Glamis - Who Rides There?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Fast1, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Who rides Glamis sand dunes with their bike?

Was thinking about paddling up the rear of my TE510 for some sand slinging this winter.

some photos I took during my last trip there...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Wow that looks nutty. If i had the money, that truck in the last pic would be my other toy.
    :D:D:D:D:D
  3. rajobigguy Administrator

Used to ride there all the time with the 250 and 500 2ts. Haven't had the chance to get the 610 out there yet but maybe before the season is over I might make one trip.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That's a little more open than the stuff I usually ride :D
  5. honard Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1956 BMW R50, 2014 BMW R1200GSW
    I grew up in Brawley (pitty me) 30 miles to the west of Glamis. You wanna talk hot. 120+ in the summer. Ughhhh. Glamis is just to crazy for me anymore. Too many people getting killed. Kind of reminds me of Mad Max at Thunderdome. In the 60's and 70's in was a lot of fun. Competition hill was a heck of lot steeper then and it really was a playground for the locals and a few thousand (1 - 2K) on the big winter weekends. Now it's common for there to be over a 100k people on a big weekend. No thank you.
  6. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

Plus one..last time I was there was probably 1986 ish.
    I still have vivid memories of swimming in the canal and having to dodge a dead bovine floater..ahh good times.:rolleyes:

It's way smaller now and ten times more crowded..makes for a bit of a carnage carnival..thank you greenies. Kill people..save Milk-vetch:mad:
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I saw a rail jump the canal down by Gordons Well last year.

You definately have to be cautious during the holiday weekends.

During the last three years I made it down to Glamis every major holiday weekend. I kept my YFZ on a trailer behind a sports car several miles from PHX Sky Harbor in a storage garage. It was still a 220 mile drive from PHX but when you live in the ice box during the winter months at temps below zero it was well worth it.
  8. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

Come ride Northern CA. It's like MN with hills and views!
    My family lives in Belle Plaine, Rochester and formerly Duluth. I know.
    Glamis is fun but there's stuff around here that will have people talking about it in ten years like we talk about Glamis now...RIP Clear Creek!!!. We are loosing riding areas..ride the last great ones before they are gone as well....just my .02
  9. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Glamis Smamis.. that place is way to crazy to go to. smaller than it used to be and way to fricken crowded with IDIOTS. I would rather stay home IMO. Even as a spectator to the carnage, its just not as nice an area anymore.
  10. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Glamis, what can anyone say about Glamis? Theres nothing else like it on the planet, and thats probably a good thing.

That dune field continues accross the border in Sonora, Mex. It goes on for 70 miles of the most remote countryside in the southwest. parts of it are still unexplored.

folks go to Glamis to see and be seen.

but for the best dune riding this side of the sahara, take water, friends, a gps, and head to the incredible Altar desert, just an hour south of glamis.
    It will blow your mind. litterally thousands of HUGE virgin dunes and nobody, not even one other person will be there.
  11. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

Road trip?

:D:D:D
  12. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I go every winter. Its otherworldly. It just blows my mind that Phoenix, San Diego, and LA are each 3-4 hours away, and yet the Altar desert is undiscovered to off roaders and the sand rail crowd. Just goes to show the Glamis crowd isnt there for the dunes, they are there for the freak show.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bought a KX500 as a dune bike a few years ago and have not taken it to the dunes yet :>) I like to ride the dunes once or twice a year at most.
    Tinken likes this.
  14. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you have any GPX. files of your rides? I'm assuming you must use one. I know that when riding from Test Hill off Highway 8 directly north to the Glamis store thru the center of Imperial via The Wall, then China wall and Olds I have to use mine.

Do you bring your own fuel or ride over and head south from Buttercup for a round trip? If you stay overnight south of the border what are the coordinates of your camp location? Any photos of the dunes south of the border?
  15. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Trying to get info on the Altar Dunes is really hard. Even on google there just isnt much, an expedition or two of Unimog guys, but they didnt get into the main dune areas.

I have been going there for Dakar practice for a few years now, and i have slowly explored and discovered stuff, and even a few others, who know the area. Most West Coast Dakar Rally guys go here to practice, not just how to ride in dunes, but to get comfortable being in a truly isolated place, etc.

Anway-heres what ya do:

Most guys will park their truck at Cesars Truck Stop on Mexico Hwy 2 about 8 miles east of San Luis and stage out of there, this is just south of Yuma, Arizona, maybe 40 minutes...its to far to ride from Buttercup via Algondon where some guys cross into mexico for lunch. Anyway- Cesar's son is a quad guy, and a rally fan, so if you can find him in the truck shop you can get good info, and maybe have him ride with you. He knows where the crashed airplane is and the lost trucks, and the cross, and other stuff, plus the biggest dunes. Just ask at Cesars for permission to park out back under the trees. Your rig will be safe, even for a few days. Also info is available from the Yuma 4x4 clubs-they put on an annual trip to the dunes.

Cesars is at:
    32 23' 42.04"N
    114 29' 30.18" W

Then ride due south of Cesars, cross country (its open desert) about 5 miles to the dunes, you can see them while you ride. Head to the first small dunes at:
    32 18' 19.26"N
    114 29'36.26"W
    This is the northern most fringe of a 70 mile long dune field!

Now plot these:
    1) El Golfo
    31 41'34.58"N
    114 22'17.71W
    This is a small nice seaside town with a couple hotels and a gas station, and restaurants and all that. Nice destination for the night.
    Also a place to summon help if need be.

