1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Handlebars?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by KIM750, Feb 28, 2018.

1. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    I got out on my 1977 WR 360 for the first time in a motorsports/trail place and had a ball. First time in about 38 years that I raced around, and it was just great. Plus, I got a chance to try a couple of newer bikes that had handlebars that seemed considerably narrow. Later in the day, I laid the Husky down and bent the left side of chrome steel 7/8" bars. I plan on taking them off and trying to bend them back, but was wondering if anybody tried newer, narrower bars and what the result was. It looks like pro taper and Puig both have 7/8" bars that are narrower. Anybody try these?
  2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Choosing handle bar widths and heights is a very personal preference. What one guy likes another may hate. I personally do not like narrower bars on the vintage bikes as it makes the steering to me feel very "twitchy" for a lack of better terms. It really comes down to experimenting to fit what works best for you.

Marty
    moto_surfer likes this.
  3. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    Find a cheap steel bar with the rise you like and take a hacksaw to the ends...if you don't like it your only out a couple of bucks ($25-30?) ...if you do like it buy a good aluminum bar and cut it to the same width...like Marty said it all personal preference...
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I haven’t seen too many used husky bikes with straight bars, they all been tweeted. Those small double tree trunks come in handy to make the bars rideable till we replace them. I just find it funny you mentioned bent bars.
  5. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    I realize its not the best question, but thought I'd ask. What I was really getting at was that the forks and suspension on the 77 Husky are considerably different than the newer KTM, RM, and CR that I tried out. The difference in fork tubes is pretty striking. I was a little concerned about the twitchy part that Marty mentioned. I'm going to bend these back (Kustom by Krash), and cut a little off. Thanks for the advice. The narrow bars felt weird to me anyway, but in a couple spots in the woods it'd have been nice to be a few inches narrower.
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Actually I think the stock chrome moly handlebars especially with the rubber mounting are pretty hard to bend. The bars on that bike in my avatar are on the other hand real easy to bend and straighten. I use the stock bars and the stock length. Perhaps cutting 3/4 inch off each end is normal for woods riders? From a safety aspect the fat bar at the clamp and no cross bar is better. Both types probably should have a pad or padding on the part you might hit with your chin or other part of body.

A whole lot of stuff is more rigid on the modern bikes. Not sure about twitchy but even the 40mm forks of this section flex around hitting rocks and the like. The frame and swingarm are more flexible as well compared to a new bike. Now they are tuning the vertical vs horizontal stiffness of the swingarm as these bikes have a round tube.
    steadydirt likes this.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    wait... what!!?

when I quit racing in '73, I'd go through 2-3 pairs of steel 36" bars a season. Not too long afterwards (mid-80's maybe?) aluminum bars moved to the forefront... and nobody (nobody) had any problems again. AFAIK, nobody bends bars back into shape like we used to with steel; and usually you don't have to.

modern bars (hah- 35 years old) are stronger, more comfortable, (skinnier! I run ~30"), flexible, and w-a-a-a-a-y more robust. I've always liked 7/8" over fatbars- and good to see the swing back to these about 10 years ago, but either one will last many, many huge get-offs.

so the last time you rode dirt bikes Carter was president?? you're gonna love the new stuff. Just wait until you try disc brakes. or modern suspension.
    steadydirt likes this.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i like the 80s bend husky used. those bars are tough to bend. if you guys are bending those, you have more problems than just bars! im sure aftermarket ones bend easy.
    steadydirt likes this.
  9. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    so true
    the old bars were very tough. and stiff. using fatty's now feeling less chatter.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I use the bars if there bend a little it adds character to the bike.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    or makes it pretty lame...you like bent levers too?
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    growing up my buddy had a kdx with renthals..those seemed to bend pretty good dumping the bike in first or second gear. they sure looked cooler than the cro-mo black swede bars. after awhile i gave him a set for his kaw and after trimming them a bit he really liked them. no more bending problems...

i guess you are probably right about the steel bars maybe not absorbing much...i do find them comfortable.
  13. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    The original poster has a 77 360WR. They do not have rubber mounts. The handle bar clamps are bolted directly to the steel top triple clamp. I don't think even aluminum bars are going to stop the vibration or "chatter" felt in the bars. Ask me how I know.

Marty
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  14. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    My favorite bar for the older husky's: Renthal Vintage Desert 666-02.

TR-800549AB.jpg
    SA63 and motorick like this.
  15. KIM750 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 360WR 1974 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati M750
    It was a lot harder to bend the bars back than it was to bend them, so I ordered a set of Renthal Vintage High bars. They're close to the same specs as what I have, which have been fine. Thanks for all the replies.