1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FX350 vs TX300

Discussion in '4st' started by 95jersey, Jan 30, 2017.

1. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC
    I currently have a 2014 Gas Gas 300. Before that I had a TE310 (Italian).

I am in market for new bike and are looking at either the TX300 or FX350. I am senior hare scramble racer and of course do weekend trail rides. I ride with fast guys and we pretty much run a race pace all the time and are aggressive.

I guess the debate is the old 2 vs 4 stroke, but I am having serious trouble making up my mind. I listed some pro/cons of each. The ones in bold are more important to me. Am I missing anything on my list?

TX300 Pro:

1) cheap maintenance
    2) simple design
    3) light/nimble
    4) cheaper cost
    5) better lugging off idle

TX300 Con:

1) Jetting based on altitude and temps needs adjusting
    2) have to premix fuel which is a problem on 100 mile dual sports when stopping at gas stations
    3) poor fuel mileage compared to 4 stroke injection
    4) more tiring power delivery

FX350 Pro:

1) smooth less tiring power delivery
    2) less vibration
    3) better fuel mileage
    4) no premix, can just fill up at gas station without carrying oil
    5) no jetting issues ever

FX350 Con:

1) Heavier (just a little)
    2) more complex and difficult to diagnose problems
    3) more expensive
    4) very costly maintenance and rebuild
    5) 4 stroke flame out in the tight stuff

What do you guys think? It is not an easy decision.
  2. CombatYoga Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FX 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 GasGas XC300R
    Hey Jersey - don't know if you recognize my handle from over on the GasGas forum. You actually helped sway me
    into buying my 2014 GG EC300 back in 2014.

I bought an FX 350 in November. Just moved up to A class for 2017.

I freakin' love this bike. Gobs of smooth power. Are you sure this FX 350 is heavier than our '14 EC 300's?
    I firmly believe my GG is at least 20 lbs. heavier, and it may be closer to 30. I'm also loving the WP AER fork - works well
    for my style of racing. Have not had them re-valved yet and so far don't see the need.

I flamed out my first race 5 or 6 times. Made some small adjustments to my Rekluse, but the ticket seemed to be turning up the idle.
    My bike idles quite high now, just wanting to creep forward when in gear. Flame outs are now a thing of the past.

Definitely will be more expensive to maintain. I can say without hesitation that I am faster on this bike now though.

I wonder if perhaps a 2-stroke is still ideal for some extremely technical terrain/obstacles. If you are getting on fire roads or even a little pavement to dual sport, I found my EC 300 to be very hard to ride - they just don't maintain constant speed very well, as you know.

I'm running VP T4 race fuel and installed breather bullets in the air box and the bike rips. Trackside parts availability is definitely better.

I can't think of anything on the bike I'm unhappy with. Going from a GG to a Husky/KTM took some getting used to in terms of the steering rake. The Husky feels like the front wheel is under your nuts at first. The air fork is much lighter than a traditional spring as well - so this combined for a bit of squirrel-iness. I installed a sub mount steering damper - that plus getting some seat time on it has made that squirrelly feeling go away.
  3. nsrrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJ09, Triumph Tiger Cub
    I am a hardcore 4T guy, always have been for the last 50 years. That said, the new 17 TX300 is magical.....totally in a class by itself. When I can afford it I will get one to sit next to my 17 FE450.
    Teambowles likes this.
  4. Brapman629 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350!
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 250SX-F (Wifes)
    You pretty much nailed every pro/con that has plagued everyone since the dawn of the 300/350. Do you like your current 300? I was on 250 2strokes forever and I went with the 350 simply because I wanted to rider something different. I'm sure someone will say test ride both, but honestly I haven't found a dealer yet that will really let me test ride them. Putting around a field doesn't exactly tell me whats better for me. No right or wrong choice at least, either bike will be absolutely amazing.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Put a lectron on the 300 n carry oil in a bottle(how hard is it to tip a bit of oil in while fillin up?!).
    87husky500xc likes this.
  6. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    Sticking with Husqvarna you nailed it. However jumping to other brands you can solve some of the 300's cons as well as the 350's. Personally if you loved your 310 then the 350 is a step up in everything. Coming from a Gas Gas you will notice lighter front feel, more unstable at fast speeds and overall more aggressive bike vs. the TX300 or in my example a XC300.
  7. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC

I hated the 310...POS. So you are saying the 350 is a more aggressive bike? Not sure I follow your response.
  8. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    Performance wise the 350 is step up from idle to top end. Also the 350 is overall more refined then the 310 ever was. Quality, fit and finish is much better. Only drawback is the suspension, 310 had better stock. If you liked your 310 when it was running then you will love the 350.
  9. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC

I meant compared to a TX300. Forget about the 310.
  10. moto120 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tough choice, they are close but comes down to the old four stroke versus two stroke debate.
    Both bikes have the WP AER forks (air forks).There are a few you tube videos on these bikes
    (set up video's)
    Most reviews claim two stroke needs reeds and air box opened up. Carb seems ok just rejet.
    Same engine as 2017 KTM XC300.
    FX350 seems ok for cross country/enduro no MX. Seems like there are no Husky demo days.
    I recognize your handle from the gas gas riders forum. I own a GasGas XC300 and live in
    South Jersey too!!
    I have been shopping for a bike also. I've been leaning toward a 2017 ktm xc or Beta myself.
    Have you considered (looked at) the Beta 300RR or 350RR
    Keep us posted on what you decide
  11. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Central Jersey Cycle will let you ride a few bikes behind the shop and it's a good shop with a good guy running it.
  12. moto120 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sept. 2016 Dirt Rider magazine had a test on both of them. (you tube video) Good reviews for both.
    Husky TE 300 two stroke is another option to. Smooth power, factory lights, but different forks.
    (not AER air)
  13. 95jersey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Gas Gas 300 XC

Small world...lol. So the beta suspension (SACHS) is a downer for me. I like the oil injection, but that standard model has open cartridge forks that will not be good for fast hare scramble racing, the racing version has closed cartridge, but no oil injection. You can buy the oil injection system but it is expensive. Also, the suspension has less travel than all the other bikes in the 300 class, and I need every bit of travel when pounding 3ft whoops in 4th gear.

I had a chance to ride a 16 KTM 350 and hated it. I mean fast bike and smooth power, but I hated the way it handled compared to a 2 stroke. I just could not get over it, especially in the tight and gnarly. So it is 2 stroke all the way. I am sick of part limitations with the Gasser and little nit picky issues that I have been through over the past few years.

To the other poster, yes I know Bob at CJS very well. Bought my TXC 310 back in 2012 from him. He does not have any TX300's in stock, but I have money down. So I need to wait.

The only regret I have getting rid of the Gasser is all the time I put into setting up the bike a tweaking it over the years. As it stands right now, it is an amazing bike and set up VERY well for enduro/hare scramble, but I miss being able to walk into a dealer and get parts that day as I need them.