Great Tablet for iBeat

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Cavery, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    I just picked up an HP Stream 7 from the Microsoft store with the hope of using it specifically for ibeat. I just tested it out and it worked perfectly, so I thought I'd share.

The HP Stream 7 is a 7" Windows Tablet that has a full featured version Windows 8.1 installed. Ultimately, you have a full windows computer in the palm of your hands, literally. One bonus, from an ibeat point of view, is that is comes with a 32-bit version of windows 8.1, so no virtual machine required.

This tablet is a great little unit, and it fits in my back jeans pocket, so it's very portable for using in the field.

For ibeat you will need:

1. tablet
    2. ibeat cable (I used the amazon unit talked about in the Ibeat thread)
    3. ibeat software
    4. USB micro to USB adapter (tablet does not have a standard USB port)
    If you want you could pick up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for navigation, but for my purposes, the touch screen worked great in ibeat.

If you've got bad eyesight, you may find the screen a tad small, but for most it should be fine.

Here's some links with info about the tablet. It can be had for less than $100, and it comes with a free year of Microsoft office 365 which costs $70 on it's own. You also get a $25 gift card for the app store if you buy it the Microsoft store. Not a bad deal! with the freebies, it's like getting the tablet for $5. :)

Ibeat aside, it's a great little tablet for watching media, surfing the web & email. For $100 you can't go wrong.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tablet Info

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781500

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/tablets/hp-stream-7-tablet---5701

USB OTG adapter options (I'd recommend a 90 degree adapter)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=usb+micro+to+usb&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Ausb+micro+to+usb

WP_20150704_14_11_05_Pro.jpg WP_20150704_14_32_05_Pro.jpg
    BobPS, blackscrunner, Tinken and 5 others like this.
  2. eddychecker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TCX250 & 2013 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM 450XCW
    Nice work Cavery!
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
  4. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    A little update. It seems that the Microsoft Store may have just discontinued the Tablet listed above, but they may still have stock, so it wouldn't hurt to check your local store. It has been replaced with this model.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781600

Essentially the same tablet with a slightly larger screen for $149. Not quite as good a deal at $79 for the Stream 7 though.
    Thumperama and ray_ray like this.
  5. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    I just picked up one of the Stream 8 tablets on sale. iBeat downloaded and installed super easy. I like the slightly bigger screen and the free 4G connectivity for the life of the tablet. This will be great for tuning tweaks in the field.
    BobPS, Cavery and ray_ray like this.
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I was about to buy one but was not sure with 1 meg of ram how well it may run some applications and if the resolution was adequate for running Dynojet software as one could take a tablet on the trail in the pack or just replace the heavy laptop for simple adjustments at the van. The prices are compelling. Also had wondered if the newer device is tested/ready for Windows 10 on release.

As far as that free data deal..... I'd turn it off since mistakenly view one video or upload an large photo, when off wifi a few too many times, and upcharge! 200 meg is borderline useful.
  7. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    I brought the tablet to the trails with me today for a field test, and it worked great. I've read pages and pages of threads about tuning with ibeat, but this was my first time trying it myself. The tablet worked perfectly. One setting I did change was the text size. The default for the tablet in the display properties it 125% for scaling. At that size, the bottom most portion of ibeat was getting cut off. I set it to 100% and it fit the screen perfectly.

I thought my bike was performing fine (2010 TXC 250). But at the suggestion of some people here I bumped up the C01 & C02 values because I installed an FMF 4.1 setup. Holy Crap! The bike now pulls the same in 2nd as it did in 1st before the tweak. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow to see what I can get out of her.
    Alberto and Thumperama like this.
  8. domrvt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 CT90, 1982 NU50M
    Thanks for posting, I just picked one up online. Seems to be going in and out of stock.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  10. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Yeah, I think most of the companies are getting ready to release their Windows 10 tablets & computers. I'm sure HP will have something comparable when the windows 10 machines ship. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty confident that as long as you are running 32-bit, windows 10 will work with iBeat as well. I'm hoping to test it out very soon.
  11. aethelred Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought Ibeat needs windows XP?
  12. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    No, I can confirm that it will work on windows 8 & 10. The big factor is 32-bit or 64-bit. It seems to work great on any 32-bit version of Windows. If you have a 64-bit os installed, you are out of luck. The great thing is, most of these small windows tablets come with 32-bit Windows by default.

I just upgraded my second dell tablet (Dell Venue 8 pro) to 32-bit windows 10, and ibeat seems to run fine on it as well.
    ray_ray likes this.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It will work with a powercommander too. A lot cheaper than a POD.
  14. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Where and how did you downloaded the software?
  15. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
  16. blackscrunner Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250, 955i, SY175F, TTR125LE, TW200
    I am hoping you can provide a little info on your OBD2 adapter that looks like you've made it. I've been reading through the threads on iBeat and I have collected most of what I need (ibeat, drivers, instructions, vag-com amazon cable) but I still need to make an adapter to go from the vag obd2 cable to the bike (2012 te250). I wonder if you would mind sharing your source and instructions for assembly for that adapter cable? Thanks in advance!

17. Cavery Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    blackscrunner likes this.
  18. blackscrunner Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks! That's just what I needed. I found these on amazon (more money but 2 day shipping rather than waiting for weeks for China delivery) I'll have to cut the obd2 cable...hoping this works I'm trying to get my te250 running like I know it should!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A35X5TBOL8607M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A16MME1054XZ3C

19. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Thanks Cavery :thumbsup:

Good to know that I can use a tablet for iBeat... I don't have a laptop, only macbook and a PC with windows 7 and fortunately 32-bit. I had to carry my PC to the garage the other day to hook it to the bike .... The PC is it's a bit heavy to carry ... :D

Thumperama, thanks that you mentioned Stream 8. Stream 8 is the one that I can get and the one that I'm going to get... cause stream 7 is not available here.

There are other brands of tablet, but it looks like Stream 8 has the lowest price.
  20. blackscrunner Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    So i made the adapter cable, confirmed all connections, installed ibeat, plugged everything in and I get "communication stops" message. Com is set to 1 per tablet info. I did not install any drivers (disc comes with vag com, but no cd drive on tablet obviously) was going to install disc on desktop and copy but small cd will not work in the side insert drive. Have the ibeat drivers but no idea how to install them. Tried clicking on all the files and get asked which app I'd like to use to open these files (I have no idea about this). I've gotta be close to getting this thing working and could really use some advice. I double checked that I followed the wiring instructions to a T found in "alternatie ibeat cable" thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated...would really like to get this bike running well! Thanks in advance!