1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

First Oil Change on TE449 - Suggestions

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by firerider, Feb 18, 2015.

1. firerider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley Road Glide
    Need to do my first oil change. Are most people switching to synthetic? and if so what brand and viscosity do you recommend? Is a new filter in order? Owners manual says clean or change after 500 miles.
  2. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I'm running Castrol Power 1 Racing full synthetic 5w40 grade at 5 hourly changes. Now have 150hrs up with no problems at all.
    I run the HiFlo paper filters HF611, these are standards approved but 1/2 the price of the Husky original.
    Lots of guys here are running Mobil 1 synthetic Car oil in 0w40 grade & claim no problems also.
    Also some people run stainless mesh oil filters but they don't do a direct drop in for this model & it has to be adapted.

My personal choice is to avoid these, but others run and by all accounts have no issue.
  3. coleman1495 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    New filter is definitely in order for the first change. I would recommend the change closer to 60 miles. I switched to Mobil 0w40 and it I wouldn't look back(also have recirculation system). Actually makes a scary amount of difference in terms of how the bike runs. Revs faster and runs cooler.

Forget what the owners manual says. Zip-Ty racing is the closest thing you will find to dealer support.
    tonskiguy and Tinken like this.
  4. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    On my 2nd oil change since getting the bike a couple weeks back. I went with Mobil1 0w40 full synthetic after reading many peoples opinions on it. Gear box feels smoother. Also switched out to a metal reusable oil filter from Scott's, and it looks identical in size to the OEM filter. It fit exactly as the OEM did, so no modifying it on my end, but if I've missed something, someone please let me know :)
    tonskiguy likes this.
  5. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    :thumbsup:
    Maybe you could share the part number for the Scotts filter for the guys who want to use them.
    I know Tinkens magnet oil filter cover thread has guys adding spacers to a KTM filter.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  6. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    The Scotts S/S filter cost about $60.00 and is a direct fit. On the other hand a PC167 S/S filter for a KTM 450 costs $22.00 and all you have to do is epoxy a .40 cent disc magnet from a hardware store in the recessed end that is about 3/4" dia, and just under 5/16" thick and it drops right in and extends it's length a bit.

Plus you have a magnet to retain any metallic crap in the oil like the drain plug. Its a good place for a magnet too.

The PC 167 is just a bit shorter than your Scotts filter.

The PC167 is a smaller overall outside diameter though but this allows a higher rate of flow around the filter element itself as there is more space. Claims of 38% flow increase have been made by using the smaller diameter filter.

Works great and is easier to get ahold of then the larger dia. stock or Scotts filter to remove it for service as well.

"ZipTy Racing" sells a slick billet filter cap that has 4 more magnets in it to cap it off. It's removable with a 3/8" socket extension on a breaker bar or ratchet. It's much less likely to fail than you chingering up the 22mm hex head on the stock filter cap.
  7. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Did my first oil change at 300 miles. I've done many since bike has 3200 miles on it now. I change my oil between 300 to 500 miles and use Mobil 1 0-w40 and have no problems. I measure out 1150cc of oil and dump it in. No recirc kit and very minor drip once in a while out the hole in the bottom of the air filter. It's mostly been in sm trim since new, riding in the dirt I would change it a little more often. Also I use distiller water in radiator and have to top it off at oil change, doesn't take very much but keeps my OCD in order. Enjoy...
  8. La Flama Blanca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 kawasaki kx250f
    I've been running amsoil full synthetic 0w-40 for about 1500 miles now. Impressed and pleased with the performance and durability of this oil. I have always used the HiFlo paper filters. Maybe some day I'd get the SS version. I'm also running this with the Zipty recirc. kit and evans waterless coolant. Definetely a cooler setup than stock.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  10. Vustadumas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 1198
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The KTM filter works just as well and is about $20 bucks with your CafeHusky discount. Either way, you're covered now.
  12. asterios36 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449 , WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA VARADERO 1000,
    CASTROL Power 1 full synth and hi flo filter oil and is the best choise for me and many other riders here in Hellas, but don't forget to feel with oil your new filter as it's very important.
  13. gillies Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 R1200GSA
    Oil is a good idea, but, for goodness sake, use a torque wrench when tightening the parts, as I don't know if I can handle hearing about more stripped hex heads.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  14. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I use a Dial type Newton Meter torque wrench all the time.

I've known people with these engines in both Husky's and BMW G450Xs that have had to lay the bike down on it's right side to push straight down and use an impact gun to get the filter caps off. Just to do the first oil change. The stock caps hex head is easily damaged if your socket has much of a chamfer on the end. Best to grind the socket's end off flush on a disc sander or carefully by hand.

After that failed they had to carefully get ahold of the cap's outer circumference on the very narrow ridge of the stock caps with a channel lock to finally get it off, even after using a propane torch as a source of heat. Not much of a ridge their to get ahold of either on the stock ones.

Not worth replacing with another one of the stock one's either.

The ZipTy filter caps are the way to go.
  15. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Ok have 1 hour on new 15 fc450. Gonna do first oil change, opinions on switching to Mobil 1 full synthetic on her or should I run another hour first...thoughts on switching to full synthetic so soon and with only 1 hour or keep running break in oil or a non synthetic?
  16. djdougiedoug Husqvarna
    A Class

I Use a Stainless steel Moose racing filter 0712-0236. It's a bit smaller than the paper filter but works fine. I haven't bothered with a spacer, seems fine without it. Mild road use only so I Use 5w-40 (what evers the cheapest & change every 500 miles or so. 8500 miles and counting!
    Teambowles likes this.