Gear lever play...?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I recently spent 40 bucks on a replacement OEM gear lever for my bike because the old one got loose no matter how much I tightened it up.

To begin with the new one stayed tight, with about 1mm of play which was acceptable, but now it has loosened up to the point where it is just the same as the old one!

The only thing I can think of is the splines on the shifter shaft are worn out but they look okay to me, at least on the bits I can see.

I have tried using locktite on the bolt without any results.

Anyone got any ideas before I drop a tack weld on there?
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Is the "slit" in the shifter closing up tight when you tighten the bolt. Maybe you could open it up larger.

3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Yes it is completely closed, thought it was supposed to be to clamp around the shaft? Not sure I follow.
  4. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Dynobob is hitting at the fact that you might have to open up the slit a bit with a file, so that you can tighten the bolt a bit more.
    Kind of like filing the tip of new piston rings when they aren't quite to spec.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  5. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Oh yes I see now. But no I welded it in the end, it is better but still some play which is probably because of what you two mentioned about the gap.
  6. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would agree - if it is closing completely and not tightening sufficiently on the splines then will need the gap enlarged to allow the 'slop' to be taken out when tightening.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Aluminum shift levers wear at the splines sometimes to the extent that no amount of tightening or grinding makes them tight.

OTOH, I believe the stock 610 lever is steel and stays tight a long time.
  8. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

It is steel - but does need a good tightening. Also due to being steel if left loose will wear the output shaft with time.
  9. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I followed Dynobob's idea and used an angle grinder to widen up the slot in the clamp. Frustratingly I tack welded the gear lever to the shaft a couple of days before he posted and so I had to get the angle grinder in some rather awkward positions and also unfortunately took a few chunks out of the frame whilst doing so.

But it was worth it in the end when I got the lever back off and ground the slot wider. But I could have done the same thing with my old one if I only I realised. So stupid that Husky made them with an unsuitable clamp.
    DSCF0225.JPG
    Anyway the bolt tightens up nicely now with plenty of room to spare, but it keeps coming loose still.

I am going to try some red Loctite on the threads and if that doesn't work I'm outta ideas.
  10. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Your front sprocket looks pretty worn to me-notice the hooks on the teeth
  11. flynn_ Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    610sm
    I noticed that too, I'm just not sure what the point of replacing it is when it is still working okay. If the chain was slipping I would replace it though.
  12. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'd agree on the sprocket, and add that you may not want to stand or put any weight on your foot peg if it's only mounted with one bolt.