Fuel filter..

Discussion in 'TR650' started by snail_72, Apr 11, 2015.

1. snail_72 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650
    Has any one done enough km's or miles on their bike to replace there fuel pump / filter as it is the one unit. Or coming close to thinking about changing the fuel filter. I like to change all the filters on any bike as it is the cheapest and easiest thing to do to keep the bike running 100% and live a long life... $800 just to replace the filter and having to replace the pump at the same time is a bit rich to me. I would like to here every one though's
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Looks like a similar issue as on the V-Stroms....
    The only way there was to fit an external filter by cutting the OEM HP-line from the quick-connects and fitting a small car-filter into a new high-pressure hose under the rear seat brace.
    Can't see the required space available to do that on the TR though...
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    If you have done the pod mod, the filter could reside in the airbox. :thinking:
    snail_72 likes this.
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Now you're seriously de-tuning that fabulous airbox, mate :lol::p

Besides which, it's starting to get damn cramped in there with the pod-filter and hardware, "the Eruption" erupting profusely, an ingnition pickup ring for the EWS-bypass etc... where to stash a fist-sized fuel-filter? :excuseme:
    snail_72 and mag00 like this.
  5. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    a fuel filter would also only prevent dirty fuel from reaching the injection bodies, it would do nothing to protect the fuel pump. Running dirty fuel could still result in an expensive fuel pump replacement...
  6. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    According to the schematics, it seems that the pump is sunk into the tank, and the filter is between the pump and the injector in any case. I have never extracted mine to verify it, but it seems that the filter is simply hosed to the pump, while the big question mark is how it's secured to the cap. In any case the fuel pump assembly costs €226 at Italhusky.

Compared to the VStrom, the tr650 design is leaps and bounds superior. The metal tank caused all sort of condensation problems, and, therefore, the filter was efficient only for brief periods. Moreover, I had to remove the tank in order to access it, a huge PITA. Basically I had to make sure to fill-up the tank every time I didn't use the bike for a few days. It's also worth mentioning that the fuel pump was a lot noisier too.
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    After 5 V-Stroms myself and servicing/ repairing/ modding at least a dozen friend's V-Stroms over the last 13 years, tank-condensation has never been an issue....at all.
    Crappy fuel certainly has. We've also had the Stroms standing around for weeks/ sometimes months with whatever fuel remained in the tanks after the last ride.
    (never disconnected a battery, either, nor used trickle chargers!!).

Both the factory and aftermarket inline filters have been "efficient" all the times on all the bikes...until clogged with enough debris/water/ crap to bring fuel-flow down to a trickle.
    And no, dirty fuel did NOT affect the pump at all (NO pump failures because of clogging up the actual pump)... until it came to a point where the filter became clogged, creating enough back-pressure for extended periods, which in return killed the pump which was trying to do double-duty by sucking in fuel one side and trying to push it out the other side into a clogged filter... at the same time.
    It simply burned out.

Ergo....keep the filter clean and you don't have to worry about the pump.
    The OEM V-Strom filters are part of the pump-assembly and need to be bypassed (easiest with the early 2002-2006 DL1000 filters) via a drilled hole in the filter assembly, then a far bigger filter is used inline to the injectors.
    The only other thing to kill the Strom pump was the fact that the last 1.5-2.0 l of fuel in the tank (pooling in the pump-well) were actually designed to cool the fuel-pump while running...run the tank dry often enough and the pump eventually overheated and packed up.
    Still got a modded pump+filter assembly around, methinks.
    Xtyling likes this.
  8. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I think it might be possible to replace the filter itself. Looking at the parts diagram it "appears" the filter is external to the pump proper. This is how it is on my Ducati fuel pump. I don't see a part number listing for the filter by itself, they only list the entire pump assembly.

It also appears to be fairly sizable vs the dinky filter in the Vstroms. I had a '06 Vee and did the external filter mod where you drill a chamber wall to bypass the dinky little internal filter, then add a larger external filter.

[IMG]
    PaulC and snail_72 like this.
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    snail_72 likes this.
  10. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    My problem was the fact that I had to leave the bike in the street, so subjected to all sort of temperature deltas. After 2-3 years the tank was already rusted and the filter needed to be changed due to all the metal residue clogging it. It was and still is a common problem of all first generation v-stroms, mainly due to the great external surface of the tank itself (and the material used).

In any case my main point was on how much easier is the access to the fuel pump in the tr650 compared to the vstrom.
  11. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    If you look at the diagram danketchpel posted there is also a prefilter below the pump. There is no part number but looks to be standard looking. Probably could by any motorcycle prefilter material and make it work.
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    There is no indication of any service part or need to clean or replace the fuel filter in the Workshop manual. It goes into great detail on how to test the pump, but nothing else.
    If you remove the silly plastic part that narrows the filler tube at the top, you could fit a removable mesh filter to prevent dirt and crap going into the tank in the first place. Being a plastic tank it will then not suffer corrosion or any other degradation that may contaminate the fuel.
    Xtyling likes this.
  13. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    I was talking to an Italian expert in fuel filters last week and we both got wondering exactly what filter was used on the TR. So I removed the fuel pump assembly from the spare Terra yesterday and took it apart.

The filter is a simple interference fit with the top of the assembly. The part is a Sogefi Filtration FT5714, made in Brazil.
    The whole fuel pump assembly looks to be identical to the one used in the BMW C650 Sport scooter. Although I can't be 100% sure.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the filter so far, but you never you if this information could be useful at some point.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    PaulC, LED and DeLewis like this.
  14. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The G650X also has the filter in the tank with no Part No in the BMW spares system for the unit, owners identified the Mahle filter and it turned out the BMW Dealers did have access to the filter separately but it seemed only a few Dealers have been prepared to sell the filter, it may be worthwhile digging around the G650X threads at Advrider, from memory the F800GS is similar as well

What would be important is to identify where the regulator and the return valve actually is

http://www.ebay.it/itm/POMPA-BENZINA-INTERNA-FUEL-PUMP-INSIDE-BMW-C-650-SPORT-/122363661664
    Ziggy likes this.
  15. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

...subscribed...