1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC First ride - Trail Tech TE250i EFI 2 stroke

Discussion in '2st' started by Motosportz, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well I did it, I knocked the shiny off that amazing TE250i build. the bike is as good as it looks. I'll add a bunch more as I have time but there is the quicky review.

For reference I rode a 2017 TE250 all year last year and that same bike was along for this ride so we did some back to back. Neither bike is stock and both have had the suspensions done.

Build info for this bike is here...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/im-building-a-decked-out-2018-te250i.88141/page-3#post-635165

Motor / EFI:

I know this is going to be the most asked questions so lets dive right in. I like it. First off I see no down side so far other than complexity of the machine itself. In us it is like the best jetted carb ever. Starts very easy (no throttle needed) and idles crazy low and steady. Motor is not stock as it has a FMF Gnarly and spark arrested muffler. Response is very nice, bike runs pretty much perfect all the time. No bog, no pinging, no hesitation, no run on. Runs perfect.

BTW zero spooge out the muffler and it does not really smoke after it warms up. I ahve not checked MPG but think it is going to be very good based on how far I went and how much fuel is left.

Power:

Like the 2017 the bottom end is slightly soft like all the balanced motors seem to be. As the bike got a few miles on it I did notice more bottom end. The mid and top end are borderline to much. This bike is FAST. Its almost like a motocross version of the 250 2 stroke. Its not as forgiving as some motors and a bit on the racy side. had a pretty good hit. If you are an experienced rider this works for you and allows you to jump stuff, move the rear end around with the throttle and gives you a lot of control. If you are inexperienced or tired things can get out of shape. Whisky throttle on this bike would be bad.

Suspension:

I never rode this bike stock. I sent it off to Richard at House of Horsepower. That guy is not a simple valve restaker he works on every circuit and understands the inner working of suspension very well. I have ran his stuff before. I told him I liked the convenience of the top clickers and wanted to keep them if possible. He thought he might need to gut them and put comp on the bottom to make it work 100%. When I got it back i was surprised to see the clickers like stock. After speaking with him he reconfigured a bunch of stuff, put fancy progressive fork springs he pioneered a few years ago and said he thought it should work great. Boy was he right. Suspension is freaking amazing. At first it was slightly sloppy and loose in front and slightly stiff in the rear. Was very good just wanted to dive int he front on down hills. I tweaked the clickers front and rear, only a couple clicks from where he sent them and bam, pretty much perfect suspension. Super impressive work. I look forward to setting it up more. As it I'd rate it top notch.

I would highly recommend Richards work if you have these 48mm explorers. Having ridden the 2017 stock these are miles ahead in performance.

Handling:

I have a fastway damper and the suspension done. It handles very well. I think it will handle even better after more setup (fork height and sag). I've very pleased with it as is. That said I think I still prefer the geometry of the new 2018 GG better. The damper and suspension get it close but I love the way the GG handles.

Summery:

Pretty excited about how good the bike turned out. All the aftermarket stuff and setup made this one of the best off road bikes I have ever ridden. Its a great machine.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    gergte310, lankydoug, 56on449 and 8 others like this.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    badass bro. badass.

and stop posting such purdy pics man cuz i got nuttin that even comes close....that 1st pic is crazy cool brother.

"decent jimmy, decent!" lol.
  3. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    God damn that headlight is ugly
    JonXX and shawbagga like this.
  4. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Function is what’s most important!
    gergte310 likes this.
  5. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Looks and sounds great, that headlight means bizness! And how about those Chiny tires? Pretty much all new tires work well, but wondering about weight, grip after a few hours and durability. :cheers:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Quick update...

I have been riding the bike every chance I get. Got three solid rides and about 140 miles. Bike rocks. I'm loving the EFI, it is very smooth, makes great power and always the same. Never bogs, never loads up, pulls very very low RPM without complaining. The real eye opener is Richards (House of Horsepower) suspension work. It started out amazing and has only got better with some clicker tweaking. I'm stunned how well it works, super controlled yet very plush. I feel invincible. I'm also loving the tires and damper. I have to say, that amazing suspension work, the very nice working damper and those tires are conspiring to make this one fantastic mount. I feel somewhat invincible on this bike. My speed has increased and my friends tell me I very fast on it even when I am not really trying. I do feel hero on it. We rode in cold sloppy, slick technical stuff yesterday and I felt I could do no wrong. I'm loving this bike.

BTW the EFI seems to getting just Ok reviews in the mags. I really feel it is a step forward. It runs so clean and predictable and this bike runs about as hard as any 250 2 stroke I've ever ridden. I climbed a really nasty slick loose rocky hill like nothing when my friends struggled and took multiple tries at it. The smooth predicable power, that suspension and the damper all made it amazingly easy.

