1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Glen Helen DNS,,,sight glass shattered

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by robertaccio, Sep 28, 2008.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Some of you have mentioned the sight glass being a little over exposed,,unless you have an Up-Tite skid plate (large coverage). Mine is the smaller CRD (modified)

well I went out on the sighting/practice lap, bike felt and sounded strange as I was nearing the end of lap. Came back to pits as normal and did the once over of the bike,,,,oil on my boot and oil all down the side of the bike. Sight Glass shattered,,,, was going to to the JB weld thing with help from Ajax. But decided the risk was too high. Called it a day and watched HuskyT (TC450), Ajaxauto (CR125) and Chip(HonCRF450) do their (my) race I think Lairpost did a plexi over/outer cover on top of it.
    The layout of the course and prep were at level 9.7 out of ten,,just an epic course,,I am bummed to miss the race/ride. If this break happened during the race my motor would be a boat anchor an expensive boat anchor, so I feel OK about the issue, Grazie Dio.
    PS 260 miles round trip........ SRA gave me a voucher for another race on this entry fee, that is a good org. to do that!! Thanks SRA, Robertaccio

PPS new rubber for the Wick national,,plus Mr LTR will perform his magic on the machine prior to the Wick.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Rob,
    Sorry for the trouble and missed race. I'm glad you didn't toast your engine.
    Norman
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Norm,, that it happened on the test lap is a blessing!! there was still quite a bit of oil in the lower case below the sight glass. So hopefully the pump didn't cavitate too badly. Also its another bullet proofing test issue for real deal on Oct 19!! I will shoot a couple of fotos. R

did i mention how nice the track was......
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Did John mention how his CR125 doesn't have a sight glass.......:busted:
  5. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry to hear, you need one of my plexiglas covers, I've remade it without the hole in the center, won't stop every rock but I hope will help, along with George's skid plate. I may remake out of 1/32 stainless with 3 slots to view the oil, no rock would get through it.

[IMG]
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nice! No brake snake?
    Norman
  7. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah, hadn't put it on yet, I made that too out of an old mountain bike brake cable.

Here's a current pic with the holeless sight glass protector and my handmade stainless side covers. I thought about cutting an H but it was just beyond my tools.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. HuskyT Moderator

Sorry for the bad luck Rob! Must have been one hell of a shot to take it out... it was absolutely toasted..... shattered and 25% missing.... must have been a Marine that launched it at you!

To say you missed an amazing track is an understatement........ this track was fun! 5 laps Rob! + 2 practice.... my old '05 TC450 just keeps rewarding me everytime I ride it!...

I pulled my line on the holeshot until I just plain ran out of gearing and let three CRF's take me at the apex of the first turn....... I may have to change my gearing to alleviate this conclusive holeshot..... I am tasting it brother!

Get that bike fixed and we'll see you in November.

T
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    you came out of talladega in solid 4th,,into the down hill side. Good show on the start!! There were alot of riders on your line!!! Yep Nov that's the plan.
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Wow! Nice work!:thumbsup:

I, too, am sorry to hear about your pre-race troubles, Robertaccio.
    I can certainly relate; I once drove from the SF Bay Area to the Wickenberg national in AZ and got a big fat DNS for my troubles. In over 20 years of riding I've never heard of anyone ever blowing a rear brake caliper seal. 24 hours of driving for nothing...:banghead:

Hope you're back in the saddle soon!

WoodsChick
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    dang that had to hurt....must not have been a Brembo????????

Hey I got one lap in ! The course was really good and well prepped. The Wick is next
    I may just put a metal disc in the sight glass spot. I change and keep up with my oil enough to go blind, as I did on my 04 and my 06.
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Nope, it was the stock Hebo unit. Try finding a seal for that on a Saturday morning in rural Arizona:rolleyes: It now sports a front AJP caliper (just flipped it around and bolted it right up) from a GG trials bike and works 1000% better.

I view a sight glass as a luxury on a dirt bike (all my streetbikes have them) and would be perfectly comfortable running a dirtbike without one.

WoodsChick
  13. TripleW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your best bet for that Hebo rear caliper would have been Hard Rock Trials in Phoenix. TW
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    pulled sight glass assy. diassembled by bending the rear crimped portion out with needle noses, removed all remaining glass shards, assy is made up of seal/race assy, Glass lens, soft metal washer (cushion/spacer), rear disc with 4 oil holes.
    I think I am going to eliminate the sight glass, by installing .060 disc of 7075-T6 al in the place of the lens (.108 thickness). I think the crimp portion will bend in enough to close the thickness gap. I will use 3 bond 1211 liberally on the assy. After it fully hardens I will press fit the assy back into the case. and reintall the retaining arm. I have also contacted local glaziers to see what they may be able to do for a hi temp/tempered glass disc measuring 1.25" dia by .108" thick.
    Oh yea I all ready ordered the new part 8000 73529 table 10 item 10 from GP.
  15. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    See if you can get a rubber expansion plug (freeze plug) the right size you can chuck in yer pack 'just in case'...... (I've seen 'em in pretty small sizes)

Glass anything on a dirtbike = Yikes! to me. Plug and weld that sucker up.
  16. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Would replacing it with lexan be an option?
  17. rajobigguy Administrator

Robert check with McMaster Carr.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/
    Look up Borosilicate Glass and site glasses.
    You might get some good ideas .
  18. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is what I was thinking about using. But it would depend on what the temp of the oil is. The Lexan would be good for 240 degrees extended use, but I would be more comfortable at 220 degrees for extended use. If the temp of the oil will be compatable with the Lexan, I can get a sheet and cut a bunch of these up for thread members. Does anyone know what the oil temp runs?
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Maybe you could put a brake bleed fitting in the middle of it to check the oil level :lol:
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    wasn't that really done before the sight glass?? Yeah it was,,,I know two steps back!!!