1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Gold or Black Forks on 1978 390 WR?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Tonyp884, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Tonyp884 Husqvarna
    B Class

I just bought a well used 1978 Husky 390 WR. Frame # ML29875 Engine # 2062 0235. The bike came with a set of black fork mounted and an additional set of Gold forks. Which forks are correct for this bike? If needed, I will take photos.
    Thanks,
    Tony P
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Black was standard from early 70's untilt the early 80's. I think the gold forks came out in 1980 or 1981
  3. Charley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 400 EXC, KRM 530 XC-w
    The black ones are correct. If you check the gold forks they may be 40mm which came out in the early 80s. The stock fork for your 78 would be a 35mm tube
  4. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

40mm fork are for long on a 78. 78's have 9.5" travel, 40mm CR forks have 11.8" and 40mm WR forks have 10.6" travel. WR's work well on a 79, but CR's will raise the front of the bike to high. Here's my 79 with WR's. I painted them black.
    Ron

Joe\'s 390 Ready to Race 005.jpg
  5. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Yes, the black forks are correct for a 78 390WR. My WR is still very original and still has the black forks. There was less travel on the WR front end too. Does your bike still have the original rear swingarm ? Very short, and has the adjusters in front of the axle, and not behind like the CR's and later models.
  6. Tonyp884 Husqvarna
    B Class

Yes, my bike has the original swingarm. So I guess I may sell the 40mm forks since they will not fit my WR. I am also going to remove the VDO Speedometer (needle has fallen off), headlight assembly and tail light, and sell them too. Ron, I like the look with yellow plates, I hope to have mine looking as nice as yours before spring. But, next on the list is to repair Motoplat, this thing has a new top end and it's a BEAR to start!
  7. Tonyp884 Husqvarna
    B Class

Ron, my WR has Gold Wheels that could use restoring. Were the Gold Wheels original on the late 1978 WR 390?
    Tony p
  8. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, gold rims started showing up in 78. Mine were in really bad shape, so I re-laced some rims I took off another bike a few years ago and laced them up for my bike.
    If you can't tell, I used an 18" on the back versus the stock 17".
    Here's a before pic.
    Ron

IMAGE_144.jpg
  9. Charley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ron, that rear fender looks like it came off an 81 or later..was the frame bobbed for it? Nice looking bike by the way.
  10. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 79 MN series CR frames have the rear loop cut off and the fender mounts to the bottom of the seat.
    It also has a small inner fender. You can see it where the reservoir hose goes under the seat on the before picture.
    The fender I used is for an 84/85 I think. I cut the front half off and mounted it to the seat.
    I also have a 81 swingarm on the bike and it has the out-board lower shock mounts. It's about 1-1/2" longer than a stock 79 swingarm.
    BTW, the Ohlins I mentioned are 17" eye to eye.
  11. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    The gold rims on the 78's were painted. I am sure there is a thread on here somewhere relating to that. Mine still have 90% of the original paint on them, but finding 17" road legal enduro tyres here in the UK is becoming a pain. I am reluctant to go to a 18" rear as it won't match the front.
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you want to run the 40mm forks you only need to get a 40mm triple clamp set. They are on eBay most all of the time. Long 35mm forks are like spaghetti if you ride it hard I have heard and your;s are much higher than the 78 390 auto I used to have. I would be intersted in the speedo, drive, and lights. Set a price and I will seriously consider it.
  13. 2T_vs_4T Husqvarna
    AA Class

Does any one know the paint code or RAL for the Gold color used on the Fork Legs of the '82 bikes.
    If I have the code or RAL, I can try and match it to a paint color that is available in Australia.
    Sometimes it just happens to be too difficult to get some things from overseas or so they say.
    Cheers 2T_vs_4T.
  14. HuskyT Moderator

Ron... can you post up some information on the custom chain guide you have on this bike. maybe some detail photos???

Thanks, Tim
  15. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Tim,
    My brother and I came up with these, hoping to make something a little better. We also made a stainless steel chain tensioner arm with delrin roller wheels and sealed bearings.
    My brother sells these on Ebay and Marks Vintage Swapmeet www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi

FOR SALE
    Ad # 3187089 January 5, 2012

Double Roller Chain Guide for all 79-84 Husqvarna's except 81-82 WR's. I make these in my garage from 6061 Aluminum. The rollers are made from Oil-Filled UHMW and run on SAE 863 Bronze Bushings. The hanger is slotted for height adjustment and washers are provided to get your chain centered within .050". All Stainless Steel hardware. $50.00 ea.

80-84 Chain Tension Arm and Upper Idler wheel. The arm is made out of Stainless Steel and drilled for weight. Both wheels are the same UHMW as my chain guides and run on precision ball bearings. The tension arm can be purchased separately for $35.00, and both parts together are $50.00.

Stainless Steel Brake Stay for all 80-84 models except CR's. You won't be bending this one with your hands. $35.00

FREE countersunk shock washers, 2 or 4, with every purchase while supplies last. But you're on your own for the mounting screws.

Domestic shipping 5.00. Int'l 10.00. Free domestic shipping on all combined orders. Int'l combined orders still just 10.00.

Bill Watson
    Hesperia, CA
    Email
    Registered Since 5/28/2007 | 12 Posts
    Accepts: Pay Pal
    [IMG]
    Click to Enlarge

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  16. Tonyp884 Husqvarna
    B Class

I have no idea what a fair price would be for the speedo, drive, speedo cable, and head and tail lights. I assume that I will need a spacer of some sort to take up the space that will be created when I remove the speedo drive? I'd be happy to remove the WR rear fender and tail light and install a CR style rear fender.
    Tony P
  17. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would be willing to pay $80 plus shipping since the speedo needs repair. Let me know what you think
  18. Charley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ron, very nice parts you and your brother make there. Will the tensioner fit on my 79? Or do I need to change out my swinging arm to a later one? The chain guide is something I will definitely be wanting to get. Thanks for the info.
  19. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Charley,
    The tensioner arm and wheel fit the 79 swingarm no problem, just be sure to specify you have a 79 when you order. The hangar bracket hole spacing, is slightly different on yours.
    Ron
  20. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Ron, bike looks great! I am fitting some forks off a 1987 WR to my 390 and would like to ask what front axle set up you have used? I am using the original single leading shoe front brake. Does the original 1979/1980 front axle work ok with these forks? Thanks

I have also painted my forks black by the way.