1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Fuel Vent Leak Solution

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mlorenzini, Sep 28, 2014.

1. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 Ducati CR, '12 VStrom650, KLR650
    I've been having a problem with my TE511 losing fuel since I bought it. I've replaced the stock valve on the vent line with another stock valve and it still leaks (about 6 oz on a typical hard ride). I am trying to think of a solution to this problem. I noticed the other vent that goes from the lower fuel cell to the upper one is directly in line with the vent line at the top near the fuel cap and only about a half inch of space separates their openings near the cap. I'm thinking that maybe pressured fuel from the lower cell is being forced through the vent line to the upper cell and shooting straight into the upper cell vent line. That line flows down to the valve where the fuel works its way past the valve and down the vent hose.

Is there a way to prevent the heated/pressured fuel from the lower cell from shooting into the upper cell vent line? I'm wondering if some type of valve on the hose from the lower cell could allow vapor to pass but hold back fuel? Obviously the stock valve is unable to do this. I wish the two hoses didn't line up so directly and closely near the cap. But it's just a theory I have that this is what is causing fuel to go out my vent hose.

Anybody have any ideas?
    danny318 likes this.
  2. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gosh, nobody?
  3. underwatersimon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Beta 350rr
    Never experienced this problem. Not with the stock setup or with the IMS.
    I do like the IMS set up as the lower vent actually runs to the upper tank and vents out the cap like a traditional system.

Not helpful I know, but its all i got.
  4. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can you use just the IMS tank and not the stock one? I wonder if I could just avoid using the stock one that way. Does the IMS tank still have to feed to the lower stock cell where the pump is?
  5. underwatersimon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Beta 350rr
    Everything supplies the lower tank. You would have to relocate the pump to eliminate it and I can't see any real benifit to attempting that. I rarely fill the IMS unless I know I'm headed way out in the bush. At about 1/2 full the weight is hardly noticable for the average trail rider.

Again, with this system all vents are connected to the IMS tank so there is no risk of loosing fuel.
    I'd take some pics but am presently away for work. The directions on their site outline it pretty well though.
  6. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    oh, the vent hose from the stock tank feeds into the IMS. I didn't realize that. Yeah, that would definitely solve the issue. Thanks. Expensive solution though that shouldn't be required.