1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

front wheel alignment please help

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by megagobby, Jan 14, 2011.

1. megagobby Husqvarna
    B Class

on my wr 250 83 i cant seem to get the front wheel to line up correctly. i need to get it over to the left side a bit more. but having trouble. maybe the lert side spacer is too wide ?? not sure because its a fixed spacer. is this correct ? any pics will help me along . thanks all
  2. megagobby Husqvarna
    B Class

i moved the spacer inwards to move wheel over . think it sorted.
  3. HuskyT Moderator

May want to review this thread... covers your problem and mine well!!!

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16753

I will l have a new spacer machined by the end of the day today! 12mm with a 6.5 mm counterbore 26 mm O.D.

Pics in Thread courtesy of Dave ( Picklito)

T
  4. megagobby Husqvarna
    B Class

the second pic is the same as mine. all i did was move the spacer on th oposite side over to the left to push over to centralise wheel . is this safe and ok ??
  5. HuskyT Moderator

To answer your question: YES

In more detail...Here is what I learned through this from several people here on the forum....and actually did.

1) Leave the four axle pinch bolts on each fork leg loose...

2) Tighten the axle nut with all spacers in place on the axle.

3)Slide the tightened axle with spacers left or right and check for the wheel being centered........make sure that the quick pull handle has room and is not completely against the fork leg.

4) Once wheel/axle is centered, tighten the four pinch bolts on the brake backer side( left side or clutch handle side of bike) (Note that once you have done this once you should never have to loosen this side ever again)

5)Hold the front brake on and pump the forks a few times to help center /locate the axle in the forks / roll front wheel apply brakes a few times

6)Now go to the opposite fork leg and tighten the four pinch bolts on the right side of bike and your done...

For Reference: Next time you need to remove the wheel all you will need to do is loosen the axle nut on the brake backer side and then loosen the four pinch bolts on the right side of bike and the axle will pull right out.... (note that you will not loosen the other side pinch bolts (brake backer side)as this clamped in spacer now has your centering alignment set) This is the way the quick pull axle is supposed to work... once you have gone through this set up once it now becomes quick and easy each time thereafter...

T
    moto_surfer and Brad-in-STL like this.
  6. megagobby Husqvarna
    B Class

thankyou husky t :thumbsup:
  7. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    I was going crazy yesterday trying to reinstall my '74 front wheel. Had all the spacers correct per the manual, but the wheel seemed to 'float' on the axle (i.e. wheel wasn't tight / secure between the fork tubes). I centered it and tightened the pinch bolts per above, but was left wondering if something was still wrong. Sounds like this is correct for Huskys : )
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    don't forget to measure the fork sliders just under the fork boots and just over the hub to make sure they are parallel. bouncing the forks may not always have the forks parallel
    jo360 likes this.
  9. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Use calipers and keep the forks parallel next manufacture spacers to keep the wheel in the centre of the forks.