Front brake caliper bracket: supermoto to enduro bushings

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi guys, can anyone shed some light on these bushings for me. I ordered these bushings expecting them to have threads cut in them from the factory, which would then screw into the brake caliper mounting holes and adapt the M10 supermoto bolt holes to M8 for the enduro bolt holes, as well as sort out the correct spacing.

However, there is no thread on the bushings and attempts to enlist the help of a local engineering company to cut threads into them have failed because they said that the cylinder thickness was too narrow to accommodate a thread cut into it.

I could buy a die and do it myself but if it is just going to be a waste of time or even perhaps the wrong thing (I am assuming they are meant to be threaded) then obviously I don't want to waste anymore money. They cost me £10 for two of them as it is.

At the moment I am just using nuts to space the bolts out and the bolts obviously have 2mm of play in the threaded holes which isn't ideal.

The bushings are number 35 in this diagram from Husqvarna outlet:

Brak calliper brake bushes.png

Here are pics of what I received:

100_1957[1].JPG

100_1958[1].JPG

100_1959[1].JPG

Ideas on a postcard. Thanks.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    They are not meant to be threaded. An 8mm ID and M10 threads would leave them very weak.
    What is the actual diameter of the bushings?
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I've only got a tape measure but they are roughly 11mm across. I think what that guy in the other thread said about these bushings being able to convert the sm holes to the te ones might have been wrong. It's annoying to have the expense but I have made much more expensive mistakes so no biggie.

I can only imagine the TE forks are just drilled and threaded another size at the factory.

So the question now is, what is the intended application for the bushings? The parts diagram shows them going through the brake caliper but that doesn't make sense since the caliper holes are already threaded M8 holes.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    They would probably work in a TE caliper.
  5. Sizzler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600, SZR660, TLM260. DRZ250
    They go between the TE fork leg and calliper with the sleeve inside the fork leg. Their function is to reduce stress on the bolt during braking, so it is only a shear force and not a radial force.
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Ive got a set of Te 410 2000 forks and a caliper bracket, am breaking for parts.
    Could measure holes or just send you the caliper n bracket.
    But being tight i doubt you want to pay the £15 for it or the postage.

Good luck!
  7. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    They simply go into the fork leg, with the lip on the inside, and the bolts slide through into the caliper bracket.

I converted SV650 wheels on my TE, I turn the spacers around (lip on the outside of fork leg) so the caliper lines up with the rotor.
  8. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    What's this about the TE caliper? As far as I know the caliper I am trying to fit is a TE caliper.

The problem is that the fork is different, i.e. the bolt holes.

I have a caliper but I need a way of fitting it properly. At the moment I have bodged it. The problem I have is that the caliper bolt holes in the forks are M10 and the bolts for the TE caliper are M8. They also need spacing which I have done with two M8 nuts which are roughly 5mm.

I need to see pics of this setup. How dare you make assumptions about my personality.
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Flynn, the real solution is to drill the caliper to the correct size to be tapped to fit the 10mm bolt. I have done this conversion and it worked for me. It is also very affordable for you. The spacing I have no clue on since I had all of the correct parts and just needed to make the bolts fit.
  10. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I guess that combined with M10 nuts will provide a good solution. Thanks for you're input, that does indeed make sense.

I figured I would take a couple of snaps of my bodge today to update this thread with:
    100_2000.JPG
    100_2001.JPG
    I will be going for the same setup but with M10 holes in the caliper.
  11. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Flynn, I did not mean drill it out to 10mm ! I said drill it to the correct size for tapping the holes to 10mm so the bolts will thread into the caliper and not require a nut.
    juicypips likes this.
  12. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    It doesn't require a nut that is just to space the caliper out. What are the other correct parts you refer to having? Also ideally a shorter brake hose should be used as the TE hose is a couple inches too long.
  13. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

OK, I thought you were going to just drill it out to 10mm and then try to put a nut on the other side to hold it on.
  14. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    No, lol! I can see why you were worried, xD. I plan on taking the caliper to an engineering shop and to get them to drill and tap the threads and also make up some spacers, if not I will use nuts as spacers. Thanks for the help.
  15. darnold87 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610 Adventure
    I use those same bushings when switching my SM over to TE wheels and front caliper. The pic from the factory service manual isn't really correct. As posted above, they insert into the original caliper bolt holes in the fork, from the inside edge of the fork (not the outside, like it shows in the service manual pic)... and BMP in Salem set me up with the proper bolts to use as well. It works perfectly and requires nothing special. I'll attach a pic to show them installed.

Attached Files:

juicypips likes this.
  16. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wow!
    I wish I knew these existed.

I tapped the TE caliper bracket to 10mm and put spacers to offset it because the SM fork is wider than the TE.
    juicypips likes this.
  17. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    They don't work though. The diameter is too big. As I said the caliper holes are m10, i.e. 10mm in diameter, but the bushings are about 12mm in diameter, which is why I had to improvise what I posted in the pic above.

That is where the confusion is stemming from.
  18. darnold87 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610 Adventure
    Here's the package with part number to the bushings I used. Just to reiterate again, they slide into the fork, not the caliper.

Attached Files:

19. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    You mean the caliper mounting bolt holes in the fork? That is what I am referring to, they are M10 holes, the bushings are too big a diameter to fit into the m10 holes. I would guess the bushing diameter is 11 or 12mm.

I can only imagine that on later models (which these bushings are from, 2009 IIRC) that the caliper mounting bolt holes in the fork are even bigger than on the 2001 model.
  20. darnold87 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610 Adventure
    Yeah, we're talking about the same holes then (holes in the fork). Interesting... yeah, mine is a 2007 SM610 and the bushings fit perfectly into holes the fork... The SM caliper bolts are very large on mine. Sounds like yours are different.