2) Train Station (abandoned)
    It has water, and is on a junction with a paved road, and sometimes manned by friendly Mexican military with Hummers. They have a well and water, and they can be payed to rescue you or your buddy. Know this place on your GPS for safety. I had to re-route here once when we ran out of water. Its easy open desert cross country to get there, about 12-15 miles past the last, westernmost, dune. A true oasis.
    31 57' 36.91"N
    114 44' 36.46"W

3) Middle of the Dunes
    This is the middle of the main dune field and has some very large dunes.
    Use this waypoint to understand where you are in relation to the dune fields. Its also a good target if traversing the dunes from Cesars to El Golfo. A great all day trip, this would be half way, takes about 3-4 hours from Cesars to get here, and about that much more to reach El Golfo.
    32 02' 17.81" N
    114 29' 37.20"W

-----------
    SO here are some tips.
    1) its hot as hell in the summer. dont try it until early Oct. and dont go after May 1.
    2) expect 15 miles to the gallon fuel consumption. CARRY EXTRA! Its 5 or more (if you backtrack) gallons to cross the dunes from Cesars to El Golfo.
    3) DONT RIDE THIS AREA ALONE, AT ALL, EVER. Its too remote.
    4) Dont take a big heavy bike like a 610 or 650 unless you are an expert rider. 250/450/510 do great!
    5) Use a new rear tire, but not a paddle if you are crossing to El Golfo.
    6) Carry extra water, a second water bladder. You will very quickly see why when you enter the dunes. You must carry double water. Everyone who has ever ridden accross these dunes that i know of has run out of water (including me, twice!!), and some will not ride there anymore, it scared them (including Dakar Rally veterans!). Powerbars too. And consider a reflector glass, small binoculars, GPS and a satphone, and take my cell phone number, in case you are truly stuck and cant walk 30 miles up and down dune faces. Im serious. I will either tell you 'i told you so' or i will come get you ;)
    7) Consider taking 2 or more quadtards with you, for safety.
    8) dont even think about taking a 4x4 into this area. There are several at the bottom of 400' bowls, very slowly rusting away. Not even stripped!
    9) Try the menudo at Cesars. Its not bad. Kind of a fun gentlemans club in San Luis on your way home, if you want a cold beer. You will have earned it.
    10) Great riding down the beach south at El Golfo, and you can link up with dirt roads to Rocky Pointe and Kino Bay, etc. Some fun riding!

OK--There it is, the most thorough report about dirt biking the largest dune field in north america, anywhere on the internet. Respect this place, it will bite.
  16. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]

This cross on the western edge of the Altar dunes south of Cesars was put there to remember the murder of a journalist in nearby San Luis. He covered drug trafficking.

[IMG]
    Top of the dune looking for a way out. We bailed and headed for the train station, for water!
    All three guys here are Dakar Rally vets. There was a 4th guy, but he was on a 650r and couldnt make it up.
    Take a look down to the plains below, thats how steep this dune face was. From the bottom, a rider on top looked like a little ant. Just a black spec. Like riding down a 20 story building of steep sand!

These are probably the only Husqvarnas to ever ride Altar. At most there are 5-6 groups a year that ride bikes here.
  17. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Mike,

We gotta hook up sometime and check out those dunes in MX. I lived in MX for quite a while and an very comfortable traveling there and would love to go hit up some great riding spots like Altar.

For anyone thinking of dune riding that can't go south of the border, I would like to recomend dumont dunes. They aren't nearly as big as glamis, but on an off weekend you will be all by your self there. Big holiday weekends can be a bit crowded, but nothing like glamis. Went there for thanks giving a few years back. It is supposedly the busiest weekend of the year there and I never felt in danger. Watch what you are doing, thats for sure, but I never felt like I was gonna be killed by some idiot.
  18. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds good to me.

Since we are all about dunes-here is a pic from Dumont Dunes.
    [IMG]
  19. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great Info Mike

Thanks for all the info Mike.. It would certainly make a trip south of the line much easier knowing ahead of time what you have provided.

What gearing and tires/air pressure do you run in the dunes?

I also have to ask what is in the large pack you were wearing? Appears to be a tent on the side of the pack??

Glamis is not allways crowded and crazy.. I've been there mid-week and had the place to myself.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  20. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good eyes. I only sleep in tents. Had a sleeping bag, blow up pillow, air mattress, long story. That day ended at 3am after a hellish night of problems. Got lost. Ran out of gas. Got a flat. Overheated pulling the bike out of gas thru sand. 17 hours with the bike. It was harsh, but good training.

Gearing for bikes in sand is counterintuitive. The higher ya go the better. Less spin, less digging down, cooler running motor, better milage. I run 16-47 on my 510, works great.

Tire pressure is simple, as much as you can. Ya want the front tire super firm, and the rear run firm just to protect from pinch flats. At Dakar 20+lbs was common.

Remember, its not about traction so much as not getting stuck in a remote spot with a flat.

Also, the rear tires that have the least tall knobs work best. They dont dig down as much, and tend to have a wider footprint, even with lots of air. Most guys think a soft terrain MX tire like a S12 is the way to go, but its not, they just dig to much sand to fast and cut thru the top thin crust layer of the sand. Michelin Desert is a great choice for long haul sand dune exploration trips. Tires dont wear much in sand dunes.

This set up is for long distance dunes adventuring/rally.
    Very different than unloading the sand bikes and letting the paddle do its magic, never getting more than 10 miles from the truck.

Its good to have all this dune info in one place. Cool pics of Glamis on the quads! Lets see some pics from other dunes.