights on the cr, join aa club like VERI, you can prob get a vintage red plate for it, ride them all. but a UVP is pretty simple, contact VERI and they can sign you up for a great weekend.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    just finished an extensive preparation for the vinduro, all loaded up and ready to go!:thumbsup:
    I cleaned the air filter, changed the gbox oil, tightened some bolts and the chain and she is ready to go! Havent even washed it (pretty clean). I will post up some footage on the "riders in the scrub" utube channel for all to see nxt week!

over a 100 pre entries so would expect a few more tomorrow which is excellent considering the registration angle required.:banana:

Ol mate has booked the only B&B in Harrow and we get to sit inside while everyone else is in their tents across the road:popcorn:

His payment for his excellent planning...he is riding a Hodaka thunderdog:eek: ...look it up!

cheers
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the big event has been run and won. Euros vs japan saw the Euros home by 1 point (it was very tongue in :D cheek).

the harrow river took some big scalps even claiming the club pres twice! (I rode around to the bridge after a narrow escape on Saturday).

there was a nice roll up of huskies, an 84 240 wr, my 400, a wr 500 and two xc 500's and three auto's.

other exotica were a brace of very nice swoom 250's, a nice six days ossa 350, several very nicely presented katos including a 78 which was still with its original owner! A couple of Maico's and a squillion PE's. XR's and KDX's and IT's and a hodaka thunderdog......

the teams event was won by the Tolmie "Beards" on a triumph 650, xl 250 motosport and a xr. The low exhaust on the triumph caused issues in the river:eek: it made a fine stream cleaner when it fired up again!!.

the course was a combination of muddy river and swamp areas and rolling green hills with some sandy ferny tight stuff thrown in. Seriously goopy mud holes developed(I had a close look at one) and these took some skill in picking the right line along with a healthy right hand to get through.

the final river crossing took plenty of scalps with a few big rocks in the sandy river bed taking unsuspecting punters for a swim.

all in all a great weekend!!! (everything hurts!)

130 bikes in total
    justintendo and WayneL like this.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    a couple of pics for the team.... P7260001.JPG P7260007.JPG
    a very sweet SWM...its his "rider"..the good one is in the shed....:cool:
    P7260004.JPG
    Ryan Dews 430...was his fathers... just had a biiig birthday with a new slug, fork seals and some plastics...its fast! althoughatone stage it looked like the exon valdez...low in the water:D P7260026.JPG
    the shorter guy in the background is Jimbo (mr husky) and his bike is the very nice wr 500 in the middle. the tall guy I don't know his name but he has had that green tank auto for years....30 + years

This was on the Saturday before the first loop.....they didn't look like that again!
    86 400 XC and WayneL like this.
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    P7260027.JPG
    lovely Ossa 6 Days...in the 350cc variant
    P7260010.JPG
    A brace of PE's followed by....
    P7260019.JPG

A mob of IT's .....always immaculately turned out.

just a run through of a few of the bikes there....
    oldbikedude and WayneL like this.
  12. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I feel the same way.....I know we're all about Husky here but still love the old Japanese bikes (probably because those were the bikes I drooled over as a kid). Great pictures :thumbsup:
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ive got some go pro to sort through so it will be up on the "riders in the scrub" utube channel soon:thumbsup:
  14. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    just a further note... on the Saturday nite the main group running this event (VERI) had their annual general meeting and asked for suggestions and issues from the punters on hand... on question was put up that was interesting and that was " would VERI consider running a competitive Vinduro? the resounding vote was NO!
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    well, just thought I had better go over the 400 after the Harrow event and it has taken a toll.

3 teeth missing rear sprocket,

chain roller tensioner...gone, bolt and inner races left???

chain guide rollers as good as gone

and the muffler bolt was near off.

the circlips holding the spring rider spacer thingy on one of the ohlins have failed and its half off the shocker.

back hub and brakes were yeeech even had sand in there...but cleaned up ok. pivot was shiny metal dry.

front brakes were dry as a bone and clean? woo hoo.

greased and reassembled, replaced the rear sprocket with 2nd handy as I will get a few more rides out of this set. (plan a top end rebuild over summer and will wack a new set on then....)

so its been a little tough on the old girl...stuck in a bog and a super man landing from a huuuge down hill ski jump has caused all the damage....she has never hit "bottom" at both ends like that before....:eek:
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    sometimes the bearings get sticky or seized and the roller starts spinning faster than the bearings and ends up sliding off...that or a hard load put on them over a long period of time will pull them off..all those rollers have the same bearings so i keep a decent stock of them. i reuse the outer roller as long as the bearings fit snug in them..
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    they were brand new...my guess is the flat landing straightened the chain so quick it shattered the roller and thechain did the rest over the next 150Kms:eek:
  18. gday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300