1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Hard-starting 1977 360WR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by KIM750, Oct 22, 2016.

1. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    I just got the 360WR (Mikuni) and a 1974 250WR (Bing). The 250 has been easy--press the tickler for a few seconds, and a few kicks and she fires.

The previous owner warned me that the 360 was hard to start. He got rid of it and another big bore Husky because he was 68 or so years old, and just didn't want to deal with starting them anymore. Well, first time I started the 360, I just put the enrichment lever on the Mikuni down, no throttle, and she started right up after a few kicks.

I tried to start her after a few weeks, and I can't get her to run. I have good spark, fresh fuel, and I've read the threads on starting a big bore. I laid her over for 5 seconds on each side, tried/thought I had TDC, and kicked her over no throttle and enrichment lever down. She just won't start. There's fuel in the cylinder--I can see a little leaking out from the exhaust port/expansion chamber joint. I've now kicked her over with the lever down/throttle closed, lever up/throttle closed, lever up throttle open, lever down/throttle open. I'm pretty frustrated.

Any help?
  2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    The engine will be flooded, probably passing fuel through the tap as well when stood, might pay to take the tank off turn the bike upside down and turn the engine over over to clear all the Stale fuel.
  4. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    You're right. I drained the carb, pulled the plug, kicked her a bunch of times to get some/most of the excess fuel out, and after a bunch of kicks holding the throttle open she fired and ran great. Thanks.
    stormer254 likes this.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    my bike does that all the time. just hold er flat and kick the shit out of it.. it will fire up slowly and then throw all the fuel out the pipe all over the monet in the corner of the garage...be warned:eek: