1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Gas Cap Leaking

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by glangston, May 1, 2009.

1. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Stock cap on IMS tank on 08 TE 250.

I think I've squashed the gasket down to where it's not doing much. Can you poke or pull it back up to normal or just get a new one or what?
  2. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

<Post deleted because my reply was about the stock tank, not the IMS. Lack of reading skills on my part.>
  3. scoobywrx05 Husqvarna
    A Class

Check and make sure the rubber gasket is seated the whole way down into the cap. The only time I've ever had my 08 cap leak was because the gasket was sticking up a tiny bit on the one side. I think sometimes the gasket likes to stick to the tank a little bit when you first start to unscrew the cap and in turn pulls the gasket out of the cap ever so slightly. I've had this happen to me twice and both times it was the gasket being pulled up just a little bit. At first glance the gasket doesn't even look like its pulled up at all but chances are it probably is. It took me about 30 min to figure out the problem the first time it happened because the gasket looked fine until I grabbed a hold of it and turned it inside the cap about a 1/4 turn with a little pressure pushing it down into the cap. Did this all of a sudden start happening one day while you where riding your bike or did it happen after you filled up the tank and then went for a ride??
  4. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I had that problem. Take a close look at the filler neck. Odds are that it is cracked where it meets the tank.. It's happened twice now on my IMS tank.
  5. scoobywrx05 Husqvarna
    A Class

I forgot about IMS have the tank cracking problems,,well,,,didn't really forget about it,,just didn't think about it when I was posting. So how many tanks is IMS going to replace before they just do a recall on all the Husky tanks they have made. Seems like they might be just a little worried about having one of their tanks split while somebody is just riding their bike and catches on fire because of a faulty made tank,,either that,,or IMS has really good insurance and they just don't care if you go up in flames.:excuseme:
  6. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    I've had the leaking cap issue with my IMS as well with no evidence of a crack around filler neck. The damn gasket just doesn't seat correctly sometimes and I've got to unthread the cap fiddle with gasket then rethread until the cap's happy. Of course this is after I've realized it's spewing gas all over my junk and the bike after the first few bumps on a full tank. Don't know what else to say for advise. Try backing the cap off against the threads and tighten after checking that the rubber gasket is pushed up to the top of the threads. It's a bit finicky. HTH