1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Guts seat foam install

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DougW, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DougW Husqvarna
    AA Class

So that rock hard TE310 seat had to go. So I ordered a Guts racing soft seat foam.
    [IMG]
    The white foam is the new seat.I could not tell any difference in the cut of the foam.

[IMG]
    You will have to remove the seat attachment hardware which was easy to get off with a large straight edge screwdriver. Just pop off the plastic washer on the bottom side of the seat.
    [IMG]
    What I did here was to remove all the staples except the front lip. Before removing the staples though, I took a red sharpie marker and traced around the seat cover. This gave me a guide where to re-staple the cover to without making the cover too tight or loose. In the end it helped a lot.
    In the above picture you can see the sticky glue that was on the seat. I left it because it would hold the seat cover pretty good while I stapled the cover back on.

[IMG]
    I ended up using a hand stapler that worked well with 3/8" staples. Every so often I would end up with a staple that didn't sit right. After adding other staples I went back and replaced those so they all ended up flush.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

The finished seat back on the bike, you can't even tell. With the stock foam I could just touch my toes to the ground while sitting on the bike. With the new foam, I can now touch the ground flat footed. Thankfully, I could not feel the seat pan at all, which was a concern at first. So time will tell if that changes though. Hopefully the foam won't break down.

Cheers
    Doug
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    thats a better idea than cutting down the seat - for shorties
  3. DavidB Husqvarna
    A Class

Doug is a moron. That seat cover has more wrinkles than my grandmother!!! Nice job Doug. Really. I did the Seat Concepts with about a one inch step to lower the seat. Also went to softer foam. I like it. No it doesn't look as nice as Doug's but it works. I didn't take the time on the seat. For $25 you can get an air stapler from Harbor Freight. Doug has more money than god but uses a manual stapler!!! Kidding Doug. But seriously do you have your maid iron your pants and jersey? Be well Doug. Hope to meet you in person soon and go for a ride.
  4. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    just looking for some feedback on the soft seat foam. is it too soft or just right? does it feel like your sitting on the seat pan? i am thinking about getting a new seat from guts racing but don't know what foam density to get, soft or medium. i know that there is no way i'm going with the stock hardness.
    i'm also thinking about getting the taller seat as well.
  5. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I got the medium from Guts. Think I should have gotten the soft. 195 lbs. 6'
  6. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    I am getting ready to do my '02 CR/WR250 seat. Just trying to decide to ship it off to Seat Concepts or order the Guts foam and cover. With freight, and stapler costs, it seems to be a wash.

Is the seat foam glued to the seat pan?
  7. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510

i'm contemplating the same thing. got a quote from seat concepts for $225 for them to do my seat. and its probably about $80 or more cheaper to get it from guts racing and do it myself.
    i don't mind doing the work but am wondering which seat is a better seat.
    all i'm looking for is a taller and softer seat.
  8. Tessier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Very interesting and great write up Doug! I just have one question, what the hell are you guy's doing sitting on the seat? My dad took me seat away :oldman: because I was riding lazy and sitting now I only find my self sitting for small road sections. I found everyone looked at me like I was crazy standing while on the road. But I guess if I was doing 200+ mile day's I would want a different seat (and a different bike).
  9. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    i guess you can call me a lazy rider then. i've been riding on road bikes for over 10 years so thats all i've been accustomed to. i'm trying to get used to stand up riding but being tall, it just feels awkard at times.
  10. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    As a tall person get some bar risers it will help. Standing up gives you more control. I'm much faster at times when standing.
  11. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    yeah i already have rox risers on my bike. its just i'm learning to ride standing up and it just feels awkard. i've only been riding off road on 2 wheels for under a year so i'm still green.
    there's definately been some improvement in standing but my comfort level is higher while seated. i really need to take a good offroad riding school and learn the basics of riding off road.
    i think my downfall was growing up on a 4 wheeler. been riding them since the age of 9 and its a totally different animal when on 2 wheels.
  12. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Work on brake control , when you are comfortable sliding the bike while using both brakes it will help make the transition to standing easier.... Easier on your lower back standing
  13. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    i feel like my problem is more throttle control. definately not as controlled when standing
  14. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Same for me, Ive already got 1 inch risers but I think I need more.

15. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
  16. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    those look good!
    So are you looking at 3 inches total?

Sorry for robbing thread!
  17. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I would be looking at 3" total if I were to go with the Rox
  18. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    That might do it for me, Im 6'1" have to check my cables when I get home.
  19. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I just ordered some Scotts 1.25" bar riser blocks so I will have 2.25 total... Wasn't to bad with just 1" rise and stock bars, if it's not enouph I will buy taller bars ! I'm 6'2" and looking for taller seat foam now ! Ha ha
  20. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    i've got the 2 inch rox risers and i wouldn't be able to go any higher without changing the cables. depending on which bike you have, you may need to get longer cables if you get the 3 inches.

heres my setup

[IMG]