1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Fork/Triple Swap Options

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by taps, Feb 7, 2017.

1. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 RMZ450, '08 RM250, & '74 MX360
    As I'm pondering what to do with the Showas on my '94, I stumbled upon the all balls fork conversion info. I knew you could swap the husky forks/triples around without fab, but has anyone looked into using the front suspension with triples from any of the Husabergs or KTMs they list as having the same steering bearings? They don't go back far enough to include some the 90s Husky bikes so I'm guessing they are leaving out some earlier KTMs and bergs too.

Since you don't hear about these swaps, I'm guessing there is a gotcha with the steering stem length, triple offset, or fork offset.

While we are discussing, is there a pre-existing list of what people have swapped and the work required? What about a list of the original forks and their reputations?

BTW, All Balls info: http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
    NCSteve likes this.
  2. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Taps, been contemplating the same thing on my 95 (currently has 2k WR250 marzochs 45's) with the 48mm WP OC's of a KTM/Berg but never got committed into it.

I'm pretty sure you can go to the 45mm Marzoch's from 00-03(?) with the bottom but will need the top triple clamp (l used the 2K WR250 triples)....l had 43mm Showa's as well.
    taps likes this.
  3. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    You can swap out most front ends if you have everything incl wheel.stem diameter and length probably only things you need to confirm you will need to make sure you have bearings available to accomodate head tube and stem sizes.off set should be acceptable if triples are matched with fork as most frames are very similar geometry.
    Make sure steering stoppers work with new triples.
    I put a set of 90s yz250 43mm kayaba forks on my 83 wr430 just had to use mitsubishi wheel bearings in the stem.
  4. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:

Did the 83 WR use the 50.25mm OD bearing like the later bikes? What Mitsubishi did they come off of?
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    The vintage stuff has a smaller id head stem tube, I just went down to the local bearing shop with the yz triples/stem and one of the original cups from the frame gave them to the counter guy and he gave me the new bearings told me they were mitsubishi wheel bearings shouldn't be a problem for them to get a match.
    taps likes this.
  6. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    With usd forks would not recommend my kyb43mm or any wp forks other than the real modrn stuff, had good luck with 48mm showa and kyb in regards to plushing up for trail riding the 45mm shivers need base valve mods to be any good there are some excellent conventional options Rm from 90s and wp magnum but you really need the full front end to make life easy, whatever you get factor in rebuild and shim removal especially if its mx and you want to use for trail riding.
    NCSteve and taps like this.
  7. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Still digging for info. Checked with Les @ LT-Racing, and when asked if I should go with factory showa, conventional showa from the RM, later husky, or OC 48mm WP, he suggested the WP for "durability, ease of any repairs and parts availability." So there is that. I guess I should hunt up some triples for the 4860 and see how they fit.

Btw, he also mentioned the factory showa shock wasn't bad once gone through.
  8. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Done both shocks on my crs got some specs off google the early 43mm and 48mm wp (2001 and 2003)forks didn't respond well to mods they improved the 48s every year, geoff ballard raced with a modified ttr fork.just see whats available and revews or mods required.
  9. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bringing random threads back from the dead, but it was my thread to begin with...

I have a triple from a txc on its way too. I'll see what fabbing needs done to make stops work with that. It would be easiest to work out a ktm style inline stop instead of the later husky forward pointing setup. I'm not currently liking the pricing on '12+ yz forks to go to SSS with the proper tube sizes to use these triples, but I at least snagged the triples for a good price.

If I feel inspired, I'll try my WP CC setup, but honestly, I don't think I want to yank apart the ktm.

note: I moved the info on my shiver swap to its own thread
  10. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    NCSteve likes this.
  11. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Since I have now jumped ship on the original title of this thread, I'll probably make a new thread and only report my info about the txc and ktm clamps here...

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused moving stuff.
  12. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 txc250 clamps showed up today. Will either need factory style stops or something like KTM. I'll post some better pics when I get a chance to go back out. I thought of something that might be helpful: a list of fork tube mounting diameters from factory Husqvarna setups. I'll measure what I have and start a list here. I guess I should divide the list into clamps with the old style stops and those with the '10+ style.

20180102_141523.jpg
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    " I'll see what fabbing needs done to make stops work with that. It would be easiest to work out a ktm style inline stop"
    custom_steering_stops.jpg
    taps likes this.
  14. taps Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '94 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well there you go!