1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Gears - 3rd gears for the 80s models ? Demand?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by GaryM, Jan 28, 2016.

1. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    I have run into not finding too many 3rd gears out there for the 80s models.

If I had a few gears made for myself, I would like to gauge how much more demand
    their would be for more. Price is based on volume. I have already have shop ready to make some. 8 weeks lead time.

Looking at the 349 and and 363 gears used in mostly 430s and 500s but the 349s are
    also in the 250 wr s. Not expecting to much demand.

Or is their another gear I am not thinking about.

Used to work in OC in gear factory long time ago, so it would be fun to have some made.
    These would be cut on a hobber

May be wrong time of year to ask - as your garages are cold up north.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    would depend on price...i would be in for one or two perhaps..
  3. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    There are 5 complete 430 transmissions on eBay right now and I'd bet the most expensive is cheaper than a new gear.
  4. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this the gear that used to flake or break off and that Cagiva re-designed and fixed in '88 or '89?
    Or are you saying 3rd gear because it gets the most wear?
    I'm beginning a 87 250 rebuild and will be using the Cagiva fix once the crank and piston are sorted.
  5. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    We have all the gears...

Andy.
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Gary you are on the right track. If the gear faces are not pock marked the protrusions that key into that double gear are less than ideal in being an intact "peg". Just recently the site sponsor here from Oregon here I believe had a couple of transmissions on ebay, one from an 88 that I do not recall the price and one from the Italian bikes that would have the same gear for $200. I wrote to ask the condition of the gear in question (the 88 one) and did not really get an answer just told transmission not for a guy that would use the bike a lot. It is rare that ebay has a good enough picture of that gear or the seller will send a real picture or check and type on the keyboard. I went on a treasure hunt a couple of years ago cracking open lower ends, even one 250 looking for a gear I was satisfied with. How fussy about the double gear that one pegs into will vary from person to person. I doubt I would purchase one I did buy one complete transmission and the gear in the picture from Halls after my last assembly. The primary drive clutch double gear (starter+drive) and the third on the input shaft are right at the top of keeping these going.

I kind of think BMW got some entity to make them as I got this one during that era and no elephant pictures on the box. If you know how to approach whatever entity made them I could send it to you for testing to see if it is improved or not.

Are the ones (363) in the four stroke Italian bikes better as the post #4 might indicate? I think it was $110 for that gear and that may be with or without shipping not sure. It it totally NLA through Halls or others with their source at this point. For what it is worth there seems be improved parts that do not get a new number In the Italian era may apply to these bikes as well during that era.

Attached Files:

7. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Its the 3rd gear that get the most wear. See pic IMG_5129.jpg

Purchased four sets of used transmissions in last 1 ½ from and for eighties bike. All have bad 349s , three I emailed eBay with seller it saying its looks fine. They were not fine
    One was good. Prices will be very very good on new gears. Cutting the gears is very inexpensive. we would be paying for small production run and the set up is the expense. The machine would be down from mass production profits.

The ones you find in the 250 WR are in better shape for wear. Their was some issues with 349 gears that did or were not up to normal quality control in the 81s causing failures.

Not getting in gear business just filling a need I have first. Then sharing.

Have already determined that husky used a steel that was equal to US standard 8620. Oh yes it does look the way they machined and heat treated was improved in the mid eighties
    Cagiva years unknown.

At this time may only do the 349s first but if folks have interest will have the 363s done as same time. As the blanks from screw machine would be about the size before cutting on the hop machine.
    fran...k., Darrel78 and justintendo like this.
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I had no idea it was so hard to find a good used gear, I guess I have been lucky that all my bikes have no issues with it.
  9. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

82 had an issue that was allegedly due to improper heat treatment in manufacture. had mine fixed new by dealer back in the day. husky warrantied it. Thats what they told me anyhow.
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    backing up that the only gearbox problem I ever had was lost a tooth on 3rd on my 87 430
    hmm, interesting thread
    although I have a few spare sets laying around
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i have a few complete transmissions that appear nice other than a worn 3rd gear and dogs..i ve seen more of a tooth problem than dogs tho.
  12. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I shopped for a long time on ebay with lots of specific questions to sellers about condition issues. I finally found a nice set from someone who was willing to send more/better pictures of what I was asking about. Good thing I wasn't in a big hurry. I made out ok but it would be real easy to throw money at some very used parts if you were to be trusting of some sellers.
    Bodger likes this.
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    on the ebay subject
    be careful, I have had very bad luck recently and the support that was there originally does not exist anymore
    a lot of the sellers are really businesses acting as private sellers and have no ethics
    so if you can't get all the information and good pictures PASS on the item
    not saying all are bad,,,, just to beware
    Bodger, oldbikedude and justintendo like this.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    especially on an item like a transmission..who doesnt have the ability to take good pics? that being said the couple trans i have bought on ebay i have been lucky and when received have looked great.
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    :applause:
    " Prices will be very very good on new gears"

Some of them have pock mark like depressions on the tooth face and some have engagement part rounding. Not at all unusual to have one problem but the other issue is fine on that gear. Fourth the gear sizes are about equal. If you are going to ride up sand pit hills until exhausted it might be advisable to gear for fourth.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I purchased three complete gear sets just to have the extra parts.