1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Front rim split on the seam, talk to me 83 430WR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MikeDi, Jan 7, 2017.

1. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    Talk to me about options. Front rim is split as they all seem to do.
    What are my options?
    Yeah, i want the Gold Excel's but let's be realistic.
    Let's hear your opinions.
    Thanks Guys
    MikeDi
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Did it split all the way through? If so, (or if the rim is also all bent and jacked up with flat spots that you don't like) you just need to buy a new rim. If it's cracked, and it doesn't separate completely after you remove the tire, you can have it tig welded. I have had this done to a few rims, and they have all held up after the welding. The crack just needs to be cleanly ground out with a die grinder, then welded, then you can grind down, file, sand the weld, as well and polish off the exposed side.
    MikeDi likes this.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    need a pic....alot of these nordisk crack a tiny bit and never get worse.
    otherwise it needs welded, then anodized..which isnt the easiest to match the rear either
  4. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Same on both sides

Attached Files:

5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Typical of older D.I.D. rims too.
  6. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I've seen a bunch like that. I had a front rim cracked a little more than that and rode it for 2 years with no issues. Welding is the less expensive way and it works but the wheels look like crap unless you do like Nintendo says, anodize. I would run it and watch it.
    MikeDi likes this.
  7. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Run it. Yep. I haven't heard this thing run yet so need to deal with this later.
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Did you happen to notice the 'cracks' are straight and are in line with each other? That is not a crack. Rims by construction are rolled and seam welded at a maximum weld width of 50% maximum seam width. If you happen to hit the seam with the wheel, you are actually spreading the unwelded portion of the seam. You can straighten it and have it welded but at that point the welding is merely aesthetic. Does not add any structural integrity
  9. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Jim, it's split on the seam where the weld is.

10. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Are you restoring or making a rider? That is easily welded from the inside. A careful welder can spot weld, ie make several small welds to minimize the heat buildup and preserve the anodizing.
  11. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The seam weld itself is central within the width of the rim. The weld itself is not affected , the unwelded ends of the seam is what is slightly parted.
    justintendo likes this.
  12. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm going to race the piss out of it In the rocks. ::banana:

13. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    In the rocks- weld it!:banana:
    I hate rocks- you guys are sick! New England is one big rock broken into a few smaller ones.
    MikeDi likes this.
  14. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is how we ride here. Rocks, mud, trees, We have it all including combinations there of. We gave you Kevin LaVoie and Kevin Hines. There are others as well. The ISDT we held in the Berkshires in 1973 was no cakewalk and that was the first time an American team won the Silver Vase. I was a starry eyed kid of 13 watching the world play in my backyard(about 25 miles west of it) That was what inspired my father to go to enduro school and get his NETRA C license and I rode my first jr enduro the next year.
  15. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    that must have been cool watching the 73 ISDT. Kevin LaVoie is in our club. Super nice guy.

16. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes it was . I still have the ISDT T shirt never worn or washed with Malcolm Smith and Rolf Tibblin's autographs. I only got to get out of school for only Day 3 but my father shot 3 rolls of slide film and I was able to locate all his slides that included the 1973 ISDT and also the 1st national at Southwick. My father and I were both flagmen for that. Unfortunately for 1977 the AMA supplied it's own flagmen so we were done for nationals anyway. I got to work the jump right after the first turn. There is a picture of Hannah in the race that has been in several magazine where he was in an interested out of shape condition coming through the first turn about mid moto. The photographer was standing with 5 feet of me when he took it. I got to see it live. Also got to talk to Brad Lackey on the starting line. Danny LaPorte was there as well.
  17. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We have more mud and trees here, sometimes sand. Always some rocks. A lot of clay which presents it's own issues. I ran the ECEA enduros but haven't spent a lot of time in Mass or Conn. The New Hampshire dual sport is always rocks rocks rocks, then of course Hancock has rocks too but not the boulder gardens you guys seem to love. My wrists ache when I think of Moonshine and Broad Mountain.
    MikeDi likes this.
  18. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rhode Island and Connecticut have had enduros named Stepping Stone and The Boneyard.

The Jr enduros I rode were in Bennington VT and Merrimac NH. There were rocks at both but nowhere near the concentration I have seen in central Ct and in RI when my father rode the Stepping Stone in 1974
    MikeDi likes this.
  19. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rhody Rovers Rock Ride was brutal. THE Rock Garden in Arcadia near Beach Pond was legendary! I remember Kevin Heinz coming through there feet off the pegs WFO and thought, he's not human! Pick a line, nope didn't matter just pin that Husky!
  20. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I was at the ISDT in 73. I was 14. Thee most awesome motorcycle event I ever went to. Some nasty trails to ride on a vintage bike. I rode the reunion ride in 2013. We rode a few of the trails from the 73 event. I was on my 73 wr/rt 360 husky. Damn those rocks were big. Not real fun with 4 inches of suspension!!
    MikeDi likes this.