Fuel pump - 610 vs 630??

Discussion in '610/630' started by BiG DoM, May 1, 2016.

1. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am fitting a 630 gas tank to my 610 (I lost my 610 tank in a fire and was given a 630 one). The fuel pump electrical connector is slightly different in that it has an extra pin on the far side. The 610 plug fits and connects into the 630 socket but excludes the extra pin. Does anyone know what it is for? Or can read electrical diagrams and compare for me please?
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    The 630 and 610 are both only using 4 wires going into the pump assembly. They are the same colors and in the same positions according to the schematics. If the 630 has a fifth wire in the plug it's not being used.

XLEnduroMan likes this.
  3. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great - thanks Bob. I must confess I did not count the wires from the pump, just noted the pins. The 630 socket is wider to accommodate the extra pins but the 610 plug fits in to the one side with the appropriate slide ridges etc allowing fitment but excludes the one pin. I will give it a test shortly and hopeful all A for Away :rolleyes:
  4. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok I have got the fuel pump working - had to swop a connector around and yes the one pin in the 630 is dormant. Now please can someone help - and sorry had the bike apart and now scratching my head a bit due to the new slightly different tank and connections. Where does this hose circled that exits the TB go? What is its purpose? Is it an overflow/over fuel
    vent? Also is this the same on the 630?

s-l225.jpg
  5. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Thats a vacuum pipe for the fuel pressure regulator.
    The picture is really small.
  6. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks - sorry pic is off the net. I see now it has a male pressure fitting on the end. Now the question is what to do with it as the 630 tank has only one outlet that presumably goes to the TB inlet.

I know the 630 TB was changed to a 45mm unit so may be different in terms of a pressure regulator. Any suggestions help welcome.
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm not as familiar w/ the injected 610s, but it appears they use an external fuel pressure regulator (with a return line) whereas the 630 has the regulator in the tank with the pump (dumps straight back in the tank). You're going to have to figure out a way to dump the fuel from the return line back into the tank. You might be able to install a bulkhead fitting somewhere on the tank. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-65128?seid=srese1&gclid=CL_Iqa6EvswCFQeraQodmk4OXA
  8. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    If the 630 has the same pipe that goes between each side of the tank, so the fuel in the left side can be used, then he could T into that as a return.

Sorry, its not the vacuum pipe, its the fuel return pipe. I was struggling with the size of the pic.
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good idea.

10. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will try that, sounds like a good solution. Thanks :)
  11. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630, 610, WXE 610, TE 450, WXE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    But you are going to loose a lot of fuel capacity by using that valve as a return line.
  12. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why do you say that? Surely the cross-over just allows petrol to flow between the two tank lobes and all the return hose will be doing is feeding gas into it from the lowest point?

Anyway I have tried T-ing in there and bike will not start. The pump cycles up and appears to pump gas as some comes out the return. There is also spark. Guess I need to try and pull the injector and check that it is spraying a good mist. I have checked and swopped around all fuses and relays, checked and cleaned all connectors. I do not have i-Beat but am wondering if the TPS needs resetting - I have not touched it but bike was sitting for some time. I have also read that the coolant temp sensor can cause bike to not want to start?
  13. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630, 610, WXE 610, TE 450, WXE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff

My guess is that the pressure of the flow coming from the return will prevent you from draining the side of the tank that you are T-ing into.
  14. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I get you - yeah worth thinking about.
  15. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok so still struggling along to get the bike going. Pump seems to be pumping fine but the injector is not firing! All fuses and all connections checked. Starting to suspect the ECU ...
  16. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Going to blank off the regulator return at the TB as the 630 pump has an integral one in the tank … thinking it may be reducing the pressure as the injector is not firing.
  17. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

YAY!! Got her started. Blanked off the return hose as above and solved the problem. I have not ridden the bike but hopefully all sorted. I was getting worried that the ECU was not firing the injector and was faulty … so a relief.
    DYNOBOB and Spice Weasel like this.
  18. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have been thinking about this some more … I also cleaned the injector (sprayed cleaner into it) … and am wondering if that was not the issue. So I now need to try it with the return hose open. My rethinking ... logically the FPR should only function if need be i.e. if fuel pressure is too high and then it releases gas through the return pipe to reduce pressure. Now with the 630 pump being in the tank and the FPR integral on this model pump the gas pressure is being regulated even before being pumped to the FPR on my TE610 TB … and is unlikely to need secondary regulating!? Also the return pipe is only used as an 'escape valve' to release pressure (gas) if too high … it cannot really cause pressure to be too low unless it is malfunctioning which is very unlikely. I will know later today when I get a chance to follow up.