First "wintery" Ride Of The Season 12/16/17

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Dirtdame, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    We have had such weird weather around here this autumn...very warm and also exceptionally dry.
    So it was quite a pleasant surprise to experience some wintery weather finally. My friends Jim and Sandi decided to join me for a day of trail riding, yesterday. We made plans on Thursday night. Sandi said that the chances of rain were zero according to the weather site that she looked at. Yahoo weather told me that there was about a ten percent chance of rain for the mountains, so I decided to take a waterproof jacket with me.
    As I was driving up into the San Bernardino mountains, I noticed long gray curtains of precipitation sagging out of the clouds. I soon ran into it...and it was snow. By the time I reached our staging spot at the Big Bear airport around 8 a.m., the whole town had a thin layer of white covering it.
    My friends and I discussed the situation while we ate breakfast at the airport diner. Jim thought that the weather conditions might get too dicey for us, and thought that maybe we might alter our plans. He didn't want me to think that I had to go through with the planned itinerary just because we were already there. I suggested that we drive our vehicles over to a clearing near the trailhead we wanted to use, so that we wouldn't have to expose ourselves to the cold at speed, on any pavement stretches. My buddies were good with that idea, so off we went. If the weather looked like it was going to get worse, we would be a lot closer to the staging area than if we stayed at the airport.
    As luck would have it, the snow stopped and the sun came out later in the day. Most of the snow melted and evaporated, leaving the dirt strangely dry and a little dusty, although not too dusty. The temperature probably never got above 40, but we managed to stay warm, save for our fingers...even with cold weather gloves. We had a good day, and then went over to our favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant for an early supper, before heading home.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    268fords, Huskynoobee, PaulD and 4 others like this.
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Still haven't ridden since Oct. I'm such a loser
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :rolleyes:
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Its great to have good riding mates to muck around with. Better still if they like a wee tipple after a ride.
    The trail looked quite entrancing with a dusting of white stuff.
    Thank you again for sharing DD.
    Dirtdame likes this.