Kind of wished I rode it stock to compare but I have no doubt the suspension, damper and tires were a very good upgrade having ridden the 2017 TE250 all last year.
    NCSteve, Huskynoobee and robertaccio like this.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Any idea about range improvement over the carb with the EFI? Sounds like you're having way too much fun to worry about that yet.:lol:
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dats wat im talkin about....bout sums it up! braaaaaaap!
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I have not checked it officially but dont think it is getting way better than a carbed bike. Will check next time out.
  10. Twitzel94 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te310
    What headlight is this?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Trail Tech amazing 7" LED. 4700 lumens and 27 watts draw. The thing puts out a crazy amount of light with that big reflector.

https://www.trailtech.net/7-headlight
    pvduke and LandofMotards like this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW I noticed this bike does not spooge at all out the muffler. We ride a lot of slower technical stuff where bikes tend to load up some and spooge a lot. EFI seems to fix that issue.
    NCSteve and LandofMotards like this.
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    answered a ? i had on another thread re. this lamp thanks budeeee mreep mreeep.
  14. ggalex Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE350
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ450, Bultaco Alpina 350, Suz GT380
    Did you get a chance to ride it with the stock pipe and silencer to compare? (KTM/HQA have got to stop shipping trailbikes without sparkies dammit!)

And do you plan to put an SX or aftermarket high-comp head on it?
    I'm curious to hear if that will improve the soft bottom end, and it will be sort-of mandatory for me in Idaho with all the high-altitude-induced performance loss.

I'd be interested to hear whether you get good results with any more changes besides the FMF parts, as it seems you got lucky on the fueling with the stock fuel map if it is running well for you.

I've been reading about the 250i, mainly on KTMTalk, until my eyes bleed. There seems to be a good deal of variability with the results of how these bikes run, and that is apparently due to the inherent nature of the rudimentary and inflexible version of speed-density, non-feedback (open-loop) EFI. Several fuel maps revisions have been released if that tell us anything. (And oh, for altitude compensation to kick-in, the motor should be shut off for every 2-3k up or down, for a couple seconds for the MAP sensor to rear atmospheric pressure.)
    If the stock map does not work for a given mod that changed airflow, one must remap (ECU not hobbyist-friendly), or trick the fueling (ala JD piggy-back FI +/- override device), or replace the ECU (a fellow in Italy has released one: spendy, but quite advanced to home-tune with a PC).

I'm looking at jumping back to 2T after a few good years away from smokers mainly KTM 300s, having enjoyed my 14 FE350 very much to date but thinking it's time for a fresh ride.
    The selling point of the "i" bike versus carbed, if it is for-real, would be the smoothness and controlability of power delivery folks claim. If I cannot get close to the tractability I get on my 350 (usability and extent of the power), I may be barking up the wrong tree. (EG, maybe I should wait a year for the 300i to come to the US.)
    I'd appreciate any opinions on that loaded statement.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I thought I'd pop in here and update you on this bike as the EFI is a thing now for 2019. The bike runs absolutely perfect, starts EZ, idles dead steady, never spooges... The EFI is fantastic and a big step up from a carb IMHO. I have had zero issues with the bike. And the topper is this thing gets just shy of 40 MPG in technical trail riding. I just did an amazing 4 day ride in Northern Idaho GNAR and the bike was amazing, got fantastic mileage, ran perfect at all elevations, climbed HUGE long hills easily and was a freaking joy to be on. The House of Horsepower suspension continues to amaze me and has a nice wide range of adjustments making it super versatile. This is a fantastic bike and I think KTM/Husky has taken things to the next level.
    NCSteve and robertaccio like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    no, runs fantastic. Just did 4 days of GNAR south of Wallace ID with huge elevation changes, loved the bike. Gobs of power and no need for a 300 for me. The motor is freaking sweet. I have run it from day one with the FMF and it fit and works perfect.

Are people having issues with how they run? This one is fantastic, way better than a carb. Buddy has the KTM version and it runs perfect as well.

Interesting. I have ridden this bike all over Oregon, Washington, Idaho and California at anywhere from 30-8000 feet elevation / 30-100 degrees temps and it always runs perfect and the same. I really could not be more happy with the motor. Everyone who tries it is amazed how smooth, predictable and strong the motor is. It's several levels above the 2017 TE250 I rode last year.
    robertaccio and cbienusa like this.
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the update!
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    next level change. from the company that OEMs and top tier race teams utilize, Athena/GET.
    TPI 250 All rigged up to data collection on the Pro Circuit dyno the new TPI bikes are down on power due to OEM emissions qualifications settings, data reveals low emissions and lean conditions, which add up to super cool bike but can lean to long term "dry" cylinder issues. Kelly this info comes directly from PC insiders.
    GET brings the spec into a more standard ratio by all the data that they have sent out and with the ability to make changes (probably not even needed as they have optimized the settings during R&D). Worth some research. check with Jeff Slavens for local US test data from a reliable logical source.
    http://www.getdata.it/prodotti.php?idprodotto=431&idcategoria=35&lang=eng
  19. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    If they have to pass Euro spec then that makes sense. I'm sure the GET is priced up there but how cool would it be to update your maps via wifi?!
    robertaccio likes this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    JD also makes a fuel tuner for it. Heard good things. Had zero issues with this one, runs fantastic. Other then the FMF pipe and muffler the motor is stock and I love it exactly as is.