Fuel tank leak

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Jonscheets, May 19, 2016.

1. Jonscheets Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just got a TR650 strada a month ago and after my first fill up last week I noticed a fuel leak. It's coming from the tank right by the upper left mount. It must be a tiny crack or hole because it only leaks about 10 drips over night. After I took the fairings off I wiped it and watch it take a few seconds to moisten.

Anyways, I'm gonna try to keep the tank in, sand the area down and apply an epoxy and hope it stops. If it doesnt I'm gonna remove the tank, clean it out and try to plastic weld it.

My 2 questions are:1. Has anyone had an issue like this? 2. Has anyone removed the gas tank? Looks like you need to remove the subframe but shouldn't be too difficult
  2. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    My tank hasn't leaked but it's not too bad a job removing the tank. It just takes a bit of time. If you're doing that though ,you might as well check the air box, throttle body & stepper motor while the subframe is off. Easy access once you've reached that stage.
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Hi Jonscheets, was this caused by the T25 torx fastener/clip?
    I think its worth grinding the pointy end off these, on the tank side anyhow
  4. Jonscheets Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Before I took the t25 mount off I thought the bracket might have chaffed thru the tank but after the hardware was removed I realized it was leaking under the rubber grommet. I'm guessing it's just a defective part of the tank as you can see it looks like the plastic had little air bubbles in it when poured.
    PaulC likes this.
  5. GrumpyShamurai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 XL350 - 74 XL125 - 07 FZ1
    There is a used tank on fleabay if its a big enough concern to need replacement.
  6. jetsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Honda cb500f
    Hi there, I had a persistent problem with leaking gas around the fuel pump. It seems like the gasket around the pump wasn't set right, anyway I removed the fuel pump and reseted the gasket, so far so good, went on a few bumpy trails and ditches and no leaking. also ordered new gasket from Bikebandit.com, it is some $12.00 just in case.
  7. jetsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Honda cb500f
    also Guys forgive me I'm new to this great forum I have to say it
    Riding my Terra on the road is absolutely intoxicating handling is fantastic and first time I rode it couldn't believe how great it handles and the acceleration
    sound LOVE IT !!!
    LED likes this.