Fuel light always on

Discussion in '610/630' started by stuartmcivor, Sep 18, 2014.

1. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    Yesterday. after a bouncy uphill ride, I noticed that the fuel light was flashing on and off with 2/3 of a tank. Eventually it was more on that off and now is always on. I have filled the tank since and the light stays on. Some observations I have made are...

1.) when stopped at a traffic light the fuel light will almost always go out only to come back on once underway.
    2.) on the kickstand when I turn the bars all the way to the left the light goes out. bring the bars back to center the light comes on. Turning bars to the right does nothing. Light stays on.

I was thinking maybe my bouncy ride knocked something loose inside the tank. I expect I will have to pull the fuel pump out for a look-see as not much can be done through the fill hole. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their fuel light? maybe it is an electrical thing? I will check the wiring before pulling the fuel pump.

Bike is a 2011 SM 620 with about 13000km.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    Well it looks like I figured it out.

Turns out there was a broken wire in the main harness right up parallel with the left radiator. This brown wire in a rainbow of wires snaked into it's own special cover inside the loom but because it was broken came out when gently pulled. Cutting back the special cover 3cm revealed that the brown wire connects to a solid core bare wire using some sort of side by side crimp. The brown wire had broken off here. One but connector, two pieces of heat shrink tubing and some electrical tape, plus hours of time and it is all back together. The bike runs and all the lights work! I still have to wait and see if the fuel light will come on at the proper time when the level gets low. That trouble shooting I look forward too because it is such a nice day out for a ride.

I hope this information might help somebody else in the future if they unfortunately need it.
  3. w2ge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    My low fuel light is always on since I bought the bike... Never figured it out. Of course mine is an entirely different model ( TE 310) but maybe I'll poke around the main harness. I've already checked all connectors, etc. ...all the obvious.... NADA
  4. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

Your problem is likely the resistor soldered into the wire leading from the sensor in the petcock has broken loose. You will find it in the loom on the left side of the bike heading towards the front of the bike. I should be right about the point the loom passes the radiator. Mine does the same thing. I just disconnected the connector from the petcock under the tank and the light goes out. I just use the odometer as my fuel gauge.
    w2ge likes this.
  5. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    My TE610 I bought used, and it never had the sensor connected...

I've filled up with about 11L before, without the light on, and other times I've had it come on fueled up with only 10L of fuel...

I know for sure, if I make it to 200km, I better fill up.
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    My 310, a 13, was a failing petcock sensor. $45 and 2 screws to replace.
  7. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

How did you test it to figure it out?
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pull connector and check continuity. You should get continuity if float is down but not up/with a full tank/float up.
    w2ge and Mike-AK like this.
  9. w2ge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW R1200RT

Mike, let me ask you.. I've yet to get an idea of the range of my TE310.. at what point (mileage) do you feel you need to re-fill your 310?
  10. w2ge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    So your saying that if I have a full tank, and then place a VOM across the wires in the connector and they show a short, then replace the "petcock sensor", correct? You wouldn't happen to have part number would you!? :)
  11. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

I'm running the TXC ECU and injector along with a pipe. I'm looking for fuel at 80 miles. Looking real hard at 100.
    w2ge likes this.
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    As they say in the parts book... "Fuel Cock" PN8000 H4008

[IMG]
    w2ge likes this.
  13. w2ge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    So, I have a short with fuel in the tank (going across the two pins from the petcock) .. also if I pull the plug apart while it is running the fuel light STILL stays on? .. *I'm confused:confused:
  14. shanes_husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250 2012
    Hi, i have the same issue and looking to resolve the matter. mine also stays on when disconnecting the plug. has there been any joy since anyone else has had the fault?